Anyone taken classes @ SFSU (San Francisco State)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

esperi

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDNers!

I am thinking of taking a course at SF State this spring (and possibly summer) to boost my GPA (informal post-bac, if you will). Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit hard for me to squeeze in the courses that I really want into my schedule since I work full-time. I have browsed through the SFSU online class schedule and checked off a list of courses that fit my schedule (before 9-ish or after 5pm). I would appreciate any one who has taken courses at SFSU to comment on the following courses (i.e. Work load, exam difficulty, instructor, worthwhile?, recommended?, etc.)

1.Bio 100: Human Biology Instructor: Light or Ingmire (who do you recommend?)
2.Bio 210: General Micro + Pub Health Instructor: Govindan
3.Bio 330: Human Sexuality Instructor: Auleb
4.Bio 453: General Parasitology Instructor: Sullivan
5.Bio 612: Human Physiology Instructor: Breckler
6.Chem 101: Survey of Chemistry Instructor: Kaur or Tse (who do you recommend?)
7.Chem 130: General Organic Chemistry Instructor: Isaac

Are there any courses that you recommend I take that isn't too hard (keep in mind I'm working full-time at a research lab so I don't have the luxury of time as I would like). Any instructors and/or courses that I should steer clear away from? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Did you already complete your pre-reqs for med school? From the courses you listed, I think physiology would probably be the most helpful. I hear Breckler is a great teacher. As for Bio 100, Ingmire is a really nice guy. For Chem 100, Tse is older and difficult to understand, but easy (I don't know about Kaur). Chem 130 (General O. Chem) would probably not work for most med schools, so approach that with caution.

Overall, I think physiology is your best bet. Good luck.

Have you been to ratemyprofessors.com? Maybe you can get some more feedback on those professors there. It is a nice resource to have.

esperi said:
Hi SDNers!

I am thinking of taking a course at SF State this spring (and possibly summer) to boost my GPA (informal post-bac, if you will). Unfortunately, it's going to be a bit hard for me to squeeze in the courses that I really want into my schedule since I work full-time. I have browsed through the SFSU online class schedule and checked off a list of courses that fit my schedule (before 9-ish or after 5pm). I would appreciate any one who has taken courses at SFSU to comment on the following courses (i.e. Work load, exam difficulty, instructor, worthwhile?, recommended?, etc.)

1.Bio 100: Human Biology Instructor: Light or Ingmire (who do you recommend?)
2.Bio 210: General Micro + Pub Health Instructor: Govindan
3.Bio 330: Human Sexuality Instructor: Auleb
4.Bio 453: General Parasitology Instructor: Sullivan
5.Bio 612: Human Physiology Instructor: Breckler
6.Chem 101: Survey of Chemistry Instructor: Kaur or Tse (who do you recommend?)
7.Chem 130: General Organic Chemistry Instructor: Isaac

Are there any courses that you recommend I take that isn't too hard (keep in mind I'm working full-time at a research lab so I don't have the luxury of time as I would like). Any instructors and/or courses that I should steer clear away from? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad :)
day_tripper said:
Have you been to ratemyprofessors.com? Maybe you can get some more feedback on those professors there. It is a nice resource to have.

I am taking breckler this spring for phys. Let me know if you want to hook up and study for this class together. See ya! I would take bio230 over bio100 though.

Davejj40 said:
I am taking breckler this spring for phys. Let me know if you want to hook up and study for this class together. See ya! I would take bio230 over bio100 though.

Dave you know you aint takin' physiology wassup with you....go back to sleep.--Ben

I was using his screen name, lol. hey ben!!! It otally forgot that I registered for this site before.

wassup mike!

To the op. Pm me if you have questions regarding specific classes. In general I think SFSU is a bargain for the instruction you get.--Ben

Hi,
I'm in the SF state informal postbac program as well and was wondering if anyone know how good is the program, as in how effective it is to do this program and get into med school? Thanks

esca007 said:
Hi,
I'm in the SF state informal postbac program as well and was wondering if anyone know how good is the program, as in how effective it is to do this program and get into med school? Thanks

I will be attending in Fall 05 and have heard many, many good things. Check out the Post-Ba "club" they have http://userwww.sfsu.edu/~postbac/ If you look under events there is a list of people who were part of the club and it shows where they were accepted. The list seems reassuring, not to mention all the people on the forum who have had good experiences at SFSU.