Anybody know somebody with felony or misdemeanor who had good cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

voxveritatisetlucis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
-In other words, is checking the felony or misdemeanor box a death knell to an otherwise stellar application? Should I mentally prepare myself for not getting any IIs despite profs and physician family friends saying “It is impossible that you won’t get in somewhere.”

-Will admcoms even read apps if these boxes are checked or throw it into the barrel without even looking through?

-How much less of an impact would a misdemeanor have compared to a felony?

-If accepted after checking one of these boxes and then it also comes up on the background check, will acceptances be taken away even if honest and upfront about it through process. In other words, what are the changes of slipping by without the box check being noticed until the background check
Thank you!
@LizzyM @Goro @gonnif

Members don't see this ad.

What you need is time. Lots of time depending on the severity of your charge(s). And no, I don’t personally know a single person with felony or misdemeanor who got into any med school but they all had bad MCAT and GPA too so who knows.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m 3.99/521 so hopefully will be enough to look past. Letters of recommendation address it but might not be enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
-In other words, is checking the felony or misdemeanor box a death knell to an otherwise stellar application? Should I mentally prepare myself for not getting any IIs despite profs and physician family friends saying “It is impossible that you won’t get in somewhere.”

-Will admcoms even read apps if these boxes are checked or throw it into the barrel without even looking through?

-How much less of an impact would a misdemeanor have compared to a felony?

-If accepted after checking one of these boxes and then it also comes up on the background check, will acceptances be taken away even if honest and upfront about it through process. In other words, what are the changes of slipping by without the box check being noticed until the background check
Thank you!
@LizzyM @Goro @gonnif
Misdemeanor =/ felony.

Can you get in with a misdemeanor given a couple years and otherwise favorable app? Yes.

Can you get in with a felony? Maybe, but you need a lot more time, a pretty compelling comeback story (i.e. good reason why a school should take a chance on you), a broad application, and a little luck. Even after that, residency matching will still be a challenge. Additionally, getting a DEA license depending on the offense will also be difficult.

To put the offense in context. It certainly was bad and I deeply regret the choices I made but I have been fine with getting through corporate background checks even though the offense comes up. But I am not sure if corporations care less than med schools?

It depends. I know a physician who did jail time during the civil rights movement (while still a teenager) and someone who went to med school, started residency and got licensed with an outstanding warrant for anti-war demonstrations. Of courese, that was the 1960s. YMMV

"Would we want someone who did that in our academic community?" Every adcom has to ask itself that question and the answer may be different from group to group and from year to year as sensibilites change and the composition of adcoms change.

Reactions: 3 users
It depends. I know a physician who did jail time during the civil rights movement (while still a teenager) and someone who went to med school, started residency and got licensed with an outstanding warrant for anti-war demonstrations. Of courese, that was the 1960s. YMMV

"Would we want someone who did that in our academic community?" Every adcom has to ask itself that question and the answer may be different from group to group and from year to year as sensibilites change and the composition of adcoms change.
I had an applicant arrested at Harvard as an undergrad (demonstrating for a living wage for the food service workers). As you can imagine, it didn't hurt them at all!

A medical school’s Mission is to produce doctors for further training and ultimately practice in the community. For an admissions committee, The issue with having any criminal record is the perceived probability of being granted a license to practice medicine. There are multiple intervening issues such as impact on rotations, which hospitals may have policy or state regulations concerning those with criminal records, and residency for the same reasons. So no matter the details of the crime this huge red flag or he gets raised. With so many qualified people applying to medical school, whether it is a misdemeanor or felony it is still a huge issue.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
It’s really going to have to depend on misdemeanor vs felony and then just the nature of the crime

Reactions: 1 user
For the love of all things holy, just tell us what you did (factually, don't try to spin things) so people can actually advise you.

For the love of all things holy, just tell us what you did (factually, don't try to spin things) so people can actually advise you.
Possession of something on the order of a controlled substance with intent to sell. Also attempting to evade arrest in I think assault on an officer. Whatever it was the last two charges were dropped

I think there was an IA involved as well.

It’s it’s a substance thing, that’s one of the bad natures just due to you getting a DEA license. The resisting arrest would extremely extremely bad too. Sometimes the goose is cooked.

Reactions: 1 users
I am not saying that it is but what if it was more along the lines of a dwi when 20 as sophomore

I am not saying that it is but what if it was more along the lines of a dwi when 20 as sophomore

You should be okay. There are people on here that get in with misdemeanor DUIs from a couple years back

unrelated since the post asked about admission but there are also certain rules regarding federal financial aid if you have a drug-related conviction. not exactly sure how it works but recently did my FAFSA and it asked about drug charges. something to consider looking into if your parents aren't footing the bill for med school

Status
Not open for further replies.