Should I apply this cycle or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kswyjc

Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad last spring and have been indecisive about applying to medical school. After graduating, I turned down being a scribe because I didn't want to be just limited to med school if I wanted to pursue some other type of public health/health policy route. But then, I kind of didn't know what to do and was pretty stagnant for awhile...

I just started AmeriCorps this month in a public health position. Throughout college, I volunteered at the hospital with entrance screening patients for COVID and with delivering meals to patients (about 80-90 hours total - mainly the second activity). I also volunteered as a peer advocate at a mental health center (42 hours). The summer after my junior year, I did a clinical research internship and shadowed an ER pediatrician (30-40 hours). Since graduating, I shadowed a primary care pediatrician for a bit (~12 hours). I've been studying for the MCAT since late December, less so now that I started working full time, but I believe that I could get a decent score in the next few months to apply. However, I know my clinical experience is lacking with only 80-90 hours. I've only just started my AmeriCorps program, and I have gotten a couple hours of clinical experience that was cool, but it's not a consistent activity and I'm not sure how much experience I will get by May.

Would it be better to wait another year to apply after finishing AmeriCorps and doing some other volunteering on the side? Tbh, I don't feel like I have a lot to talk about from my hospital volunteering, and it feels weird for the majority of my application to be primarily based on these next few months... But damn, 3 gap years.
If I should apply next cycle, should I still try to take the MCAT soon? My GPA is 3.8X

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You have very little exposure to clinical settings and patients. Signing on the dotted line to spend a boat-load of money and many years of your life, to professional education for a career you have little insight into is not a recipe for success in admissions.
Better to do it right and only do it once than to botch it and have 3 gap years (or more) for your trouble. Also consider the time, money, and emotional distress of an application cycle that might yield nothing.

Reactions: 1 users
You have very little exposure to clinical settings and patients. Signing on the dotted line to spend a boat-load of money and many years of your life, to professional education for a career you have little insight into is not a recipe for success in admissions.
Better to do it right and only do it once than to botch it and have 3 gap years (or more) for your trouble. Also consider the time, money, and emotional distress of an application cycle that might yield nothing.
Oof it is 3 gap years if I don't apply this cycle though, right? Because applying next year would be for Fall of 2026. But yeah I see your point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated from undergrad last spring and have been indecisive about applying to medical school. After graduating, I turned down being a scribe because I didn't want to be just limited to med school if I wanted to pursue some other type of public health/health policy route. But then, I kind of didn't know what to do and was pretty stagnant for awhile...

I just started AmeriCorps this month in a public health position. Throughout college, I volunteered at the hospital with entrance screening patients for COVID and with delivering meals to patients (about 80-90 hours total - mainly the second activity). I also volunteered as a peer advocate at a mental health center (42 hours). The summer after my junior year, I did a clinical research internship and shadowed an ER pediatrician (30-40 hours). Since graduating, I shadowed a primary care pediatrician for a bit (~12 hours). I've been studying for the MCAT since late December, less so now that I started working full time, but I believe that I could get a decent score in the next few months to apply. However, I know my clinical experience is lacking with only 80-90 hours. I've only just started my AmeriCorps program, and I have gotten a couple hours of clinical experience that was cool, but it's not a consistent activity and I'm not sure how much experience I will get by May.

Would it be better to wait another year to apply after finishing AmeriCorps and doing some other volunteering on the side? Tbh, I don't feel like I have a lot to talk about from my hospital volunteering, and it feels weird for the majority of my application to be primarily based on these next few months... But damn, 3 gap years.
If I should apply next cycle, should I still try to take the MCAT soon? My GPA is 3.8X
We have a Public Health forum too.

It's better to apply once with your best possible application. How are you doing on the MCAT? What about your letters?

Reactions: 1 user

Wait. You're not ready now.

I took 3 to wait until I was ready, seems to be going well so far. It's a journey, make sure you're all set to try to get through it in 1 go.