anyone heard from UIC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

teacher2PT

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has heard of acceptance from UIC yet?

Members don't see this ad.

I havent yet.. If you applied for the DEC 1st I heard you hear back by the 15th of Feb and they will email you a letter along with send you one in the mail. Good luck!

There was no interview. I applied Dec 31 and heard back today, Jan 29. If you haven't heard anything, you should probably give them a call for a status update.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Chipmunk I hope that means you got in! I applied Dec. 15 but they were still waiting for a transcript this week from a class I took this Fall (it hadn't gotten sent by my college, but I thought it had). So I'll probably call them this week.

Yup :D. You should definitely call because they didn't have my Fall grades, so I don't think that is necessary.

I'm worried abut USC, being the procrastinator that I am, I just sent in my application. I'm worried the class is already full, and i just wasted an application. I think I remember reading a thread where you said you applied. Have you heard back?

Good for you! Do you live in/near Chicago? I think the issue was that until just a couple weeks ago, my application hadn't gone through to UIC grad admissions....the separate application you make directly to UIC. There was some computer glitch.
Anyway, no I didn't apply to USC. I have a condo here in Chicago so won't be going anywhere til the market improves:mad: I would have loved to go to San Jose to be closer to my family and out west again (and pay practically nothing in tuition), but wouldn't have had all their pre-req's done by fall either.
Keep us posted on what happens and where you decide to go! Are you applying all over the country?

Hey I live in Northern California, so Chicago is a long way for me. I've pretty much applied to California, NY, and Chicago.

I hope the computer glitch in your app gets sorted out! Did you only apply to schools in Chicago?

I'm having the same problem wiht SJSU. But, I applied so late that I was told they probably won't even look at my application anyway, so I guess it won't really matter.

Since you live in Chicago, and I kinda have a unique situation, I sent you a PM with a couple questions about Chicago that I hope you can help answer.

Am happy to report I got my acceptance to UIC....and am now very familiar with the FAFSA! Good luck everyone.

congrats, again!

i have no idea how financial aid works!!!! Is it like this:

1. Submit Fafsa (do I need to know which school I'm going to in order to complete this?)
2. apply to random private scholarships (like the ones UIC provided us)

Is it like that? Or do I need to go to a bank to get a loan?

You definitely want to fill out the fafsa, and as soon as possible. You need to have your tax return filled out beforehand, because they need to know your adjusted gross income. But it's really a pretty simple process. If you go to fafsa.gov (I think) you can get more information. You def want to do federal loans first because the rate is lower than for private loans! If you talk to the college you decide on, they will be able to tell you all the details.......they're usually really good about that because they know most students need aid. It seems confusing, but the financial aid officers at colleges really do know all the ins and outs of financial aid:)

Hi teach and others, congratulations on getting accepted. I was just denied (a little surprised) just found out yesterday. Curious how close I was to getting accepted. Could you post your stats? If not no problem, just eating away at me. I applied to 5 other schools so I should get in somewhere. Thanks again.

Major:
Overall GPA:
Pre-Req GPA:
GRE:

Extra-Curric:

Volunteer:

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews:

Kreezy, I think that with so many applicats at UIC and some other schools, it can simply be a crapshoot and have nothing to do with your stats. People with perfect stats will get rejections and people with less than perfect stats will get acceptances. Its just the nature of the process. I'm sure you will have better luck with other schools! If UIC was your first choice school, it might be worth it to appeal.

Not to go into too much detail into my stats, here is an overall picture. I majored in a life science, my gpa and gre scores are well above the average UIC stats that are posted on their website, I have a lot of varied extracurricular and professional experiences ranging from research to leadership experience, >300 community service hours, as well as >200 hours of diverse OT experiences. I applied to 6 schools, with 3 acceptances, and 3 still under review. Hope that helps!

Last edited:
Kreezy, I think that with so many applicats at UIC and some other schools, it can simply be a crapshoot and have nothing to do with your stats. People with perfect stats will get rejections and people with less than perfect stats will get acceptances. Its just the nature of the process. I'm sure you will have better luck with other schools! If UIC was your first choice school, it might be worth it to appeal.

Not to go into too much detail into my stats, here is an overall picture. I majored in a life science, my gpa and gre scores are well above the average UIC stats that are posted on their website, I have a lot of varied extracurricular and professional experiences ranging from research to leadership experience, >300 community service hours, as well as >200 hours of diverse OT experiences. I applied to 6 schools, with 3 acceptances, and 3 still under review. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the response. UIC was not my first choice, but I just need to get into one so I can stop worrying :). What other schools were you accepted too? Can't remember the specific averages on the UIC website, but here is what I had. 3.28 GPA, 3.85 prereqs, 1190 GRE, 215 hours of volunteer experience in patient hospital setting. Also, experience with total replacement patients. Have other 6 years of leadership/employee development experience in my past career.

Congratulations again on your success with your applications. What school are you going to chose?

Your GPA is below their average (but above the lower range), but I doubt that is the reason why you didn't get an acceptance, since there are so many factors, including a the statement of purpose. A lot of admissions is based on luck. I got accepted also at columbia and san jose state university. I applied to NYU (which I will not attend even if I get accepted), USC, and UW Seattle. USC had a mix up with my transcripts and I had to resend them, so it will be a long while before I hear from them. Bleh. I have no idea where I will go because I have a unique situation and I am waiting on two more schools. The problem is that USC will probably let me know their decision after the deadline I've been given to the schools I've been accepted to.

I would love to go to an Ivy or USC or UIC, but now I'm wondering if the cost is worth it.....I hear that it doesn't matter where you go for OT, but then I'm also open for more unique opportunities and maybe snagging some sort of consulting/corporate job mixed with business and inventions and I believe those types of careers care where you went. But then, I haven't yet heard of anyone doing some interesting consulting work using OT, so I have no idea if these jobs even exist!!!

What about you? Where have you applied to?

Kreezy,
My situation is probably somewhat unique in that I have been teaching in the special needs capacity for over twelve years, have worked in a high school transition pgm for people with dev. disabilities, have a brother with a disability, etc. I think a lot of schools look at your life experiences over other things. My undergrad was long ago (Psychology) and although I had a less than stellar undergrad gpa, I also have two graduate level programs completed (teaching certification and a Master's in special ed), so that my last 60 credits' gpa was up near 3.8. My gre was just about yours--I think it was 1160. I'm sure the fact that I am in my mid 30's and willing to give up a full-time job for a whole career change got the point across that I am dedicated to this and really want to become an OT. I would not beat yourself up over this, because like chipmunk said, there are so many qualified applicants. I wonder if this year there are more than ever because people simply can't find jobs right out of school or have been laid off....but anyway, where else did you apply? I am sure you will get in and I truly wish you the best!

Thanks again Teach and Chip,

I am not beating my self up about it. I feel like my stronger applications were my most recent submissions. Essay got better, more to talk about the total replacement rehab program etc. I was just curious on what it took . Either way, based on what you two have said, they admitted two much deserving candidates.

My other applications were too Colo State (this my #1, in state tuition), USC, NYU, Boston, Tufts, Puget Sound (second choice). If I get another rejection, I am going to toss a late application to Dominican because of its late application due date. Do you two have any other good safety schools with either a later due date, or Spring start?

Chip, looks like you have a heck of a decision on your hands. I have received the same advice, doesn't matter where you go, go to the cheapest one. But based on what you have stated, sounds like you would be a good candidate for an assistanceship. Also, talk to the HR departments where you volunteer. My hospital not only has a volunteer scholarship, the HR department has a tuition assistance program if I commit to working there. Guessing you may have already gotten these tips, but just in case......

k

:D Got into Boston University. Thank you two for the words of encouragement.

My alma mater and the #1 OT school according to US News, as I remember? Good for you!

Congrats Kreezy!! That's a highly ranked OT program! I hope you feel more at ease now.

Will you be attending BU?