Anyone want a reapplication "buddy"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mrsmac

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Haven't written in awhile. I've been on vacation. Anyway, reapplication time is already here. Does anyone want a buddy to go with them through this dreaded process again? I'm reapplying and taking the MCAT in August. From the other threads, there are quite a few of us doing that. But if anyone is in my particular situation of being a non-traditional appicant and wants another hand to hold, :laugh: drop me a line.

My stats:

29 years old
married
2kids
B.S. biology
M.S. environmental science
MCAT: hopefully better than last time :D

If no one replies that okay, I know everyone is busy, my feelings won't be hurt, and I'll still hang around here until this whole ordeal is over.

Peace,
mrsmac

Members don't see this ad.

Who would you consider non-traditional? I am reapplying this summer too but I am still not sure about taking the MCATs again. Anyhow it'd be great to have a buddy to go through this ordeal with.
Stats:
Degree: B.S biology (physiology and neuroscience)
GPA 3.5
MCAT 29
Volunteer and Lab experience.

Hi,
I am really interested in a buddy. I am also a reapplicant and am going to take my MCAT in August. My stats are, GPA: 3.71 and low MCAT scores. I have not started studying for my MCAT yet and I hope a buddy is going to help me. I am a female, 23 years old. You can give me your IM so this way it is easier. Ok, good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all. I'm a reapp too! Applied 2003 with no luck. It was the low GPA that killed me. Went to grad school, got an MPH with great grades, and now I am reapplying 2005. I plan on applying to schools mostly in the midwest, and I really hope I get into Iowa. We should all keep this thread going throughout the app process to offer updates, encouragement, advice, and congrats. Best of luck to everyone. I am just waiting for AMCAS to accept applications! Cheers.

The application is such a horrid process it's nice to know there are people out going through the same thing.

As I get my AMCAS together for the second time, I can't shake the small voice of doubt in the back of my mind...am I just wasting my time? Did I improve enough? Should I just quit and get my MRS degree and start having babies??? :confused:

Times like this I wouldn't mind having a re-applicant buddy to help keep my spirits up.

Here's my stats: 26 yrs old, ugpa 3.2 (2.9 BCMP), grad GPA 3.7, and praise the Lord...a 30 MCAT :D

This will be the year...right?
-Nina

nina512 said:
The application is such a horrid process it's nice to know there are people out going through the same thing.

As I get my AMCAS together for the second time, I can't shake the small voice of doubt in the back of my mind...am I just wasting my time? Did I improve enough? Should I just quit and get my MRS degree and start having babies??? :confused:

Times like this I wouldn't mind having a re-applicant buddy to help keep my spirits up.

Here's my stats: 26 yrs old, ugpa 3.2 (2.9 BCMP), grad GPA 3.7, and praise the Lord...a 30 MCAT :D

This will be the year...right?
-Nina

can totally relate. except for the have babies part.

I definitely wouldn't mind a reapp buddy. After last year, my confidence was almost completely hijacked:

Stats:
degree: bachelor's of science in nursing
gpa: 3.68
mcat: improved if there's a god

Nice to see everyone banding together as we head back to the battlefield.

My bio:
Degree: B.S in Biology
GPA: 3.65 (3.45 BCMP)
MCAT: 33R
Some volunteer experience (will be about 6 months by interviews) and 2 years of evolutionary biology lab experience. Will probably have about 20 hours of shadowing under my belt by the time secondaries roll around.

I'll drink a forty for all my newfound homies tomorrow night when I submit my AMCAS! ;)

Hey guys,

Nice to see that I'm not alone. I've added everyone to my buddy list so I can keep track of you guys. Anyway, I figured that I could post once a month and we could keep track of our progress that way. (i.e. Reapplication buddies for June). Of course you can post questions,or "pm" anyone anytime you want.

Also, who is game for a name for us? That would make us stand out in this forum. I like "MD2B". Of course, if that's ridiculus, :D I'm open for suggestions. We'll use the new name in July and keep this thread for June.

With that said, here is my application status:

I am registering for the MCAT and submitting my application tomorrow! I sent off my requests for transcripts in the middle of May, so hopefully they will be arriving at AMCAS soon. Last year my graduate school sent my transcripts to the wrong address-twice!! I am going to start studying for the MCAT on Monday and push hard for the next 10 weeks. Good luck to everyone and stay positive. I look forward to going through this again -with you guys.

mrsmac

i'd like to join the club. Applied for 2003 to 20 schools, one interview and a quick rejection.

I'm studying for the august mcat and working on my personal statement, which is giving me A LOT of trouble. If any of you can help...i'd greatly appreciate it.

anyways...i'm planning to go all out this cycle...planning to apply to 30+ schools. Here's my stats:

Degree: BA in Biochemistry, BA in Economics
GPA: 3.83
MCAT: taking it for the fourth time this august!!!
lab research, volunteer, trained emt, trained phlebotomist, publish an abstract

sdnstud said:
I'm studying for the august mcat and working on my personal statement, which is giving me A LOT of trouble. If any of you can help...i'd greatly appreciate it.
I just finished writing mine up. Not too bad, even though I consider myself a candidate without a lot of substantial clinical experience to back up my claims. If you PM me your draft I can probably give you some feedback and proofread. I was an English minor btw.

Greetings again. I just realized I should probably say a few more words about myself. I am 22, with a BA in Biology/Molecular Biology. Graduated in 2003. Overall GPA is 3.39, Sci GPA is somewhere around a 3.25. Will finish m MPH (Epi) in August (but due to a University mess-up, can't graduate until December). Grad GPA is currently 3.73. MCAT, which I took in 2002, is 30. I am just hanging out and waiting for feedback on my PS from 2 profs. Once I get that, I can go over things and I plan on submitting late today or tomorrow. It will be so nice to get this done with. I have a research project I am working on, and I am trying to find a job at the same time (my current position ends mid-July). I have the feeling it is going to be a hellish summer.

sdnstud said:
i'd like to join the club. Applied for 2003 to 20 schools, one interview and a quick rejection.

anyways...i'm planning to go all out this cycle...planning to apply to 30+ schools. Here's my stats:

Degree: BA in Biochemistry, BA in Economics
GPA: 3.83
MCAT: taking it for the fourth time this august!!!
lab research, volunteer, trained emt, trained phlebotomist, publish an abstract
i applied to approx. 15 schools last go round, and i got a bunch of secondaries, but not a single interview. sucks to be me.

this year i'm applying to 6 or 7 and that's simply because its so figgin expensive.

Hello everyone,
Its great to know that there other people out there going through the same summer madness....I am currently on the waitlist for two schools (either of which I would be overwhelmingly happy to go to) but am sort of in a weird position in that I need to make a judgement call pretty soon and take the August MCAT (my MCAT scores are keeping me out of school) if school isn't going to work out for this fall. But the MCAT, study preparation, and reapplying to AMCAS is so expensive and annoying, that its not something I want to just do. I wish the schools would just tell me one way or the other so i could just move on...any advice?

Members don't see this ad :)
sherlock33 said:
I wish the schools would just tell me one way or the other so i could just move on...any advice?

This might sound obvious, but have you tried calling them and telling them your situation? If the straight story alone doesn't fly, you could emphasize that you're in dire financial straits, so your having to study and to retake the MCAT could be explained as more of an economic hardship than a mere inconvenience... They might divulge where you are on the waitlist, or at least how likely it might be for you to find yourself near the top by the end of the summer -- that would probably be the best info for you to go on.

You guys all have great stats. Did you all apply before? I don't see a reason why you wouldn't make it in. I had a really low MCAT but still got into med school. I'm still planning on retaking the MCAT too, but I don't know when I'll have time because of work and school. Count me in though.

I want to join too!!

Degrees: BS in biochemisty, BS in psychology
GPA:3.79
MCAT: 34Q; sorry for all of you who have to take it again, I remember how it sucked
clinical psychology research and volunteer experience (ER, phlebotomist at STD clinic, Habitat for Humanity, etc.)

previous mistakes: thinking that being a CA resident will get you into a UC (haha!) and applying way too late

Hi to all of my new buddies!

Has anyone come up with a name for our little club here yet? Also, instead of starting a new thread each month, perhaps we can just keep this one going (bump bumpity bump). I think it will be neat to look back on where we were 2, 3, 6 months ago once we all finally get in! Re-Apps RULE!!! Woohoo! (I am soooo bored....sitting at my lab job....I think we all know how boring a 2 hour incubation can be.....) Peace out all.

Cheers.

For anyone, but especially those interested in neurology, I would definitely recommend Oliver Sacks (such as The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat, Awakenings), and also Great and Desperate Cures by Elliot Valenstein.

Heehee, I had two windows open and posted in the wrong one. Sorry guys.

Where are you guys applying to??? I mean many of you have great stats, and people with lesser stats have been accepted other places. Is it the schools you are applying to or what?

Just curious

I applied in 2003 to...4 schools, but was dumb and didn't realize I didn't have enough psych/soc to meet the reqs at MN. Moreover, I really wanted to go to the University of Iowa, so that is the only secondary that I filled out (of the 3 secondaries I got back - MN, Loyola, UIowa). U Nebraska flat out rejected me. And, I happened to apply really, really, really LATE - I'm talking mere days before the deadline in November. Not the smartest move, especially with my low GPA. So, I did get an interview at Iowa, but got the big, fat NO in March.

On another note, I am really happy to meet others out there who are reapps like me. I was so embarrassed about not getting in, and having to tell people that. I just sat in my dorm room for like a month and a half afterward. Didn't really talk to anyone. It's been really hard for me to talk about the fact that I didn't get in the first time. I felt like a loser, like I would never amount to anything at all. Now I realize that everyone has things in their past that they may not be proud of. It's not where you start, it's where you end up that matters the most. Again, it's nice to find others in the same situation. I wish you all nothing but the best.

Cheers.

I think my story is a lot like kmjannie's. I applied for the class of 2007 to four schools- Univ. of MN, Univ of MN-Duluth, Univ. of Wisconsin, and Iowa. I had taken the August MCAT and pretty much submitted everything at the deadlines (I really had no idea what I was doing looking back). I ended up with interviews at U of MN and UMD, and got waitlisted at U of MN. I made it up to #2 on the waitlist (from somewhere around #60) by the time classes started, so I really had no idea whether I would be at the first day of class or not (luckily I live in the Twin Cities and had a job lined up).

After talking to the head of admissions I decided my best bet was to take a year off and get some more lab experience, take a couple grad-level bio classes and do some volunteering and shadowing. Now I've gotten those things taken care of and have fully (I hope) educated myself on the application process, so this time I will have everything in ASAP.

I just submitted my AMCAS and am applying to 9 midwest schools. Let's hope the second time is a charm. :luck:

I sound like everyone else. I sent secondaried to 4 school, but at the deadlines, got one interview and all rejections. I was told by a faculty member at UCI I was sure to get in and didn't even get an interview. So this year, I applied to 21 schools, 8 around my level, 10 below and 3 above. Last year I tried to save money be only applying to a few school and ended up wasting almost $1000, so this year I'm going all out. And this time I'm getting everything turned in early. AMCAS, Done.

jetskigirl said:
I want to join too!!
Degrees: BS in biochemisty, BS in psychology
GPA:3.79
MCAT: 34Q; sorry for all of you who have to take it again, I remember how it sucked
clinical psychology research and volunteer experience (ER, phlebotomist at STD clinic, Habitat for Humanity, etc.)

previous mistakes: thinking that being a CA resident will get you into a UC (haha!) and applying way too late

WORD.
october 28th is not the best day to submit AMCAS... especially being a CA resident

26 yo
BS Engineering Science - mechE
Ugrad GPA = 3.4
grad + post bac GPA = 4.0
MCAT = 36S
2 years cancer/molecular biology lab research (no pubs... hopefully one before interviews)
slim on the volunteer experiences (until recently)

upped the number of schools applied to from 15-->25 as well as submitting the AMCAS on jun 2nd and having the transcripts sent in may...

as a reapplicant, how do they expect you to be able to boost your application when filling out secondaries, taking night school, working FT and even sleeping once in a while?

still waitlisted at UCSD but not too hopeful

the reapplicant motto:
'May this be your last time!'

Oh man...

I have one more week of finals...still revising my PS...haven't sent for transcripts...need to get LORs set up...trying to finish some experiments so I can start writing my Master's thesis which needs to be defended by mid-July... :scared:

I know...it's 1:30 in the morning and I just finished my take-home final. I guess I'm feeling a little overwhelmed. I've worked so hard this year...I just hope I don't mess up by sending my AMCAS in late :(

Just wanted to rant...
Thanks
-Nina

snowhite said:
You guys all have great stats. Did you all apply before? I don't see a reason why you wouldn't make it in. I had a really low MCAT but still got into med school. I'm still planning on retaking the MCAT too, but I don't know when I'll have time because of work and school. Count me in though.

im pretty sure my mcat is keeping me out. i also have one C on my transcript (organic II). would a single C on a transcript keep someone out of med?? geeeez i haven't had a C since grade 3. darn organic. :mad:

im done with my ps, but my whole app is on hold until i get a new address. im moving to another state in a couple of weeks and i still dont have an apartment yet!

this is my second time applying to med school. sometimes i cant help but think why the hell im doing this to myself again.

i have a year's experience in physical rehab, 6 months experience in chemical rehab, and i've done plenty of shadowing. i guess im gonna try to hatch up some more med oriented situations to put myself in for my applications. i applied to u of miss, u of oklahoma, medical college of wisconsin, u of vermont....the list goes on. lots of schools. i've never worked in a lab and that sort of thing, but id think all of the doctors ive worked with over the past couple of years should stand for something! frustrated, i am.

kmjannie said:
On another note, I am really happy to meet others out there who are reapps like me. I was so embarrassed about not getting in, and having to tell people that. I just sat in my dorm room for like a month and a half afterward. Didn't really talk to anyone. It's been really hard for me to talk about the fact that I didn't get in the first time. I felt like a loser, like I would never amount to anything at all. Now I realize that everyone has things in their past that they may not be proud of. It's not where you start, it's where you end up that matters the most. Again, it's nice to find others in the same situation. I wish you all nothing but the best.

Cheers.

This is me. I have two sisters that both got into law school this year. One got a full scholarship. Needless to say, my parents think I'm a loser.

Sorry about the rant...I feel so much better after 10hrs of sleep :)

jdrake82 said:
this is my second time applying to med school. sometimes i cant help but think why the hell im doing this to myself again.

We reapplicants feel this way at one time or another. Just try to remember why you chose medicine in the first place. Do you have a great clinical experience that was significant for you? Were you touched after someone thanked you for your volunteer efforts? That's what I did to get me out of that slump a few days ago...and a nice long nap.

Hopefully we'll all be smiling come fall 2005!

Nina

Hey guys,

Looks like this spot is jumping! Our group is really growing. I was reading through the threads and I could relate to so many of you. I could relate TOTALLY to being ashamed at not getting in. Especially when you are 29, have 2 kids and a good career already. Most people either think I'm crazy or they are excited for me. Trying again is taking a big chunk out of our pocket, but my hubby is dedicated to seeing me succeed. This will probably be my last time applying, so, like many of you, I'm going all out! There are times when I wonder what the hell I'm doing, but I can't get that feeling/passion of being a doctor out of my mind. Many of my college buddies are actually practing medicine now (really hard to swallow). However, many of them are now wanting a spouse/kids. So, we are living vicariously through each other. So, I'm encouraging everyone to "keep a stiff upper lip and handle your business!" Apply early, do what it takes to kick ass on this MCAT and get those secondaries in ASAP. (I'm talking to myself too).

With that said, I'm off to the library to begin studying. I'll check back later to see how everyone is doing.
mrsmac

P.S. Still no name for our group-I may stick with "Reapplication buddies" if there are no suggestions. I still think that starting a new thread once a month will be more efficient. That way we can chart our progress monthly, and it will be easier to search for us. Peace

How can I not join now?

I am in the same boat as most of you... mid range MCATs and mid range GPA (3.4). I applied to 17 schools first time, got 2 interviews, and am still sitting on one wait-list. Which makes this process even more demotivating because if I end up getting off the waitlist in the middle of August then reapplying would have been pointless. I graduated this past May and thought that I would wait a year before I apply again, but then I was accepted to a Masters program at Georgetown, and they suggest that you apply again this year. So here I am. Applying and retaking the freakin' MCATs.

Nonetheless, I have begun studying for MCATs... a BIG ugh. And I really need to work on that AMCAS application - for those of you reapplying did you do a completely new PS? Yeah.... I know, I am starting to get late on this application since we could have turned it in about 5 days ago, but like I said, my motivation to get this process under way is literally the size of a pinhead. I feel like its somewhat humiliating. But ah well. Maybe I should work on that instead of ranting about it.

One more question for reapplicants who applied the last time around (last summer/fall) AND are on waitlists - are you applying to those wait list schools, and if so did you turn your application into them? I feel like it is somewhat of a vote of no confidence - like the school sees your application come in then they check your file to see that you are already on the wait list there... so maybe they drop you further on the waitlist because you are reapplying anyways? I don't know, maybe this is me being paranoid. :p

Thanks for reading :D

I am soo glad that there are other people in similar position! Even though I am pretty new with this board, count me in! Anyway, here is my situation, I am waitlisted in two schools and worried that I am not going to get into either school (both school told me that I am in the middle of the list). If I do end up having to reapply in 2005, I want to finish my application as early as possible (I was late for 2004). However, I am in a bit of dilliemma. I could use all your advice on reapplying...since I recently started thinking about it.
Here is basically my 2004 credential:
GPA: 3.5 (3.6bcmp)
mcat: 29 (8v, 9b, 12p)
Not trad: 4 yr (still working) as sw engineer
BS: comptuter eng. MS: computer sci.
As of now, I am waitlisted at EVMS and MCO

There is a good chance that I am not going to get into either schools. So, I am planning to reapply in 2005. However, I am not sure on how to improve my chances for 2005. Currently, the only thing different from my 2004 appl. would be to apply early, which may be sufficient enough to get me in however, I cant bank on it. Some people suggested retaking the mcats however, I really dont want to put myself through that torture again, unless, that is really the only option left. Some have suggested quiting my job and doing research while applying for 2005. However, I would be taking a pretty decent pay cut in doing so; which would be ok with me as long as I found the right research job. Otherwise, I will be moaning about how much money I could have saved toward a huge potential med. school debt. Any advice? How are some of you planning to improve your chances this time around?

Also, when reapplying...can I use the same essay from the previous application? Or is that not recommended? Do schools compare old files with the new files for reapplicants?

In response to Cavsrule:

I think your numbers look plenty good. The MCAT is just a smidge low, but your GPA and interesting career should more than make up for that, in my opinion. I think that research could potentially help you out, although taking a big pay cut would make me hesitant to suggest that. Have you had any clinical experiences? If not, maybe you could volunteer at a local emergency room, or another area of patient care that interests you. Also, job shadowing a doctor (or several) over the course of the year would probably help you out. These activities would show adcoms that you have explored the field of medicine and have an idea of what the career entails. Also, they can be accomplished during a forty-hour work week. I would bet these experiences would help you as much as research in your second application.

Also, I would go ahead and rewrite the personal statement (maybe keeping aspects you thought worked well), even though it's a chore. You don't want to give the adcoms any reason to think that you haven't been, or aren't willing to, work your rear off to get admitted this year. Best of luck!!!

Hey guys,

It feels good to know I'm not the only one that feels somewhat humiliated, being on one waitlist and applying to medical school again at the same time, but I know we will all get in if we keep trying and improving ourselves! I really need a buddy to stay motivated, so if you want to be my buddy, please PM me! Or IM me at ShuttofyYourTrap! Here are some of my goals, I hope we have some in common:

1. SUBMIT AMCAS and AACOMAS applications by the end of June, not the end of October!

2. Write a kick-ass positive personal statement and stop dwelling on the shortcomings of being a doctor!

3. Study independently for the August MCATs. Must study everyday. Must not fall behind.

4. Find some people who are going to be in the same post-bacc program as me in the fall and build a people-in-the-same-boat base.

5. Make PCOM love me and take me off their waitlist!

6. Go to work and look busy and not to appear like I'm on SDN.

Anyway, if you need to do these things too, it'd be awesome to help each other out. Buddy must have sense of humor, nonsmokers only please (I'm serious!).

Just a word of advice for everyone:
have your letters of rec ready early!!! My applicaton was done in September but because of a late letter of rec, my application was not reviewed until late January. I'm still on hold but I've already started to reapply (I've pretty much lost hope!). Good luck to everyone!!! :luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks guys, for giving me a reason to stop humming "Here I go again on my own." I was beginning to think there was something wrong with me about not being gung-ho this time around. I was so cheery and optimistic the first app cycle (in 2002) - all it got me was a crappy PS score on the Aug MCAT, no interviews, and tons of "um, well" conversations trying to explain it to my fam.

Is it possible to stay optimistic this time? Is it okay to write "I bombed the mcat, applied too late, and now I've learned my lesson" in your personal statement?

nani said:
Is it possible to stay optimistic this time? Is it okay to write "I bombed the mcat, applied too late, and now I've learned my lesson" in your personal statement?

I know all about the ups and downs of an unsuccessful application cycle. All you can do is pick yourself up and remember that there is a light at the end of the tunnel that is worth putting yourself through varying degrees of torture right now. It took me an entire year off without worrying about applications to remember why I wanted to be a doctor (it's funny how during the app cycle interviews and waitlists can beat that desire out of you). Now I've regained that sense of optimism and excitement that I think will help me get in this year...hopefully you can harness some of the same emotions.

Some unsolicited advice--I wouldn't write about turning in your applications late etc., especially during the personal statement. Use that to present a fresh picture of yourself and your desire to be a doctor, not to dwell on past mistakes. Maybe you could work in the fact that you are a reapplicant in some of your secondary application essays, making sure to paint it in a positive light. This might help underline your dedication to the career path and your ability to face challenging situations head-on. Hope that helps a little, and best of luck!!!

Hey everyone!
It's good to have a place where we reapps can support each other through another grueling, hoop-jumping, game called med school app. process! I felt all the humiliation of telling all 20 docs at the clinic where I work that I didn't get in after they had heard me talk about it the ENTIRE YEAR! so I know what you're feeling. But I'm really optimistic and excited for this year. Here are my stats:

Age: 24 (will reach the quarter-century mark on Sunday, mixed emotions on that one)
Third time applying this year (2001, 2003, 2004)
MCAT: 28R (8v, 10p, 10b)
GPA: 3.59, Emory Univ.

I applied to 9 schools last year and 7 were in the top tier cuz I just wanted to go to my state school (Univ. of WA). Unfortunately learned that UW is hard as balls to get into, even in-state). Now applying to 26 schools.
I've been running the clinical lab at a fam. med. clinic the past year, worked in Africa in a hospital as a nurse's assistant 3 months, research at the CDC, Volunteer stuff, shadowing, etc.

I really want all of us to band together to get through this and feel free to ask me any questions (cuz after applying 2 times already I have much experience to share :D ) or if you want me to read your PS, I worked in the writing center in college. Honestly, I wish all of you good luck and hope you get into your first choice school!!!! :luck: :luck:
TD

TravellinDoc said:
I really want all of us to band together to get through this and feel free to ask me any questions (cuz after applying 2 times already I have much experience to share :D ) or if you want me to read your PS, I worked in the writing center in college. Honestly, I wish all of you good luck and hope you get into your first choice school!!!! :luck: :luck:
TD
It's probably silly, but I have the feeling that if our interviewers this year could read our helpful comments and teamwork on this thread, that they would be forced to let us in (in light of our decent stats). Before I came to SDN I was scared that the medical community was going to be little more than competitive pre-meds stepping all over each other to get a leg up. This thread has helped erase that preconception.

DoctorFunk,

Saw your shout-out on the other thread in pre-allo. Where are you applying to? Have you submitted your AMCAS yet? I did last week, its still in the process of verification....how do I know this you ask? Well, checking it 20 times a day does that. Here's my list:

U Chicago (yeah right....)
Case Western (also a "yeah right")
U Iowa (Please God, just let me in)
U Kansas
U Nebraska
Rush
Loyola
R Franklin
St Louis Univ
Creighton
U Wisconsin
Med Coll Wisconsin

Curious to see where the rest of you guys are applying, too. And what is your AMCAS status? Anyone have any secondary prompts from years past so we can get a headstart? Peace out & Cheers.

Hey guys,

Wow! I didn't think I'd get so many responses to just asking for a buddy! I can feel the love :love: As the oldest here (I think) I almost feel like the mommy of the group. :) and I already have two kids. BTW, no one should ever feel ashamed to be a part of this group, and not all premeds are evil!!

I actually have a question for those reapplying again...have any of you head of sending out your letters of recommendation to your schools BEFORE you get your secondary?

One of my former professors said she'd send my letters this summer (but I don't take the MCAT until August). I submitted my application on June 3rd. Will AMCAS forward my application to my schools even if my scores don't show up until October? Will some schools send me a secondary automatically even without the scores? Does any of this make sense??? This craziness is the exact reason I need a buddy!!! :eek: Until next time...

mrsmac

mrsmac,

I would advise against sending out the LORs before the secondary for the following reason. Each school has a different way they want the LORs. I know from experience that U Iowa has your profs fill out this online thing, where they do write a sort of LOR, but grade you on all these other criteria too. It's very specific. And, of course, you can't know what each school wants until they send you their secondary materials. What I am going to do is get my resume, PS, ECs and other such info to my profs that are going to write me letters so they have it in advance. And, the day those secondaries come, I will be going and knocking on their door to ask them for a letter for that school.

This brings up a question....how long do you give profs to write you a letter? I am planning on telling mine that the deadline is 2 weeks after I give them all the info. Too short, too long????

Cheers, all.

kmjannie said:
DoctorFunk,

Saw your shout-out on the other thread in pre-allo. Where are you applying to? Have you submitted your AMCAS yet?
My AMCAS was submitted on (I think) the 3rd and was processed on the 9th, so I would think yours should be finished soon if all your transcripts are in and whatnot. Anywho, here's my list of schools, and I like your idea of adding extra comments, so I'm gonna go ahead and steal that format. :)

University of Minnesota-Twin Cities (waitlisted in '03)
University of Minnesota-Duluth (interviewed in '03, my #1 choice)
University of Wisconsin-Madison (no chance, but I love the area)
Medical College of Wisconsin
Loyola (I'm not really religious, but I like their seemingly holistic approach)
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
Iowa (really like the teaching hospital setup from everything I've read)
University of South Dakota (lived in SD for about 10 years as a kid/teen and still have family there--hoping to work that into a pseudoresidency status)

So that's the big list. I wonder sometimes whether any of the non-MN schools (I'm a resident there) will even bother giving me an interview, but this is probably my last chance to apply and I wanted to go out with no regrets for not giving my all. I'd be interested to hear what everyone else is up to and what schools they are applying to! Maybe we could help people out with secondary prompts like kmjannie mentioned when they start rolling in! :luck:

kmjannie said:
This brings up a question....how long do you give profs to write you a letter? I am planning on telling mine that the deadline is 2 weeks after I give them all the info. Too short, too long????

I think 2 weeks might be too short. I would expect a letter to be completed within 4 weeks, but a nice reminder after two weeks have passed is probably a good idea.

I may be joining this group too! I am waitlisted at 2 schools and had a late interview at another I am still waiting to hear from(should be next week). Here are some stats for me: 34y.o white female with 2 kids ages 12 and 8. B.s Biology in 2004 gpa and mcat could be better but I am trying to avoid retaking any classes or the mcat. I applied to 20 schools and got 19 secondaries last time around so we will see what happens!

I just finished reading earlier posts and I've already corrected tons of my mistakes! Thanks everyone! Hopefully my history will also benefit someone on this thread.

As for me, this is my second application year. I applied last year to 13 schools, got secondaries from all and interviews from none. Grenada is looking pretty good right now. :p

About me:25 yr old
GPA: to embarassing to tell
MCAT: 31S (second try)
Experience: I've been an volunteer EMT since senior year in HS. Spent last summer at Bellevue ER. Great program if anyone is interested in learning more.

My application was seriously delayed last year. I submitted in early September and was not verified until end of Nov/beginning of Dec. My advice is to be very clear on which schools you need transcripts from and which you don't. AMCAS waits about a month after you submit it to tell you that you're missing a transcript.

I do have a question for everyone out there: I'm currently inthe application process for both the Drexel MPH and IMS programs. But my AMCAS is complete. Should I send it in now and have it verified or should I wait until I know if I will be attending Drexel in Sept so I can add it to the application?

I am in the same boat as so many of you and was happy to know that I am not the only person who got rejected. Everyone around me seem to get into med school. I am positive that i got rejected because of super low mcat score and after looking at a lot of ur mcat scores i am assured. I applied to 12 schools and got rejected from all...no interviews at all :(
I just graduated and feel like there is not much diff in my application besides taking the mcat over....I dont know what to do in my year off? ANy suggestions?

GPA: 4.87
MCAT: LOW!!!
BS in Biochemistry
2 yrs. of research in biochem
about 1 year of volunteering at a hospital
Almost no EC!

I haven't turned in my AMCAS yet...done with everything except PS!!! Dreading to do that but have to do it soon. :smuggrin:

Yay, my application has been processed. Submitted June 3, done this morning (June 14). I did have 2 things that AMCAS changed....I checked the pass/fail box on OChem I in the wrong place. I think you may have to check the box on both places that retakes appear. And I forgot to check the pass/fail box on an internship course. So, it took about 11 days for mine to be completed.

Cheers.

PS - My fiancee and I got a kitten this past Friday! So adorable. We named her Faith. :D :D :D

Hey all,

Does it tell us on the welcome screen when transmission to each school occurs? Do we get an email as well? Just wondering...

Cheers.

Oh, is it too late for my to join too!

I am applying for the second time. I'm 29. I just got back from my honeymoon and didn't want to think about re-applying until after I got back. I couldn't sleep last night.

A little about me.

I went to UC Berkeley, and due to family illness was very distracted and ended up with a 2.8 gpa 2.6 science, in Nutrition.

I returned to NY, got into a Master's program in Nutrition (3.8), and became a registered dietitian. I have been working as a Nutritionist for 4 years in several underserved neighborhoods in this city.

Realized after a year I was hitting a wall in my profession, decided to pursue medicine. Went to a city college to take physics, and met my husband there.

Took the MCAT, scored a 36R, and felt really good about my chances, maybe overconfident, as I only applied to schools in the NY, Philadelphia area. Anyway I got waitlisted at Einstein and Upstate, subsequently rejected at Einstein, and not holding my breath for Upstate.

Feeling kind of crappy. Thinking about taking some classes to show improvement, but I am going to reapply again this year.

Please add me to the buddy list. I would like to keep in touch with you all, as I don't know any real life pre-meds and it gets kinda lonely.

ma-bas said:
I am applying for the second time. I'm 29. I just got back from my honeymoon and didn't want to think about re-applying until after I got back.
Welcome to the club! I just wanted to comment on something I've noticed in reading through the bios in this thread...it seems that a fair number of us are engaged/married. I will be asking my girlfriend to marry me this weekend (still trying to come up with the perfect way to ask, of course ;) ) and think that my year off after my first application has turned out to be a blessing in disguise. It has really given me a chance to reevaluate my life and reset my priorities, which prior to my rejection could never have included a marriage.

Anyways, I just wanted to make that offtopic observation, and was wondering if any of the other reapplicants felt the same way. Seems like maybe in the long run we have a leg up on life over those accepted straight out of college.