Any Pre Meds with Chronic Illnesses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
monkeydo said:
One of my friends was paralyzed by a freak snowboarding accident during winter break of his freshman year. He gets around with an electric wheel chair, but doesn't have enough use of his hands to do things like write. He is graduating from college this year with a major in Chemical Engineering and is going on to graduate school in Texas. With all the research and everything else he has been doing, I've realized that you can do just about anything despite injury or illness. Those of you who are concerned about making it through medical school, I think you'll be able to, and I hope that you do, because you'll have a unique ability to connect with your patients!
wow, i am thoroughly impressed with his abilites despite his hardship...some people are truly amazing! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

i have severe allergies and asthma. i put it in my personal statement, since my hospitalization for influenza allowed me to meet a doctor with whom i was able to shadow after my release. i mean, how many people going to medical school spent their days before the MCAT in a hospital bed reviewing? because of that hospitalization and the bed rest that preceeded and followed, i lost valuble class time (i was permitted to make most of my work up) and i lost all of my internship oppertunities. my parents always say things happen for a reason, though we may not see or understand it at the time. i realize now that if the physician at my college hadn't been a total *****, i would not have ended up in the hospital, and i would not have been able to meet and shadow with the assistant director of residency programs, who later also wrote my LOR. my grades suffered that semester, but i gained more experience than i thought possible. and i got an internshhip later that was better paying than any i had been too sick to interview for. :) it worked for me in the end. i'll be attending PCOM come august...

i am glad to see so many people here fighting to do what they would like as a profession. it won't be easy...but then what is, in this life?

by the way, has anyone had trouble with a change in health insurance plans? i know that a lot of them now have "pre-existing" clauses, where they will not pay for medications and treatments for a pre-existing condition (i.e. one you knew about before joining their plan). i don't change insurance from my mom's for another year or so, but i worry about this a lot. i can't afford to pay out of pocket for all of my asthma medications....

I have IBS which doesnt sound bad bad it is chronic, and very painfull, and energy draining..I worry all the time about it effecting my success with school, and on top of it I had 7 collapsed lungs last winter and lung surgery that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth...anybody else have a collapsed lung? - Nick

Members don't see this ad :)
I was out half of two semesters during college and managed to make up all the work. One was due to my fiance's death and my almosat breakdown; the other was due to a serious car accident where I suffered a concussion, several broken ribs, a broken scapula, a collapsed lung and I needed a splentectomy in addition to the mental, emotional and psychological pain because it involved a fatality. I did not write about any of this in my PS. Well I actuallydid write about my fiance's illness and death but not about my time off.

I also have an infectious disease which I had to deal with certain factors to keep it controlled, but my major treatment for it was while I was applying to med school and interviewing for it. It was pure hell but I got thru it without having to explain why I was totally exhausted, feeling sick and ready to collapse during several interviews, etc. I absolutely did not want anyone to know about it because it could cause a stigma towards certain specialties and although I essentially no longer have the disease some people/hospitals may hold it against me.

WantsThisBad said:
I have IBS which doesnt sound bad bad it is chronic, and very painfull, and energy draining..I worry all the time about it effecting my success with school, and on top of it I had 7 collapsed lungs last winter and lung surgery that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth...anybody else have a collapsed lung? - Nick
yea i had a collapsed lung after a really bad car accident; it totally sucks, doesn't it?

7 collapsed lungs? whoa!! how did that happen?

I've just got to be sure to take care of me and I know I'll be okay, but yeah, I certainly stress over it.

However, I feel like this is what I'm being led to do, and by that, God will take care of me if I do my best to take care of myself.

Wow, I'm so relieved this thread exists. I'm type I diabetic and I'm applying for med school this year. One of things that has been bugging me though is how I will deal with the years when my time is not really my own (like internships, residencies, etc.) and whether I will be set back in my career as a doctor because I need time off for one reason or another. I guess I'm scared that when I need to take a break it's going to mean a lot of added stress on the people around me. Rarely do I ask for special accomodation because of my condition (mostly because I can control things without getting in other people's ways) but I'm not sure I will know what to say if I have to, say, step out of a surgery because I need to drink some juice. I know that, in theory, doctor's should be about the most forgiving people on this issue, but I can't get stop wondering if what I ultimately decide to do in medicine will be partly decided by what I am physically able to do. Does this worry other people? Is there a way around it?

Also, kudos to all of you for your determination, it's good to know that there are others out there :)

I have chronic GI problems which are almost completely controlled by a VERY strict diet; however, I occassionally will miss a class. I also have problems standing still for excessive periods of time. (No function in my left calf muscle or part of my left foot from a broken back.) I wouldn't even breach this subject during my interviews except that it explains why I didn't do much for two years... oh, and it inspired me to go into medicine. Hopefully my very slight limp won't come be perceived as a weakness....

P.S. I wish this had spell check!

by the way, has anyone had trouble with a change in health insurance plans? i know that a lot of them now have "pre-existing" clauses, where they will not pay for medications and treatments for a pre-existing condition (i.e. one you knew about before joining their plan). i don't change insurance from my mom's for another year or so, but i worry about this a lot. i can't afford to pay out of pocket for all of my asthma medications....

I believe the rule is if there hasn't been a lapse in coverage, they have to cover pre-existing conditions. They could charge you a different fee, of course. Also, the ones who don't cover pre-existing conditions only have that rule for about 12 months generally. After that time, they will cover it.

I have lupus so if I ever lose my health coverage, I don't think anyone else will ever carry me (at least not for less than $800 a month). Insurance companies have told me I'm ineligible for coverage, so I don't take the chance of a lapse.

WantsThisBad said:

I am a M2 and also have IBD (colitis). And while it is hard, most schools are very understanding of chronic illness(ie not cold/flu) and are willing to work with you. I almost missed a final in anatomy and the course director said no one had ever missed the final in 20+ year. But he said we will work something out and told me not to worry. Keep yalls heads up.

A yet-to-be diagnosed connective tissue disorder seems to run in my family. Thus far we have found that it affects me and my dad as well as a few cousins (one of which is a starter for the Notre Dame men's basketball team). We haven't undergone genetic testing, but it seems to be some sort of a defect in collagen.

It caused me to dislocate my shoulder, and as a result I have had surgery twice, and am left with quite a bit of pain. Although I know this probably isn't as bad as what a lot of other people have, I still wonder if I will be able to do what I want to: surgery. Sometimes the pain is really bad, and I can't concentrate on anything because I have an impinged nerve. None the less, I just try to get through it. Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?

Psycho Doctor said:
yea i had a collapsed lung after a really bad car accident; it totally sucks, doesn't it?

7 collapsed lungs? whoa!! how did that happen?

I have no idea. The docs told me it's cuz Im tall and skinny. I woke up one morning and thought I had heartburn...I went to the doctor the next morning because I couldnt stand up straight....I had a 60% collapse. The rest of the winter was one after the next until I elected for surgery. Chest tubes are the worst, and not being able to sneeze for a month sucked too.

CoffeeBlack said:
Wow, I'm so relieved this thread exists. I'm type I diabetic and I'm applying for med school this year. One of things that has been bugging me though is how I will deal with the years when my time is not really my own (like internships, residencies, etc.) and whether I will be set back in my career as a doctor because I need time off for one reason or another. I guess I'm scared that when I need to take a break it's going to mean a lot of added stress on the people around me. Rarely do I ask for special accomodation because of my condition (mostly because I can control things without getting in other people's ways) but I'm not sure I will know what to say if I have to, say, step out of a surgery because I need to drink some juice. I know that, in theory, doctor's should be about the most forgiving people on this issue, but I can't get stop wondering if what I ultimately decide to do in medicine will be partly decided by what I am physically able to do. Does this worry other people? Is there a way around it?

Also, kudos to all of you for your determination, it's good to know that there are others out there :)

Hey. I am a first year at NYMC and I am also a type I diabetic. I was diagnosed at age 3.5. I had, and have, similar concerns that you have, but this is my dream, and I am going for it! PM me if you want to talk

Doglover4fever said:
Is anyone concerned about how living with a chronic illness might impact you in med school?

I have a chronic autoimmune thyroid condition that requires me to take daily medicine or else I become extremly lethargic and lose long term memory capacity. Not as serious as most, but it is a chronic illness none the less. Probably willn't impact my medical school as long as I shell out the money to take the darn pills.

I have fibromyalgia and Multiple Sclerosis. Those are bothering me big time. I feel like give up on med school sometimes. Its going to be a long difficult road but it will be worth it. :)

I thought I went through pretty tough life experience until I see all you guys'. Well, I had a cake walk then. Salute to all you brave and strong people, there is no doubt in my mind you will all reach your goals. And I shall look to yall to strengthen myself.

I have a heart arrythmia so I definitely understand!

Last edited: