Anyone go to, know people, or been to Howard or Lecom? Heard a few things

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WorriedPreDentStudent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So my school committee asked us to send in a preliminary school list for our applications this summer. I was going through schools and had Howard listed. I'm not an URM, but I know plenty of non-black students there. Lots of asians actually. My stats aren't really the greatest so I was gonna take any shot I could and was going to apply there (plus im local, in the DMV)

However, I've heard quite a few negative things. I met 2 people through mutual friends who are currently attending their right now told me to literally go to any other school I could, even if it was more expensive.

They said that the facilities are awful, and the faculty does not care at all about the students. The administration is also apparently extremely slow at responding to anything.

Also, they said that a majority of people don't graduate in 4 years. He even said most people HOPE to graduate the end of summer of their 4th year, if they're lucky. Apparently this is a result of not enough chairs/lack of facility space and patient flow issues?

I was wondering if its as bad as they're telling me. They're both doing fairly well grade wise, but they said they most likely will not graduate in 4 years either because of the requirements and stuff. 1 dude I met said he actually doesnt understand how they're still even accredited because its that bad.

Has anyone here gone to howard or graduated from there? is it as bad as they say? Will you even be somewhat competent upon graduating?

Really curious about this. I know its a dental school at the end of the day and beggars cant be choosers, but I'd rather not apply there and have to reapply another cycle if its as bad as they say.

As for Lecom, I know someone who goes there right now who says shes doing whatever she can to try and transfer soon. She said from what she's seen, the clinics look dead and it doesn't look like you will even be a competent dentist after 4 years. Also apparently they're really strict and random with their rules?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.