Anyone done the Hampton Univ. Master of Medical Science Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey,

Oh okay,well good luck with physics! I have already sent in my application but I need to send in my tests scores and then my application will me complete.

Members don't see this ad.

was just accepted for fall 2012, anyone else accepted?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
VCU won't look at your application until the Spring of your second year (unless your scores are REALLY good). EVMS won't look at you unless your score is like a 26+.

No, there is no linkage agreement with any schools, but i guess the medical schools within Virginia may give hampton students preference?( evms or vcm)
I plan on applying as soon as I am able to take my mcats, have you taken the dat yet or sent in your app?

I'm not sure about how the DAT is scored, but I honestly don't think there's a minimum score (unless they recently decided to change the policy). I wouldn't contact the graduate office about the score question. You need to speak do the director himself, and he can tell you.

As far as class size, that might be true about the 20. My class had 19. The class after me I think had like 24, which they found to be too many people. So they may have changed it.

I'm so confused. I recently applied to Hampton's Post Bacc program. They have all my information except my DAT scores because I haven't taken it yet. I was originally told that their was no minimum score I needed to get accepted. But one of the ladies who I spoke with at Hampton told me that their was a minimum score of 12. Is this true?

A really good friend of mine from undergrad is currently in the 2nd year of this program and seems to enjoy it. I took 2 years off after UVa (intended to only take one off, but I was in a bad car accident and recovery was hell) and I am planning on taking the MCAT this fall so I can apply by the deadline. My diagnostic MCAT was in the mid-20s back in 2009 and I start studying full-time next week, so crossing my fingers that I can do well on a late April/early May exam.

Hey I recently got my acceptance letter for fall 2011! Has anyone else heard anything? If so have you heard anything about financial aid yet or is it too early? Thx

I am assuming that you got your letter through the mail. Was there an email notification as well?

I got my acceptance in the mail, not email. Why did you apply already and waiting to hear back?

I'm pre-med. Did you have the online interview as well? If so, how soon was it that you were accepted after interviewing?

Last edited:
what worries me most is the fin aid package. two years of school is hard to finance, especially having to rely entirely on loans. i hope the award letter comes soon.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Denriq, thats so true and I am worried about the award letter as well. They said they dont see me in the system yet, so I'm not sure how long it will take before I hear something about it.:scared: Also, how long has it been since you got your acceptance letter? Did they say you were in the system and give you a time frame as to when you will know something? Oh yeah, are you planning a campus visit over the summer? (I need to
check out housing, thats assuming I hopefully get good financial aid)

Young Star,

I hear back about my acceptance about two to three weeks after the online interview.

I got my accepance early march, but I'm still waiting on the finaid package. Unfortunately, I won't be able to visit campus ahead of time, I'll be cutting it close. I am excited about the program, I just don't know if I'm 100% sure if I'll be going cause' I'm waiting to hear from another program first.

I'm strongly considering applying to this program to start in Fall 2012, has anyone heard anything regarding financial aid/award package?

I'm strongly considering applying to this program to start in Fall 2012, has anyone heard anything regarding financial aid/award package?

I just submitted my Fafsa last night, so hopefully I'll hear something by the end of the week.

Let me be straightforward. My biggest worry is money. Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to make it through this program if you probably couldn't qualify for credit-based loans?

Heads up for the idlers in the forum. When award letters arrive next month (supposedly), for those that will be needing a roommate, let's hook up through sdn and pm each other contact info. I'm not familiar with VA so I wouldn't know where to find a roommate and if at all possible I'd like to avoid having to rent out a single apt. And of course, it would be a lot easier rooming with someone already in the same program.

Let me be straightforward. My biggest worry is money. Does anyone know the likelihood of being able to make it through this program if you probably couldn't qualify for credit-based loans?

That's a good question. All I know is I only got a little bit from the ubsubs and subs fed loan. Not nearly enough to support me going to this school. Have you registered for classes? I'm sort of confused as to how this whole process works for them. :-S

That's a good question. All I know is I only got a little bit from the ubsubs and subs fed loan. Not nearly enough to support me going to this school. Have you registered for classes? I'm sort of confused as to how this whole process works for them. :-S

Have you already started the program, or did you already get your award letter? Wow, that kinda' worries me hearing "not nearly enough to support me."

Have you already started the program, or did you already get your award letter? Wow, that kinda' worries me hearing "not nearly enough to support me."

No, I haven't started. Just accepted for Fall 2011. But I really don't think this is my actual award letter posted on HUnet

Hey I know this post is old.. But did you attend this program? I am deciding between here and Barry. I have been accepted to both. Any suggestions?

I have 7 friends that completed this program.

2 MD (Caribbean)
1 DMD
3 DO
1 No med school, but I don't know of that was by choice or not

They all have graduated from their professional degree program and matched.

Hey! I just turned in my application for fall 2014. wanted to get it in as early as possible because of the rolling admission process. Who else?

I would love for my application to be complete already but I'm taking the MCAT in March. So I'll probably be applying late :(

@bmelton109 have you heard anything yet?

Yes, are you looking to apply or applied already?

I was accepted. Wanted to know more stats about the program. Do you how many get accepted to med school after completing the program?

Just found out I got accepted. Any info from alums about the program?

Hey guys, I just completed my first year of the program. If you have any questions I suggest sending me a PM. I could answer any questions that you may have about the program.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Hey guys, I just completed my first year of the program. If you have any questions I suggest sending me a PM. I could answer any questions that you may have about the program.

Posted using SDN Mobile

About how many students get accepted to medical school after completing the degree?

Reactions: 1 user
About how many students get accepted to medical school after completing the degree?

Sorry for this late reply! (finals) I will post in this thread an answer that I gave to someone who asked me in a pm. Hope this answers your question.
"When considering doing any post-bacc/master's program there is a few things to consider. First, is the information in the first year (or entire program) going to help prepare me for the MCAT/DAT. Second, the length of the program itself the program at Hampton is a 2 year program. Third, cost always plays an important factor and since doing a program like this is somewhat of a detour/alternate rout to dental/medical school you do not want to rack up a bunch of debt. Lastly, what will you get out of the program a Master's degree is a good incentive versus the certificate programs.
As far as the program in specific, there has been quite a few acceptances for the pre med students in the second year. I think there were about 14 students in the second year, with about 9 or 10 being pre med. About 6 of them were accepted into medical school. The other 3-4 may have had some other things going on. This program is what you make it, if you take it seriously and utilize it to create opportunity for yourself you will succeed. My classmates have not taken the MCAT yet, most will be taking it in a few weeks and some in the summer. A few things that I personally like about the program is that the Kaplan MCAT/DAT course is included in the tuition, the exposure to Medical and Dental Schools are great, there are speakers coming sometimes 3-4 times a week and you could make connections with those individuals for medical school, and most of all my graduate school is free (there are a lot of Graduate Assistantships at this school that will either pay 100%, 80%, or 60% of school plus monthly stipends. If you decide to come I would definitely suggest taking a trip to come here and look for these positions. In person is always better than email), the class size is small enough to get personalized attention and the campus is beautiful (by the water).

A few dislikes: As a pre dental student the exposure to dental schools are not as grand as the exposure to medical schools. The program is heavy pre-med focused with few pre-dental focus (really doesn't apply to you), and sometimes the faculty can seem unorganized... just to name a few.

I also was accepted into Barry University Biomedical Science program which is 1 year vs this 2 year program but what sold me on this program is that the first year's class content was relevant to the DAT/MCAT (so you get an extensive review), the cost was much less here, and school was paid for 100% because of the graduate assistantship that I received"

Reactions: 1 user
I recently just received my acceptance letter. I was wondering if anyone has committed to attending this fall?

@darrylerich look at you keeping up the thread! Hey everyone! I also just completed my first year of the program (pre-med) and if you have any questions especially since the MCAT will be changing in January 2015 I will gladly answer them.

Last edited:
@darrylerich look at you keeping up the thread! Hey everyone! I also just completed my first year of the program (pre-med) and if you have any questions especially since the MCAT will be changing in January 2015 I will gladly answer them.

Hey I have a few questions:

1) Is it too late to apply for Fall 2014 start?
2) How helpful was the MCAT prep year in bringing up your composite score?
3) Were you able to live on campus? If not, how did off campus work?
4) How were your fellow classmates?
5) How helpful were the staff? Were they patient? Accessible?
6) I emailed Jara Clark (Mr. Druitt's secretary) and she'd informed me of the impending changes to the program to accommodate the 2015 MCAT change. Hvae those taken place? If so, what were they?
7) How badly in debt were you? Did the financial package cover most of your expenses?

Sorry, for the bombardment of questions - I would really appreciate any piece of advice you can offer! :)

Hey I have a few questions:

1) Is it too late to apply for Fall 2014 start?
2) How helpful was the MCAT prep year in bringing up your composite score?
3) Were you able to live on campus? If not, how did off campus work?
4) How were your fellow classmates?
5) How helpful were the staff? Were they patient? Accessible?
6) I emailed Jara Clark (Mr. Druitt's secretary) and she'd informed me of the impending changes to the program to accommodate the 2015 MCAT change. Hvae those taken place? If so, what were they?
7) How badly in debt were you? Did the financial package cover most of your expenses?

Sorry, for the bombardment of questions - I would really appreciate any piece of advice you can offer! :)

No worries! I can definitely answer your questions!

1.) I believe the deadline is very close. June 1st I think but don't quote me on that. Ms. Clark would be more help to let you know the deadline. However, I do recall some of my classmates telling me that they were accepted late in the summer last year.

2.) The MCAT prep year was very helpful if you work hard. I know this sounds like a repeated theme but this program is what you make it. There are a lot of prep materials provided to students, but its up to you to actually study from them. The staff is there for support but no one is going to hold your hand and tell you to study for an exam. With that being said completing some of the prep materials count as part of a course grade. On top of taking the pre-med courses everyone is enrolled in a Kaplan MCAT prep course (not something you have to pay out of pocket for soon as you arrive, included in your tuition) in which you listen to lectures and take practice tests.This helps tremendously bc. you have the option to retake/renew the course for the spring so you can use Kaplan's resources essentially almost a full year. So to sum it all up if you take the MCAT prep year seriously you will raise your score enough to get into medical school.

3.) You can live on campus, you do not have to live off on campus. I think most of my class actually lived off campus except for the people who were dorm graduate assistants. I live off campus and love it. If you do live on campus I believe you stay in a graduate dorm and you will have a meal plan. I think its more expensive to stay on campus than off, but depending on circumstances such as not having transportation its more of a personal choice. There are lots of apartments that are not to far of a drive from campus and not to expensive especially if you have a roommate.

4.) There are 32 people in my class, which is pretty big considering we are twice the size of the class before us. Of those 32 five of them are men, but I like all my classmates. Like any class we had minor issues in the beginning but worked it out and we are all very supportive of each other and respect each other. We offered each other tutoring sessions, and study groups. Also anything we found helpful we sent it to each other through email.

5.) The staff are patient and accessible if you have any issue they will work with you. Professors are available to answer questions after class and they have office hours. Also the staff responds well to email. If you need to meet with Mr.Druitt for any reason you can schedule an appointment or walk in his office to see if he is available to speak to you. Most of the time his door is open although he does have other duties besides our program.

6.) I am not sure about the impending changes to the program because we were the last class for the current MCAT. When we completed the first year at the end of April I had not heard any news about it. Im sure they will be changing your first year schedule to account for social sciences and biochemistry that will be covered on the 2015 MCAT.

7.) I was lucky enough to have my undergraduate degree paid for so this is the first time I have had student loans. Yes it is expensive, and I will be some amount of debt as most of us will once we leave Hampton. The financial aid did cover most of my expenses as I think it covers depending on you financial aid package and how much you take out about (3k -8k) a refund per semester. So you can live off of that here in Hampton. Just to warn you though don't expect to get a refund right away. I graduated undergrad from a PWI and was use to getting a refund weeks before school started but this is not the case at here. You will most likely be two weeks into school before you receive a refund and thats if everything goes according to plan.

I hope I have answered all of your questions! Best of luck to you!

No worries! I can definitely answer your questions!

1.) I believe the deadline is very close. June 1st I think but don't quote me on that. Ms. Clark would be more help to let you know the deadline. However, I do recall some of my classmates telling me that they were accepted late in the summer last year.

2.) The MCAT prep year was very helpful if you work hard. I know this sounds like a repeated theme but this program is what you make it. There are a lot of prep materials provided to students, but its up to you to actually study from them. The staff is there for support but no one is going to hold your hand and tell you to study for an exam. With that being said completing some of the prep materials count as part of a course grade. On top of taking the pre-med courses everyone is enrolled in a Kaplan MCAT prep course (not something you have to pay out of pocket for soon as you arrive, included in your tuition) in which you listen to lectures and take practice tests.This helps tremendously bc. you have the option to retake/renew the course for the spring so you can use Kaplan's resources essentially almost a full year. So to sum it all up if you take the MCAT prep year seriously you will raise your score enough to get into medical school.

3.) You can live on campus, you do not have to live off on campus. I think most of my class actually lived off campus except for the people who were dorm graduate assistants. I live off campus and love it. If you do live on campus I believe you stay in a graduate dorm and you will have a meal plan. I think its more expensive to stay on campus than off, but depending on circumstances such as not having transportation its more of a personal choice. There are lots of apartments that are not to far of a drive from campus and not to expensive especially if you have a roommate.

4.) There are 32 people in my class, which is pretty big considering we are twice the size of the class before us. Of those 32 five of them are men, but I like all my classmates. Like any class we had minor issues in the beginning but worked it out and we are all very supportive of each other and respect each other. We offered each other tutoring sessions, and study groups. Also anything we found helpful we sent it to each other through email.

5.) The staff are patient and accessible if you have any issue they will work with you. Professors are available to answer questions after class and they have office hours. Also the staff responds well to email. If you need to meet with Mr.Druitt for any reason you can schedule an appointment or walk in his office to see if he is available to speak to you. Most of the time his door is open although he does have other duties besides our program.

6.) I am not sure about the impending changes to the program because we were the last class for the current MCAT. When we completed the first year at the end of April I had not heard any news about it. Im sure they will be changing your first year schedule to account for social sciences and biochemistry that will be covered on the 2015 MCAT.

7.) I was lucky enough to have my undergraduate degree paid for so this is the first time I have had student loans. Yes it is expensive, and I will be some amount of debt as most of us will once we leave Hampton. The financial aid did cover most of my expenses as I think it covers depending on you financial aid package and how much you take out about (3k -8k) a refund per semester. So you can live off of that here in Hampton. Just to warn you though don't expect to get a refund right away. I graduated undergrad from a PWI and was use to getting a refund weeks before school started but this is not the case at here. You will most likely be two weeks into school before you receive a refund and thats if everything goes according to plan.

I hope I have answered all of your questions! Best of luck to you!

Yes, you did and I really appreciate it! I know that response took a while lol. I have an additional question about the dorm graduate assistants. Who's eligible and how do you apply for a position? Thanks again!

I believe anyone is eligible if they can make the commitment to live in the dorm basically as graduate dorm resident for the undergrads.To live in the dorm for free, a monthly stipend, and huge amount of your schooling paid for can be worth it to individuals. I think you can contact the Hampton University deans. There is a dean of women and a dean of men who oversea the dorms. Their phone numbers should be on the Hampton website or you can just call Ms. Clark she should know. Also Darrylerich is one and he would know exactly who to contact.

I believe anyone is eligible if they can make the commitment to live in the dorm basically as graduate dorm resident for the undergrads.To live in the dorm for free, a monthly stipend, and huge amount of your schooling paid for can be worth it to individuals. I think you can contact the Hampton University deans. There is a dean of women and a dean of men who oversea the dorms. Their phone numbers should be on the Hampton website or you can just call Ms. Clark she should know. Also Darrylerich is one and he would know exactly who to contact.
That's awesome! I'm just worried I won't get my transcripts and rec letters in by the 1st. I wonder if they allow us to fax them over...hmmm I'll ask Ms. Clark! lol Thanks again! :)

For the graduate assistantships did you just go to different departments asking if they had positions available?

Sorry for this late reply! (finals) I will post in this thread an answer that I gave to someone who asked me in a pm. Hope this answers your question.
"When considering doing any post-bacc/master's program there is a few things to consider. First, is the information in the first year (or entire program) going to help prepare me for the MCAT/DAT. Second, the length of the program itself the program at Hampton is a 2 year program. Third, cost always plays an important factor and since doing a program like this is somewhat of a detour/alternate rout to dental/medical school you do not want to rack up a bunch of debt. Lastly, what will you get out of the program a Master's degree is a good incentive versus the certificate programs.
As far as the program in specific, there has been quite a few acceptances for the pre med students in the second year. I think there were about 14 students in the second year, with about 9 or 10 being pre med. About 6 of them were accepted into medical school. The other 3-4 may have had some other things going on. This program is what you make it, if you take it seriously and utilize it to create opportunity for yourself you will succeed. My classmates have not taken the MCAT yet, most will be taking it in a few weeks and some in the summer. A few things that I personally like about the program is that the Kaplan MCAT/DAT course is included in the tuition, the exposure to Medical and Dental Schools are great, there are speakers coming sometimes 3-4 times a week and you could make connections with those individuals for medical school, and most of all my graduate school is free (there are a lot of Graduate Assistantships at this school that will either pay 100%, 80%, or 60% of school plus monthly stipends. If you decide to come I would definitely suggest taking a trip to come here and look for these positions. In person is always better than email), the class size is small enough to get personalized attention and the campus is beautiful (by the water).

A few dislikes: As a pre dental student the exposure to dental schools are not as grand as the exposure to medical schools. The program is heavy pre-med focused with few pre-dental focus (really doesn't apply to you), and sometimes the faculty can seem unorganized... just to name a few.

I also was accepted into Barry University Biomedical Science program which is 1 year vs this 2 year program but what sold me on this program is that the first year's class content was relevant to the DAT/MCAT (so you get an extensive review), the cost was much less here, and school was paid for 100% because of the graduate assistantship that I received"

Hey everyone, Im applying for Fall 2015, and wanted to know how long after submitting everything (test scores, transcripts, etc) did you hear back from regarding acceptance or denial?? Thanks

I applied mid November and found out at the end of January last year.