Anyone feel torn between their dream and compromise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

davincicode

Bio-Linguist
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I shouldn't be complaining... but I just wanted to see if there are others right now who feel the way I do. So, I'm in Univ of Rochester...and I can't complain.... I did like the school when I visited... but I'm also waiting for Mayo.... And the waiting is just getting to me... I mean, I've put so much effort into Mayo...and this process is just pissing me off. And it also makes me wonder... here is Mayo... my dream school... tho not in the most ideal location, a small class size, yet it is a phenomenal hospital...and then U of R...a good program, but at least for me, nothing that wow-ed me...

And so I'm wondering... is it better to fix ur heart on your dream school, and reapply and do whatever is in your power to go there even though they have ranked u as a secondary candidate (ie, waitlist at Mayo)... or do you go to the school that accepted you right from the beginning and trusted in your abilities even though you may not love them as much (U of R)...

It's such a dilemma... do u keep hoping and letting each acceptance on the waitlist get to you, knowing that you are one step closer, yet still overlooked....and you feel like a secondary applicant more and more... Or do you just let it go and say, 'you don't want me, i don't want you' and go with the school that did give you the chance you were looking for...

I know many of you are in the same boat, but it would be nice to hear to know that I'm not the only one that is wondering why this process is so screwy....

Members don't see this ad.

davincicode said:
I know I shouldn't be complaining... but I just wanted to see if there are others right now who feel the way I do. So, I'm in Univ of Rochester...and I can't complain.... I did like the school when I visited... but I'm also waiting for Mayo.... And the waiting is just getting to me... I mean, I've put so much effort into Mayo...and this process is just pissing me off. And it also makes me wonder... here is Mayo... my dream school... tho not in the most ideal location, a small class size, yet it is a phenomenal hospital...and then U of R...a good program, but at least for me, nothing that wow-ed me...

And so I'm wondering... is it better to fix ur heart on your dream school, and reapply and do whatever is in your power to go there even though they have ranked u as a secondary candidate (ie, waitlist at Mayo)... or do you go to the school that accepted you right from the beginning and trusted in your abilities even though you may not love them as much (U of R)...

It's such a dilemma... do u keep hoping and letting each acceptance on the waitlist get to you, knowing that you are one step closer, yet still overlooked....and you feel like a secondary applicant more and more... Or do you just let it go and say, 'you don't want me, i don't want you' and go with the school that did give you the chance you were looking for...

I know many of you are in the same boat, but it would be nice to hear to know that I'm not the only one that is wondering why this process is so screwy....

sounds like maybe you don't want to wait. I don't give a sh$t if I get accepted off the waitlist at my top choice the day before class or tomorrow, all that matters is I will be going there and that would be a sh$tload better than my expectations at the beginning of this process. Besides, being waitlisted just means that they wanted to make sure you were right student for them. That's what I keep telling myself since I interviewed so early. haha

Davincicode,

Hang in there, the waiting sucks, I know. Everytime my phone rings I get hopeful that it may be my number one choice calling me to offer me a spot, but of course it never is, and as each day passes, I get less hopeful that I'll ever get that call. If I were you, I'd keep pursuing Mayo, but if it doesn't work out, I wouldn't reapply next year. Rochester is a great school, and although it may not be your number one choice, I'm sure you'll have a great experience there, and you can always apply to Mayo for your residency. When I was applying to undergraduate schools, I got rejected by everyone except my least favorite . . . the one I applied to last minute as a back up. I ended up, though, having the most amazing four years of my life. I can't imagine myself having been happier anywhere else. So, the morale is that you should keep pursuing Mayo for now, but if it doesn't workout, then maybe you're meant to go to Rochester. Best of luck wherever you go! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Nike said:
Everytime my phone rings I get hopeful that it may be my number one choice calling me to offer me a spot, but of course it never is, and as each day passes, I get less hopeful that I'll ever get that call.

wow, you just described every morning of my life for the past two weeks...

davincicode said:

it's in your signature:
"Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we will find it not." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

wherever you go, your experience will be up to you.

"I'll have a Samuel Jackson"
"Good motherf*cking choice motherf*cker"
one of my favorite skits...
"why do you keep yelling?"
"THAT'S HOW I TALK!!! HAVEN'T YOU SEEN MY MOVIES?!?!?"

camstah said:
wow, you just described every morning of my life for the past two weeks...

Same here. Except more like every minute of my day (including when I am sleeping :sleep: ) and more like for the past four weeks (yeah I was way too optimistic :( )

To the OP, I totally agree with what Nike said. Just be glad that you are in at a very good school, but don't lose all hope for the waitlist school.