Anyone here of Arabian or Persian descent?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UOP123321

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you put on your application under ethnicity? Is it under other then list accordingly? I am confused :confused:
Do we still consider URM?
What if I put other in the ethnicity

Members don't see this ad.

No, you are not URM. You would classify yourself as White.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 users
I'm Moroccan, which is on the African continent and I found out that's still considered white/Caucasian. I think its dumb that you have to be from a certain part of Africa to be considered "African-American".

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Moroccan, which is on the African continent and I found out that's still considered white/Caucasian. I think its dumb that you have to be from a certain part of Africa to be considered "African-American".

I understand where you're coming from but the rest of the Middle East is also in Asia and we are not considered "Asian"

However, it would be nice if "middle eastern" had its own category. Since we are not considered white anywhere in this world until we apply for something and then we are "technically" Caucasian.

You can identify as whatever you want. But then it would look like you are trying to score points when you show up to an interview.

You can identify as whatever you want. But then it would look like you are trying to score points when you show up to an interview.
I disagree. If I was Middle Eastern or Arab I would most certainly mark other. Even more so if I was from the Middle East. Jumping through all these hoops just to be accepted is strenuous enough. If I thought I could get an advantage, even in the slightest, by marking "Other" I definitely would.

It kind of reminds me of that "Should I take an acceptance to NYU" thread where the applicant was a URM. He was obviously not qualified at all and others who were far more qualified got passed over just in favor of a URM. That spoke volumes to me.

Last edited:
I am half Palestinian and I put down white. If you really want dental schools to know about your background just include that you speak Arabic (assuming you do).

Unpopular opinion here (because majority of people on SDN really are so delusional and it drives me crazy)

Anyone who assumes a URM is accepted over a "more qualified" non-minority applicant are perpetuating a dangerous stereotype. SDN might make dental schools all about the "right numbers" and that's all you need, but it's not. Otherwise we might as well send in our GPA and DAT scores and forget about the rest of the application. What one school values and emphasizes on one's app can be very different from the next school.

The gentleman who was accepted to NYU with lower stats could have had an incredible story. Enough that a dental school might have said "let's give this guy a chance because I think he could be a great dentist". Of the THOUSANDS of people that apply to NYU, they went out of their way to accept someone not as deserving? Give me a break.

Reactions: 2 users
I've asked a dental school adcom this question for friends.

The answer is "White" (which is also the government-prescribed descriptor for Middle Eastern descent).

I disagree. If I was Middle Eastern or Arab I would most certainly mark other. Even more so if I was from the Middle East. Jumping through all these hoops just to be accepted is strenuous enough. If I thought I could get an advantage, even in the slightest, by marking "Other" I definitely would.

It kind of reminds me of that "Should I take an acceptance to NYU" thread where the applicant was a URM. He was obviously not qualified at all and others who were far more qualified got passed over just in favor of a URM. That spoke volumes to me.
The business side of dentistry is very strenuous and challenging, so would you become the type of dentist with "aggressive" treatment plans?

Well, I don't feel I fit in the white category. I prefer to apply as other. I feel nowadays being part of the white category, makes the society see you as a privilege and had everything you need. And only being part of the URM will granted you an interview or in some cases acceptances, even if the URM applicant had everything he needs, he will still consider URM and not represented and disadvantage, but applying as white will give the impression of being a privilege person

The business side of dentistry is very strenuous and challenging, so would you become the type of dentist with "aggressive" treatment plans?

Personally I don't think the two are very comparable. For me at least, they are two completely different situations.

Arabs are not white. White/caucasian is not a color, rather it is a category of anglo-saxon people or european descent. If arabs are white, than asians are yellow, and indians are brown. Their is such a huge contradiction in this that it doesn't make any sense. I would put other to rebel against this idiotic system. Not trying to sound racist but I am pointing out how racist their system is and how flawed it is. I'm from Asia but I'm not "asian" so you can bet your ass I'm putting other.

There is no "other". You have to identify as something. Unless it's for a secondary, sometimes they provide that "other" option.

And white refers to cacaussian which originates from the Caucasus mountains. So we are getting very very technical when we refer to Arabs as white (which, like I said...people never do until you apply for schools)

And yes, it is listed as WHITE not Caucasian.

Last edited:
I'd post the screenshot of the race/ethnicity options but I don't know if I'm allowed?

Arabs are not white. White/caucasian is not a color, rather it is a category of anglo-saxon people or european descent. If arabs are white, than asians are yellow, and indians are brown. Their is such a huge contradiction in this that it doesn't make any sense. I would put other to rebel against this idiotic system. Not trying to sound racist but I am pointing out how racist their system is and how flawed it is. I'm from Asia but I'm not "asian" so you can bet your ass I'm putting other.
On the app Asian has subcategories. If you choose "other Asian" there is a field to enter what kind of Asian you are specifically.

Asian Indian
Cambodian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Malaysian
Pakistani
Vietnamese
Other Asian

Oddly enough the only ethnicity/races with sub categories are hispanic/latino, asian, and hawaiian/pacific islander.
Black/african-american doesn't have any subcategories. It wouldn't be accurate at all for @Bear_Down to be listed as white.
This system is so strange.

Screen shot from my application. Those are the options.

Whatever you pick as your ethnicity and race, just know you won't get anywhere with subpar stats/ECs/letters.

Well, I don't feel I fit in the white category. I prefer to apply as other. I feel nowadays being part of the white category, makes the society see you as a privilege and had everything you need. And only being part of the URM will granted you an interview or in some cases acceptances, even if the URM applicant had everything he needs, he will still consider URM and not represented and disadvantage, but applying as white will give the impression of being a privilege person
12437216.jpg

On the app Asian has subcategories. If you choose "other Asian" there is a field to enter what kind of Asian you are specifically.

Asian Indian
Cambodian
Chinese
Filipino
Japanese
Korean
Malaysian
Pakistani
Vietnamese
Other Asian

Oddly enough the only ethnicity/races with sub categories are hispanic/latino, asian, and hawaiian/pacific islander.
Black/african-american doesn't have any subcategories. It wouldn't be accurate at all for @Bear_Down to be listed as white.
This system is so strange.
I see, from my experience of filling out applications I never saw this as a category. I guess I'll see it when I apply for the first time.