Anybody received a secondary that isn't from TX or EDP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flopotomist

I love the Chicago USPS
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering how long it will be before secondaries start to arrive (and gotta figure out how many cans I need to recycle before I have to start mailing those checks lol)

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people received georgetown secondaries today. Mr. Larkin started sending the USF secondaries as well. A few people on here got some from Medical College of Georgia, and one person got one from UMDNJ-RWJ.

So the season is officially FULL CIRCLE now. Here comes another crazy application cycle.

I got one from Georgetown today but think they are sending them out alphabetically because I know some people haven't gotten theirs yet. I have also heard that penn. residents have gotten emails from Jefferson saying they would be sending them soon. Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does everyone get a secondary from USF?

LolaLee said:
Does everyone get a secondary from USF?

No and yes. In a sense they screen, but their cutoffs for screening are so low that most people will probably meet them.

They have a bare minimum of 3.0GPA in both Overall and BCPM GPAs and 24MCAT

They generally send an email to all applicants who have applied via AMCAS saying to double check that they meet the requirements. If they do, then they are told to respond back to REL Larkin and ask for an electronic secondary which they have to fill out.

Mr. Larkin posted on here some time ago and said that the quickest the exchange has happened is 6 minutes, but usually it happens within a few hours. He's really on top of things too.

Are you applying at USF???

Yup- I'm applying there. Are you applying there too? You seem to know a lot about the school! I haven't received an email or anything from them yet though. I'm an out of stater too so I probably have a slim to none chance of getting in there :)

LolaLee said:
Yup- I'm applying there. Are you applying there too? You seem to know a lot about the school! I haven't received an email or anything from them yet though. I'm an out of stater too so I probably have a slim to none chance of getting in there :)

I'm an undergrad here, so I've communicated with Mr. Larkin, Dr. Specter, Dr. Williams, etc. on many occasions. Just to clarify who those names are.......

Larkin who also posts on here as REL, is the admissions director.

Dr. Specter is the Dean of Student Affairs and Admissions

Dr. Williams is one of two permanent members of the adcom, a higher up in the office of diversity initiatives office, and a biochem professor for the MS1's.

Try PM'ing Mr. Larkin or emailing him at [email protected]

I don't know if they have different cutoffs for out of state students, but he'll be better for answering that question.

As per out of state students, there are a few that have gotten in USF in the past year. They have recently started to accept a few very qualified individuals from out of state. I know a girl from South Carolina who will be attending there in the fall.

Another person on SDN was from NY last year and got into USF.

So you never know.

Like I said, PM Mr. Larkin (Username REL) or email him at the email address above.

As per me applying.........I plan on doing an SMP before I apply, to make myself more competitive. However, this past year, the people I woulda graduated with (had I graduated on time) all got accepted to USF med school. Well what I mean is that 20-30 friends of mine, that I've known for a range of 2-4 years, got into the medical school.

So their experiences with the process and words of wisdom and inside knowledge about interview experiences etc etc. etc. taught me a lot and gave me a lot of insight into USF admissions process.

Previous experiences with the 3 people in the admissions office (through AED and Premed AMSA meetings and Premedical forums) also gave me insight into admissions process at USF.

Wow! Thanks for all the info and encouragement. You should get in there just for writing a nice, long description of their program :) Good luck to you!

LolaLee said:
Wow! Thanks for all the info and encouragement. You should get in there just for writing a nice, long description of their program :) Good luck to you!

ha!!! Too funny. No problema. I have had too much time on my hands lately, so I don't mind spending it answering questions on SDN.

cool.. how fun, a whole bucket full of threads with this same idea have popped up... but for the record, mine was first! MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Can we please keep clean and not sprout out so many threads on secondaries

gujudoc, you're like the emcee of the 2006 application cycle! :laugh:

AxlxA said:
Can we please keep clean and not sprout out so many threads on secondaries
Hey! I was the original post - so go post your "anti-sprouting" campaign on one of the posts riding on my coat tails. (said in a jovial jest)

chaeymaey said:
gujudoc, you're like the emcee of the 2006 application cycle! :laugh:

Thanks, anytime. I have no life and am bored so spend too much time on SDN. :D

Seriously though,

After we went through so much with the MCAT over a course of half a year, I came to feel like I really got to know you guys real well. In a lot of ways, I felt a lot closer to you all then I did to the people who were studying to take the MCAT, when I took it the first time around. So I'd like to see you guys to the end and see how it turns out for you all. Also, after seeing what my friends (some who I'd been with since freshmen year) went through, the whole process became a real eye opener for me. More of an eye opener then anything that any adcom director at an AMSA or AED meeting really gave. It was weird too, cuz the previous year everyone that I knew went off to the Carribbean for med school. So it was really great seeing so many students get into USF COM and other places in and out of Fl. Especially when some of these people went through as much hell as some of the posters on here, with the MCATs. Some took it 3 times and still couldn't get higher then a 26 or 27. I remember how frustrating it was too. They had stellar GPAs, but the verbal just kicked their but to no ends. I remember last summer, when a guy who I had done research with was applying. I'd known him since 2 summers ago, and I'd seen how badly he struggled with the MCAT. He did good in sciences but could never bring his verbal up much. His verbal was about the same as mine. He'd even take the test 3 times and his overall score only increased by one pt. So he really needed someone to help him calm down about the stress of the whole process and what not, and to help him with the AMCAS. I had filled one out partially to keep my info in perspective, so knew the format. So I was pretty much up around 12AM talking to him on quite many nights last year. It was real nerve wrecking. I'd seen a lot of other friends go through this same sort of ordeal too. Even though it wasn't me who was in that position, it was stressful cuz these were really really close friends who I got to know real well. So I know how precious having even one acceptance can be.

If there is one thing you learn, realize that it only takes one acceptance to be an MD. so if that's all you get, don't throw it away due to pickiness. There are a lot of people who would die to trade shoes with you.

The other thing I'd like to say to you and others is that never give up hope. Some of these people that I'm talking about above were ready to go to the Carribbean if that is what it meant. They didn't want DO route and were almost ready to give up when they received the acceptance calls. So you never know what may happen. But again, like I said......

I've got to know you all a lot through 6 months of pure hell (4 mo. for studying for the MCAT and 2 for waiting period for scores) and wish to see how the end turns out. Hopefully this year will be as good a year as last year if not better.

I've gotten one from Georgetown and University of Virginia. WHoop!

$115(Georgetown) + $75(UVA) so far

George Washington University just sent the secondary.