Anyone with experience retaking "expired" prerequisites at a community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galaxyx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I know...another community college thread...
But, I just found out that my "state" school requires prereqs within 5 years, and will accept community college credit for this, but will other more rigorous schools look down on someone who had a degree related to physics then took basic physics at a community college level later?

I'm more worried about schools that don't have a recency requirement looking at the community college physics and thinking "WTF? are they trying to GPA boost?" My ugrad gpa is a 3.7, so not necessarily in need of a boost.

I'm currently taking some Chem and Bio at a University, but the cost is killing me.

I was really thinking I could skip all the schools with 5 year requirements, but I don't think I can skip this one...

The other issue is that upping my recency means that I could apply to another school that I have connections at, but this particular school lists community college as "not recommended", but I would assume that's because they can be less rigorous, but I've already proven my ability to handle the rigorous courses.

*Edit: Along the same lines, would it look bad to take algebra based physics instead of calculus based physics?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Talk to them, sometimes they'll waive the requirement if you take some UL science courses within a certain time limit of matriculation. My state school basically told me that's how they work...

I talked to them today, and the problem is physics. There are no upper division physics courses that I haven't taken, so I was told to just take a "review course". I know what I have to do for the "state" (not actually in my state) school, I'm just concerned about how this might look to other schools. I'm probably just worrying to much, but the need to now take two additional classes is messing up my planned school/work/finances plan. I

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to them today, and the problem is physics. There are no upper division physics courses that I haven't taken, so I was told to just take a "review course". I know what I have to do for the "state" (not actually in my state) school, I'm just concerned about how this might look to other schools. I'm probably just worrying to much, but the need to now take two additional classes is messing up my planned school/work/finances plan. I

Ask them if you can meet the requirement as a pass/no pass student so it doesn't look like gpa boosting. Also ask if you could do it as an audit student.

Sent from my SCH-R910 using Tapatalk

I don't think it would be a problem with other schools at all!

I was in a similar situation two years ago and I don't think cc credits hurt me. I retook a lot of basic classes at cc (things like English and Calculus) while taking more advanced stuff (Genetics, Biochem) at a four-year.