Anyone travelling to NYU from Sayreville, NJ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrOptimist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone travelling to NYUCD from Sayreville (Parlin), NJ? Please let me know. We are thinking of moving there soon and my wife is joining NYUCD class of 2008.

Any help is greatly appreciated. This is kind of urgent for us.

Best Regards

Members don't see this ad.

You might have better luck asking in the Predent NYU Threads

Two things WILL happen: 1) You will move closer to NYU after 1 month; 2.) You will get a divorce after 6 months if she keeps commuting from there

My brother goes to NYU and lived for a year in Fairfield, NJ with TONS of commutting options to NYC. It took him 1 hour 30 min non-rush hour to get to school and during rush hour over 2 hours. He spent 4 hours a day getting to school and back. He almost went crazy!!!

Now he lives in Hoboken NJ and he is in school within 25 min.

Now you live even further away with less options to commute into the city. Your wife will hate evey minute of her life and it will hurt your relationship big time.

Do yourself a favor and move closer!!! It will not be an easy 4 years from there!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh yeah remember this, from NJ to NYC is a big commutte and don't forget once you get into NYC you have to commutte even more! For instance, if she gets dropped off at the port authority bus terminal, thats 30 min away from campus; Penn station 25 min away; grand central 25 min away

If you want cheaper living, look into Jersey city, West New York (in NJ), Nutley, Seacucus, Weehawken...just look at yahoo maps at what is right across from NYC.

I'm warning you, 1st year dental school and the commutte you guys are planning is a very very hard combo to deal with.

dental2008,

Thanks for sharing your honest opinions. Yes I am aware that commute to NY especially from NJ (except close places like Hoboken, Jersey City) is very bad.

The only reason I asked was because we are planning to buy a house in NJ (doesn't make sense to rent with me working during her study). We have found two options - small house (2 bed) in Jersey City and big house (3 bed with basement/den) in Sayreville, NJ for the same price.

And we being out of state (currently in Virginia), not sure about the options.

PLEASE look very carefully at where you buy in Jersey City. 90% of the city is full of crime. About the only places that are safe are Droyers Point, Society Hill, Paulis Hook, and Newport.

Other than those locations in Jersey City, you better watch your back when walking at night or even in the day.

You might be better off renting for a year and get a feel for the location and then buy. I have a feeling you will regret big time buying far away or in Jersey city.

If you are spending less than $330,000 for a 2 bed in Jersey city, you are most likely in the ghetto.

here are two places my bro is looking to buy close to school

http://newjersey.foxtons.com/search...rch_type=SS&inst_ref=42512&submit_type=search

http://newjersey.foxtons.com/search...rch_type=SS&inst_ref=62131&submit_type=search