Anyone here transfer in undergrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Even if you do get asked, a brief summation of those family reasons should assuage any concerns. In short, if you've got a solid reason that doesn't include "the first school was too hard so I went the easier route", I doubt anyone is going to care. It's not like it's unheard of to change schools due to a multitude of reasons.

I transferred from one 4 year college to another for family reasons and I was wondering if anyone here went through the application process already with the same experience.

How was this brought up in interviews and did you think it negatively impacted your chances?

Hey man, I was wondering if you can talk a little bit more about your experience. Did all of your credits transfer? Did your gpa go up? Did you transfer into a more/lesser prestigious school? Did you keep the major? Did you have to stay for an extra semester or two? Did you transfer into your sophomore or your junior year?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I transferred, and also for family reasons (however, I did need to transfer to a "lesser" school in order to be closer to home). Haven't had med interviews but for all of my research/medical job interviews thus far, I just said for family reasons, and it wasn't an issue after that. Transferring is more common than you'd expect, and people transfer even if they don't "like" the school. It's not a big deal, and certainly not something I'd panic about.

I attended a few undergrad schools over the years. It wasn't brought up by most schools, but a few were confused with the transfers. I just explained the circumstances (very young college student who lived at home with a family who moved around a lot), and this seemed to suffice for the interviewers who asked.

I transferred from a 4yr school to another too, and it was only brought up in one interview. I was asked how to respond if an adcom member felt that it was a sign that I might not be committed to their school, which I thought was kind of a stretch, given how many students transfer schools these days. Anyway, I just said that I left a school I loved for one that I felt gave me better opportunities academically, and that it should be seen as an asset: the ability to make decisions without letting my emotions get in the way. Although the second university was not any more prestigious, the dept. i majored in was far better than anything offered at my first school. It's all about how you can spin the conversation to your advantage.