any tips for getting into your dream specialty?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemons24limes

Reaction score
Hi everyone! im starting vet school at oregon state in the fall and as of now I think i want to end up specializing in surgery. Does anyone have any tips on how to better my chances at getting into an internship and residency after vet school? Also if theres anyone who is doing a surgery internship or residency right now how is it? I know its very competitive to get into this specialty so I want to plan ahead and make sure I do everything I can to try and make it happen.
Thanks in advance !!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
@SocialStigma is a surgeon and might have specific insight.

I’m not a surgeon but most residencies come down to networking, networking, networking and as good of grades as you can possibly get. Things like cool experiences and research definitely help too but won’t overcome subpar grades or a lack of strong letters of recommendation.

Congrats on the vet school acceptance! As JaynaAli mentioned, I'm a small animal surgeon. The field of surgery is quite competitive and it's great that you're investigating this early on to maximize your chances of matching. The best thing you can do during vet school is to maintain a high class rank/GPA, get some research experience if possible, and demonstrate an interest in surgery (doing additional surgery electives etc) so that you can get to know the surgery faculty. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the vet school acceptance! As JaynaAli mentioned, I'm a small animal surgeon. The field of surgery is quite competitive and it's great that you're investigating this early on to maximize your chances of matching. The best thing you can do during vet school is to maintain a high class rank/GPA, get some research experience if possible, and demonstrate an interest in surgery (doing additional surgery electives etc) so that you can get to know the surgery faculty. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
thank you so much for your input! i wouldnt of thought that research experience would be important so thats good to know. and i will also pm you :)

Late to see this but I talked to our head of surgery at the beginning of first year to see what I needed to keep the path to surgery open. He said about the same things you have heard. He said number one keep your grades up, he wants residents who were at the top of their class. Number two get research experience, preferably get published. That is even an prerequisite for some residencies. And number 3 show interest in surgery and get to know the professors. He mentioned a summer research program that our school, and many other vet schools have. He said that would be perfect. I applied and was accepted and just started that on Monday. Did my first genotyping for my research on Tuesday! After learning more I'm also very interested in cardiology. I started by asking the professor that taught the cardiology portion of physiology if I could shadow him a few hours a week. Now I'm working with him (paid) and writing a paper with him this summer along with the research. So networking is a big thing.

Reactions: 3 users