Anyone have experience with Technical Colleges?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mccordt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I know this topic is brought up ad nauseum, but after searching the site quite extensively, I have not found any posts directly relating to a Technical College. I'm beginning my pre-req course and plan to complete them over the next two years.

I'm currently enrolled at Savannah Technical College and am taking a medical terminology course (couldn't get into any science courses this summer). I know that community colleges are generally acceptable for pre med pre reqs, though state university's are preferred. Are technical colleges any different from community colleges in this regard? I am somewhat concerned by their grading scale, which is something I haven't seen in the past: 100-90 is an A, 89-80 is a B, and so on. They do not have anything in between (A-, B-, C-, D-). Has anyone seen this before? Obviously, this makes it easier to get a high GPA, but how will this be looked at by ADCOMs?

Looking towards the fall, I have the option of attending Savannah State University or Armstrong State University. I am working full-time and Savannah Tech seems to offer more night courses. There is also the issue of the price difference.

Any advice moving forward? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I haven't, but two notes based on my experience:
1) the grading scale does not make it easier to get a high GPA imo. No 0.5s (or 0.3?) to boost you if you get that 88%. The aamc grade conversion guide has that system (and many, many more) which you can find with a Google search.
2) I took the added expense of a particular college because I knew I intended to take a few classes there and thought id be better situated to make connections and gently "get my way" (as a continuing Ed student, I had limitations they understood and accommodated via enrollment petitions, etc). If I had more than 3-4 classes I probably would have investigated the cheaper option, but sometimes the expense allows options (and no internal worries of CC acceptancr, etc).