any RPH working in psych center?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

spoon714

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I wanted to ask if anyone have any experience in working in a psych center. There was an opening in a state operated psych center and wanted to know what that is like. Looks like they have both inpatient and outpatient. From someone who only has retail experience, is it similar?

Members don't see this ad.

I have a friend who worked in a state psych place for awhile. The biggest problem would be every year around budget time, if the state budget wasn't approved right or was delayed, then employee paychecks would also be delayed (potentially weeks), but you are still expected to work during that time. She really didn't like that and eventually got a different job because of that. So make sure you save money if you take that job. The set up really wasn't much different than one would see in a hospital/nursing home, unit dose meds for in-patient. Obviously, you will see a much bigger range and amount of psych meds than you would see in a general hospital/nursing home/retail pharmacy.l

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a few questions for your friend if he or she is available to answer. Did your friend take a civil exam for this position? Do they remember what it was like? I'm just curious what the exam would be like since it looks like there are actual review books..., which reminds me of school.

I have a friend who worked in a state psych place for awhile. The biggest problem would be every year around budget time, if the state budget wasn't approved right or was delayed, then employee paychecks would also be delayed (potentially weeks), but you are still expected to work during that time. She really didn't like that and eventually got a different job because of that. So make sure you save money if you take that job. The set up really wasn't much different than one would see in a hospital/nursing home, unit dose meds for in-patient. Obviously, you will see a much bigger range and amount of psych meds than you would see in a general hospital/nursing home/retail pharmacy.l

I don't think they had to, I'll see if I can find out for sure.