Anyone here do his/her Pre Med track at IU bloomington

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheInstitute

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title says it all.

Any tips you would give incoming freshman??

Avoid honors classes or nah?

Members don't see this ad.

I graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience last May and submitted my application for this cycle about a week ago. I have an abundance of general advice, but I'll try to limit this reply to that which I think is the most essential.

1. It's essential that you build a solid foundation for your GPA in your first two years as your classes will only get more difficult. Take the time to plan out a tentative schedule for the first two years, but don't be afraid to deviate from this plan should you have a good reason to do so. I chose my classes keeping the following factors in mind, from most important to least important:

I graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience last May and submitted my application for this cycle about a week ago. I have an abundance of general advice, but I'll try to limit this reply to that which I think is the most essential.

1. It's essential that you build a solid foundation for your GPA in your first two years as your classes will only get more difficult. Take the time to plan out a tentative schedule for the first two years, but don't be afraid to deviate from this plan should you have a good reason to do so. I chose my classes keeping the following factors in mind, from most important to least important:

this is my first sem
C117 Chem
C127 CHem lab
S211 Honors Calc
Psych 101
Soc 101

Second Sem:
212 Calc II
C341 Organic Chem
L113 Bio lab
L112 Bio
random class

Members don't see this ad :)
EDIT: Sorry - I accidentally sent a portion of my reply before it was complete. Here it is in it's entirety.

I graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience last May and submitted my application for this cycle about a week ago. I have an abundance of general advice, but I'll try to limit this reply to that which I think is the most essential to an incoming freshman.

a. Is this class a necessary prerequisite, and if so, in what time frame should it be completed? Many advanced courses require previous coursework to be completed in order to be eligible to attend said advanced course - just keep this in mind as you build your semester by semester plan.
b. The most important factor when considering which class to sign up for, in my opinion, is the grade distribution for that course in the past. IU has a nifty application that will give you the average GPA of students in the class, the average GPA of students in the class with regards to that specific class, and also the faculty member teaching that class (LINK: gradedistribution.registrar.indiana.edu). For example, the average class GPA could be a 3.6 while the average class GPA of students with regards to that specific course could be a 3.3. This suggests that the class is more difficult than other classes these students have taken overall, which is likely to be the case with many pre-medical track prerequisite courses. Ideally, you want to choose a class with a relatively high average GPA (as close to the average class GPA as possible) with regards to that specific course. Remember to reference your particular professor if possible.
c. Your professor. There are several sites you can check on. I always used RateMyProfessor. You're not looking for perfect reviews, just keeping an eye out for horrendous ones. You will want to avoid these professors. But don't get discouraged by one bad review though: some may give less than accurate reviews for less than virtuous reasons.
d. Location. Definitely take this into consideration, but don't put it at the forefront of your list. An extra half mile seems inconvenient, but your GPA is much more important. You'll thank yourself in the long run and potentially ward off those freshman fifteen for a few extra semesters.​

2. It's also vitally important to get involved in extracurricular activities as early as possible. The earlier you're involved, the earlier you can gauge your interests in order to increase your commitment (think leadership positions in the future) or choose to pursue other activities. IU has an insane amount of programs, groups, and clubs to get involved with. You absolutely want to attend the involvement fair that happens sometime in the first couple of months. Get involved in many activities early on and narrow them down to what you decide you're most passionate about. My personal recommendations include: IUDM, Phi Delta Epsilon (premedical fraternity on campus; I was part of the founding class at IU and it has really grown into a wonderful organization), College Mentors for Kids, etc. There are literally more worthy organizations than I have time to write out; follow your interests and develop them into passions.

3. Do not neglect your social life. It's vitally important to relieve stress and develop as an individual. Push yourself outside of your comfort zone and meet as many people as you can, especially in the first few weeks of school (at this point, all freshman are uncomfortable and looking for friends).

4. Keep letters of recommendation in the back of your mind. Don't freak out and stress over these letters every semester, but do keep them in mind. If you find yourself taking a class you find to be very interesting and you're lucky enough to have an approachable, intelligent professor teaching that class - pursue a relationship with that professor. Be attentive and involved in class discussions, attend office hours, and ask that professor about research they're doing outside of class (if it's applicable and you think you may be interested). If you perform well, this could get you a teaching assistant or research assistant position in the future - as well as a letter of recommendation. This is something I struggled with as an undergraduate and ended up regretting. It can seem uncomfortable and unnecessary at times (you might not always need to attend office hours), but do it anyways!

5. In regards to your question about honors classes: my personal opinion is that this is more of a risk than the payoff is worth. There's a decent chance that it could impact your GPA negatively and I feel that the title of General Honors Notation, which requires seven honors classes be completed upon graduation, is a designation that isn't looked upon favorably enough to be worth this potential consequence. That being said, if you feel that you can do well in these courses then you should pursue them. They do offer some advantages: they often consist of smaller class sizes and are usually taught by more established faculty. I ended up taking three honors courses because either worked better with my schedule, were taught by recommended faculty members, or were a means to avoid poorly reviewed faculty members. For example, I took Organic Lab Honors to avoid a notoriously poor professor that was teaching the regular organic lab sections.

6. Way outside of academics, get a head start on looking for a place to live sophomore year. Ideally, you should sign by November. However, you will probably still be in great shape if you sign on a place by January. Don't stress too much - just stay on top of your schoolwork, get and stay involved in a few extracurricular activities that you are GENUINELY interested in (I really can't stress the importance of this enough), push through the tough times, and seriously aim to enjoy these first two years because they are the most manageable and will be an opportunity to make some of the best memories of your life.

I hope this is helpful! PM if you have any specific questions that you think I may be able to help with. Happy to give back a bit after finding so much useful information here on SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
EDIT: Sorry - I accidentally sent a portion of my reply before it was complete. Here it is in it's entirety.

I graduated with a B.S. in Neuroscience last May and submitted my application for this cycle about a week ago. I have an abundance of general advice, but I'll try to limit this reply to that which I think is the most essential to an incoming freshman.

a. Is this class a necessary prerequisite, and if so, in what time frame should it be completed? Many advanced courses require previous coursework to be completed in order to be eligible to attend said advanced course - just keep this in mind as you build your semester by semester plan.
b. The most important factor when considering which class to sign up for, in my opinion, is the grade distribution for that course in the past. IU has a nifty application that will give you the average GPA of students in the class, the average GPA of students in the class with regards to that specific class, and also the faculty member teaching that class (LINK: gradedistribution.registrar.indiana.edu). For example, the average class GPA could be a 3.6 while the average class GPA of students with regards to that specific course could be a 3.3. This suggests that the class is more difficult than other classes these students have taken overall, which is likely to be the case with many pre-medical track prerequisite courses. Ideally, you want to choose a class with a relatively high average GPA (as close to the average class GPA as possible) with regards to that specific course. Remember to reference your particular professor if possible.
c. Your professor. There are several sites you can check on. I always used RateMyProfessor. You're not looking for perfect reviews, just keeping an eye out for horrendous ones. You will want to avoid these professors. But don't get discouraged by one bad review though: some may give less than accurate reviews for less than virtuous reasons.
d. Location. Definitely take this into consideration, but don't put it at the forefront of your list. An extra half mile seems inconvenient, but your GPA is much more important. You'll thank yourself in the long run and potentially ward off those freshman fifteen for a few extra semesters.​

2. It's also vitally important to get involved in extracurricular activities as early as possible. The earlier you're involved, the earlier you can gauge your interests in order to increase your commitment (think leadership positions in the future) or choose to pursue other activities. IU has an insane amount of programs, groups, and clubs to get involved with. You absolutely want to attend the involvement fair that happens sometime in the first couple of months. Get involved in many activities early on and narrow them down to what you decide you're most passionate about. My personal recommendations include: IUDM, Phi Delta Epsilon (premedical fraternity on campus; I was part of the founding class at IU and it has really grown into a wonderful organization), College Mentors for Kids, etc. There are literally more worthy organizations than I have time to write out; follow your interests and develop them into passions.

3. Do not neglect your social life. It's vitally important to relieve stress and develop as an individual. Push yourself outside of your comfort zone and meet as many people as you can, especially in the first few weeks of school (at this point, all freshman are uncomfortable and looking for friends).

4. Keep letters of recommendation in the back of your mind. Don't freak out and stress over these letters every semester, but do keep them in mind. If you find yourself taking a class you find to be very interesting and you're lucky enough to have an approachable, intelligent professor teaching that class - pursue a relationship with that professor. Be attentive and involved in class discussions, attend office hours, and ask that professor about research they're doing outside of class (if it's applicable and you think you may be interested). If you perform well, this could get you a teaching assistant or research assistant position in the future - as well as a letter of recommendation. This is something I struggled with as an undergraduate and ended up regretting. It can seem uncomfortable and unnecessary at times (you might not always need to attend office hours), but do it anyways!

5. In regards to your question about honors classes: my personal opinion is that this is more of a risk than the payoff is worth. There's a decent chance that it could impact your GPA negatively and I feel that the title of General Honors Notation, which requires seven honors classes be completed upon graduation, is a designation that isn't looked upon favorably enough to be worth this potential consequence. That being said, if you feel that you can do well in these courses then you should pursue them. They do offer some advantages: they often consist of smaller class sizes and are usually taught by more established faculty. I ended up taking three honors courses because either worked better with my schedule, were taught by recommended faculty members, or were a means to avoid poorly reviewed faculty members. For example, I took Organic Lab Honors to avoid a notoriously poor professor that was teaching the regular organic lab sections.

6. Way outside of academics, get a head start on looking for a place to live sophomore year. Ideally, you should sign by November. However, you will probably still be in great shape if you sign on a place by January. Don't stress too much - just stay on top of your schoolwork, get and stay involved in a few extracurricular activities that you are GENUINELY interested in (I really can't stress the importance of this enough), push through the tough times, and seriously aim to enjoy these first two years because they are the most manageable and will be an opportunity to make some of the best memories of your life.

I hope this is helpful! PM if you have any specific questions that you think I may be able to help with. Happy to give back a bit after finding so much useful information here on SDN.
thanks bro. i got invited to take he honors chem course S117 because of my scores but i elected not to take it bc i don;t have ap chem background. I am taking honors calc, because I like math and I also heard M211 is curved badly. Moreover, I will be taking calc 2 next semester, so having more work to do in calc I will pay off immensely in calc 2. what are your thoughts

I think that sounds like a good plan as long as you feel you will perform well in calculus. Regarding inorganic chemistry, I would probably make the same decision. I think it's better to develop a solid foundation considering you haven't had a background in AP Chem; the honors course might be a bit overwhelming, or at the least, cost you more time than it's worth. Keep in mind, however, that this advice is coming from someone who doesn't take much stock in the advantages of honors courses. I think they're only really beneficial in the scenarios I laid out previously or if you think you have a solid grasp on the material (a history of 4.0 GPAs in that subject with ease) and feel you need more of a challenge.

I think that sounds like a good plan as long as you feel you will perform well in calculus. Regarding inorganic chemistry, I would probably make the same decision. I think it's better to develop a solid foundation considering you haven't had a background in AP Chem; the honors course might be a bit overwhelming, or at the least, cost you more time than it's worth. Keep in mind, however, that this advice is coming from someone who doesn't take much stock in the advantages of honors courses. I think they're only really beneficial in the scenarios I laid out previously or if you think you have a solid grasp on the material (a history of 4.0 GPAs in that subject with ease) and feel you need more of a challenge.
thanks also are psy 101 and sociology 101 really easy

Here is a real piece of life advice kiddo: Eat at Bubs. Best damn burger ever.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, imo. Your schedules look manageable to me, especially first semester. Second might be quite busy if you have any trouble with organic. L112 and L113 were very easy for me, but do require you take some time to study. I would recommend you take a relatively lax elective during your second semester.
Again, this is all subjective. It's impossible for me to gauge your level of intelligence/the hours of studying you're willing to put in - I can only give you advice based on my experiences with these courses. To give some context, I scored a 31 on the ACT and my undergrad stats were 3.71 sGPA, 3.80 cGPA, and a 514 MCAT. I had an easy time with all of the classes you're taking except for calculus (I took the accelerated M213 course that combined Calculus I and II in a single semester - it was a bit of a nightmare with little prior exposure, but I ended up getting a great letter of recommendation out of it because I worked my tail off) and organic chemistry, which I despise.

Yes, imo. Your schedules look manageable to me, especially first semester. Second might be quite busy if you have any trouble with organic. L112 and L113 were very easy for me, but do require you take some time to study. I would recommend you take a relatively lax elective during your second semester.
Again, this is all subjective. It's impossible for me to gauge your level of intelligence/the hours of studying you're willing to put in - I can only give you advice based on my experiences with these courses. To give some context, I scored a 31 on the ACT and my undergrad stats were 3.71 sGPA, 3.80 cGPA, and a 514 MCAT. I had an easy time with all of the classes you're taking except for calculus (I took the accelerated M213 course that combined Calculus I and II in a single semester - it was a bit of a nightmare with little prior exposure, but I ended up getting a great letter of recommendation out of it because I worked my tail off) and organic chemistry, which I despise.
ok i had a 33 ACT, with a 770 on SAT MATH level 2 with some prior exposure to calc, but no calc AB. Should I be fine with honors calc I?

I think so. Looking back, that's what I feel would've been best for me. 770 is superb btw, congrats.

I think so. Looking back, that's what I feel would've been best for me. 770 is superb btw, congrats.
alright thanks man. i couldve got 800 and i actually might retake because MIT is my dream school and that is the one of five places im submitting a transfer app to. Do u know anything about jill robinson? i think she teaches c117

Got a BA in Philosophy from IUB and got accepted to med school on first cycle. I don't have much great advice but focus on doing well in whatever you take while enjoying everything else IU has to offer. Absolutely recommend taking some of the 1 credit SPH classes like martial arts, tennis, sailing, etc. With the 12-18 hr rate you get to do cool stuff for free.

Reactions: 1 user
alright thanks man. i couldve got 800 and i actually might retake because MIT is my dream school and that is the one of five places im submitting a transfer app to. Do u know anything about jill robinson? i think she teaches c117

She taught half of my Inorganic Chemistry II class. Don't know her personally, but she was a fantastic professor. Very knowledgeable and approachable.

She taught half of my Inorganic Chemistry II class. Don't know her personally, but she was a fantastic professor. Very knowledgeable and approachable.
For M213, did you have formal calculus background when you took it?