AOA public awareness campaign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Explain? How did AOA threaten you?
He isn't the only one. A few other DO residents who went under ACGME training also mentioned of such emails/letters. That is one pathetic strategy of trying to keep shrewd DOs in the hurdle with other mindless DOs who SurgeDO mentioned of.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Could you point out which ad asserts that DOs are "better" (your word) than MDs?

http://www.osteopathic.org/inside-aoa/about/Documents/chandler-ad-web.pdf

Advertising to the general population is the reason for the campaign, but they are segregating themselves from other health professionals in the process.

As quoted from one of the ads: "Before talking to a doctor, choose one trained to listen. Doctors in Osteopathic Medicine practice their distinct philosophy in every medical specialty. A DO is trained to consider the person within the patient."

The first sentence makes it seem like only DO docs listen and other types of doctors don't (of course referring to MDs). The average person may not pick it up this subtle inference. However, when an MD sees this advertisement, he or she can infer it is putting down MDs. It is not just the general population that gets influenced by it, but the MDs and other health professionals as well. The AOA are not going about these ads in the right way and could do just as good of a job advertising themselves without using such phrasing.

It doesn't point it out, but infers it. Who else are they referring to when they say "choose one trained to listen?" Put it this way, it is another way of saying choose a DO doctor or choose a doctor who doesn't listen, by default that is an MD doctor.

Reactions: 2 users
Dude haven't started school yet, but already drank the kool-aid. We can only save so many of them
Oh, come on. You know nothing about me aside from my status and the fact that I'm not loosing my shyte over this ad campaign. I'm not the only one who thinks it's being overblown. To suggest therefore that I've taken to some AOA overlord propaganda is presumptuous. With all due respect, eat a big one.

Members don't see this ad :)
A lot of the angst is because a lot of DO students want to be MDs so anything the AOA does to try to distinguish/promote the DO degree pisses them off because they want to be seen as MDs and not DOs. This is why I am adopting the position that it is sometimes better to turn down DO and reapply MD, especially if you are going to have an identity crisis over being a DO. There is nothing wrong with this ad campaign besides being a bit corny and I doubt that there are many MDs that are offended.

Reactions: 4 users
Just because a DO or DO student gets offended by the AOA's divisive nature doesn't mean that person is just a wannabe MD. The AOA has a history of drawing big distinctions along archaic, historical lines in an effort to set DOs apart. Its time and money could be better spent elsewhere (reigning in COCA, working to establish more GMA, etc.).

...The AOA has a history of drawing big distinctions along archaic, historical lines in an effort to set DOs apart...
Not even close. The AOA has done what it could to ensure that DOs continue to exist. The AMA, on the other hand, has a very long history of drawing big distinctions in an effort to not only set DOs apart, but to drive them out of existence altogether.

A lot of the angst is because a lot of DO students want to be MDs so anything the AOA does to try to distinguish/promote the DO degree pisses them off because they want to be seen as MDs and not DOs. This is why I am adopting the position that it is sometimes better to turn down DO and reapply MD, especially if you are going to have an identity crisis over being a DO. There is nothing wrong with this ad campaign besides being a bit corny and I doubt that there are many MDs that are offended.
Yup. MDs are not up in arms about this campaign. It's not even directed towards them, anyways.

Not even close. The AOA has done what it could to ensure that DOs continue to exist. The AMA, on the other hand, has a very long history of drawing big distinctions in an effort to not only set DOs apart, but to drive them out of existence altogether.

There's more than 1 one way to ensure that DOs continue to exist, and while the AOA has been successful in advocating for DOs in many ways, implying that only DOs 'look at the whole patient' or 'listen to patients' is rather inane. And yes, the AOA's distinctions are dated and represent historical differences that are not true in the modern practice setting. I understand that the AMA has done it's share of damage in the past. By taking a stance against an AOA advertising campaign, I am not automatically aligning with the AMA. I'm not sure how this got thrown into the mix..

it will not disappear as long as organizations like COSGP, SOMA, and SAAO continue to exist. the leaders of these groups are the future of the AOA. they mindlessly adopt the opinions of the current AOA leaders and regurgitate these opinions in order to gain rank within the group. the majority of these members have already changed their facebook profile pictures to the "surgery doesn't cure brain tumors: my back massages DO".

if you are ever walking the wards and see a blinding light coming toward you, run. run as fast as you can. it is likely the glow of light reflecting off the thousands of pins the members of these organizations wear on their white coats.

I think the beliefs of the 'DO establishment' have diverged from those of the average DO since at least the 1980s. At this point, most of us are simply embarrassed by this organization. It's that 5-10% of kool-aid drinkers in every DO school class that keep the charade going - and naturally, these tend to be the people who adore OMM as well.

And for the record - I'm proud to be a DO. However, I'm not proud to have an organization supposedly speaking for me that acts as if we've cornered the market on what is generally accepted to be good medical practice (listening to the patient and considering 'the whole patient'...how these are osteopathic-only traits?) and pushes a treatment modality (OMM) that has good aspects but is also liberally sprinkled with nonsense (cranial, Chapman's points, etc - the first time I explained cranial therapy to several neurology resident friends, the uncontrollable laughing want on for a good half hour).

Last edited:
I think the beliefs of the 'DO establishment' have diverged from those of the average DO since at least the 1980s. At this point, most of us are simply embarrassed by this organization. It's that 5-10% of kool-aid drinkers in every DO school class that keep the charade going - and naturally, these tend to be the people who adore OMM as well.

And for the record - I'm proud to be a DO. However, I'm not proud to have an organization supposedly speaking for me that acts as if we've cornered the market on what is generally accepted to be good medical practice (listening to the patient and considering 'the whole patient'...how these are osteopathic-only traits?) and pushes a treatment modality (OMM) that has good aspects but is also liberally sprinkled with nonsense (cranial, Chapman's points, etc - the first time I explained cranial therapy to several neurology resident friends, the uncontrollable laughing want on for a good half hour).

Thank you. This encompasses basically exactly how I feel. I'm proud of my school and the degree I'm earning; I just wish those in power would get with the times and stop perpetuating pseudo-science and a distinction that no longer exists.

Reactions: 1 user

i love you

I doubt I fall into the category of someone who adores OMM, but I'm also far from the category of those that disregard all of it because of the lack of evidence or things like Chapman's points.

This week I've successfully reduced or eliminated MSK pain that 5 patients (out of 6 that I've attempted it on - couldn't seem to focus on the right muscle group) complained about on an unrelated visit. Sure they are only a handful of the 50-some I've seen this week, but with a little bit of focused OMT, they felt significantly better to both their and my surprise. Anytime a good amount of time passes from me using OMT, I begin to become skeptical about it again, and then I get surprised by the almost night and day effect it has on some people with some complaints. I've honestly now seen even cranial (not by me, an established DO pediatrician) work on newborns after a vaginal delivery, but that doesn't really mean it would work on people whose cranial bones have fused... and I still don't think the theory we have of CRI makes much sense at all.

People seem to throw out the whole of OMT out of almost blind disbelief or because they can't understand how it could possibly work, but a lot of medicine really did start that way. Honestly, we still don't really know why ECT works, I mean we barely know exactly how Tylenol works (blah blah maybe COX 3 blah blah).

Anyway, I'm probably going to get criticized for even suggesting that OMT might work, but my advice to everyone is to keep an open mind (and that applies to all of medicine - afterall we don't know everything and some things we "knew" not too long ago turned out to be completely wrong). I now consider OMT a skillset I honestly plan to utilize in practice.

This all said, I use almost exclusively indirect techniques and soft-tissue methods, and I rarely use HVLA, so obviously if you think you could hurt someone with a technique you're not confident in, its not worth trying.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hallowmann, I don't think any of us were doubting the efficacy of certain parts of OMM. I myself love muscle energy; I've helped my dad with his back pain in the past using some simple ME. On the other hand, I believe that the AOA does help perpetuate the ridiculous parts of OMM, such as cranial, CRI, and Chapman's. If they truly cared about patient care and their membership and not perpetuating an ideology and holding onto power, they'd toss out their support for the methodologies that have been shown to be ineffective. As it is, cranial, Chapman's points, and the like only give people a reason to blow off OMM as pseudoscience and DOs as quacks. I recognize that most of our counterparts in the MD world have seen past such things, but the AOA does DOs no favors by clinging to the vestiges of antiquated treatment methodologies.

It's pretty simple. If you have a witness that swears by a part of their testimony even after being shown a multitude of evidence of why it's not possible and they still refuse to retract that part of their story, you start their question their legitimacy on the whole. That's what the AOA has done. They have entrenched their culture so far with cranial, chapmans, and VSR, that reasonable people (not "OMM haters") naturally dismiss anything to do with OMM. And rightfully so. You bring up COX 3 and ECT as therapies that are controversial and still sometimes used. Show me the people who swear by the mechanisms they propose. They aren't any. They fully acknowledge the uncertain nature of the MOA. This is a stark contrast to people speaking of OMM voodoo. The fact that there are things called chapman points on the ultimate licensing exam is just embarrassing.

[deleted]

Last edited:
It's pretty simple. If you have a witness that swears by a part of their testimony even after being shown a multitude of evidence of why it's not possible and they still refuse to retract that part of their story, you start their question their legitimacy on the whole. That's what the AOA has done. They have entrenched their culture so far with cranial, chapmans, and VSR, that reasonable people (not "OMM haters") naturally dismiss anything to do with OMM. And rightfully so. You bring up COX 3 and ECT as therapies that are controversial and still sometimes used. Show me the people who swear by the mechanisms they propose. They aren't any. They fully acknowledge the uncertain nature of the MOA. This is a stark contrast to people speaking of OMM voodoo. The fact that there are things called chapman points on the ultimate licensing exam is just embarrassing.

Yeah, I agree. My point wasn't in support of unsubstantiated mechanisms, but rather the tendency for people to throw out all of something because they don't necessarily understand it or know how it works. Not specifically you, which is why I didn't explicitly quote you, but some people are like that. I just wanted it to be clear that you can be both open minded when it comes to OMM and also question the believed mechanism or principles of it (in fact you should probably do that with everything you use our recommend).

As you said the goal should be to determine if something works and why it works. When we're faced with substantial evidence that contradicts our previous belief or impression, we should be willing to look elsewhere.

As far as people that swear by ECT and Tylenol, I'm sure I could find some. If I can run into a physician advising patients not to get vaccines (MD as if it matters) on rotations, I'm sure I could find someone that believes ECT works for everything and does so by changing your aura or by killing the little green men in your brain that cause negative emotions or seizures ;). Heck even Dr. Heimlich tried to argue that his maneuver could be used as a panacea.

Last edited:
I received an email today from the AOA requesting completion of a survey by "Edge Research to conduct an independent market research project to explore trends in the osteopathic profession and understand the needs of DOs and students today"
"The research will also help inform future planning aimed at advancing the profession and increasing public awareness."

If you received the same email, please complete the 10-15 minute survey if you wish to have your voice heard.

Yeah, I agree. My point wasn't in support of unsubstantiated mechanisms, but rather the tendency for people to throw out all of something because they don't necessarily understand it or know how it works. Not specifically you, which is why I didn't explicitly quote you, but some people are like that. I just wanted it to be clear that you can be both open minded when it comes to OMM and also question the believed mechanism or principles of it (in fact you should probably do that with everything you use our recommend).

As you said the goal should be to determine if something works and why it works. When we're faced with substantial evidence that contradicts our previous belief or impression, we should be willing to look elsewhere.

As far as people that swear by ECT and Tylenol, I'm sure I could find some. If I can run into a physician advising patients not to get vaccines (MD as if it matters) on rotations, I'm sure I could find someone that believes ECT works for everything and does so by changing your aura or by killing the little green men in your brain that cause negative emotions or seizures ;). Heck even Dr. Heimlich tried to argue that his maneuver could be used as a panacea.

There are MDs who push therapies that have no evidence backing them up, an MD trained Cardiologist wrote a book called "Wheat Belly" claiming that grains and gluten in the diet lead to excess weight gain and body fat. He asserts this from his own personal experience from refraining from grain products, apparently he had issues with his weight, and he believes that removing grain from the diet helped him achieve that weight loss.

There are other MDs pushing other types of therapies that have no scientific evidence backing up their efficacy.

There is another MD claiming grain consumption leads to a variety of neurological and psychiatric disorders, the title of the book is "Grain Brain".

Last edited:
I received an email today from the AOA requesting completion of a survey by "Edge Research to conduct an independent market research project to explore trends in the osteopathic profession and understand the needs of DOs and students today"
"The research will also help inform future planning aimed at advancing the profession and increasing public awareness."

If you received the same email, please complete the 10-15 minute survey if you wish to have your voice heard.

Hopefully that survey is completely anonymous. I was very honest about how I feel about the direction the AOA has been heading.

I'm not sure if it is just because of where I live, but ~75% of people who ask where I am going to school have never heard of the DO degree. I don't care for trying to distinguish between MD and DO, I just want people to stop asking if I'm becoming a bone doctor lol

I'm not sure if it is just because of where I live, but ~75% of people who ask where I am going to school have never heard of the DO degree. I don't care for trying to distinguish between MD and DO, I just want people to stop asking if I'm becoming a bone doctor lol

In my hometown its a very uphill battle to get a residency as a DO, there are some residency programs in rural and less desirable parts of Massachusetts that take DOs, but its a region dominated by MDs. That being said I decided to complete a residency in another state, too cold there anyway. I am not saying there are no DOs there, its just not easy considering the competition.

There are MDs who push therapies that have no evidence backing them up, an MD trained Cardiologist wrote a book called "Wheat Belly" claiming that grains and gluten in the diet lead to excess weight gain and body fat. He asserts this from his own personal experience from refraining from grain products, apparently he had issues with his weight, and he believes that removing grain from the diet helped him achieve that weight loss.

There are other MDs pushing other types of therapies that have no scientific evidence backing up their efficacy.

There is another MD claiming grain consumption leads to a variety of neurological and psychiatric disorders, the title of the book is "Grain Brain".
And they are full of **** too. But the big difference is the MD licensing and accrediting bodies aren't fully backing them. There are no "bad wheat" questions on the USMLE. There sure as **** are cranial techniques and clitoral chapmans points behind the knee on the comlex. See the difference?

Reactions: 3 users
And they are full of **** too. But the big difference is the MD licensing and accrediting bodies aren't fully backing them. There are no "bad wheat" questions on the USMLE. There sure as **** are cranial techniques and clitoral chapmans points behind the knee on the comlex. See the difference?

Lol

Yeah but if DO schools removed the OMM curriculum they would become community based MD schools and then many of us would not be doctors because its much harder to get admission to an MD school than a DO school. Most DOs I met do not practice OMM in the real world, there are a small number who actually use it in their clinical practice.

Lol he lost weight because cutting out the grain also likely meat cutting out a crap ton of carbs.

Lol he lost weight because cutting out the grain also likely meat cutting out a crap ton of carbs.

Probably true, another doctor who wrote a harsh review of his book said its basically another version of the Atkins Diet. Its amazing how MDs can get away with touting non evidence based therapies and treatments but the public never questions their training and education, its different for those of us who are DOs.

While I love that the AOA is advocating for our profession, I think the ads they are using are pretty corny and can actually be used negatively. The public definitely needs more awareness of the DO degree, but not as much as SDN pre-meds need it. Can the AOA create an ad campaign for them please? Just please don't make it so corny... (machines don't feel, I DO :nono:)

I don't mind the "DOs that DO" thing. We gotta say something. I think patients are more receptive to it than "DOs, we are very similar to MDs and are also doctors."

it will not disappear as long as organizations like COSGP, SOMA, and SAAO continue to exist. the leaders of these groups are the future of the AOA. they mindlessly adopt the opinions of the current AOA leaders and regurgitate these opinions in order to gain rank within the group. the majority of these members have already changed their facebook profile pictures to the "surgery doesn't cure brain tumors: my back massages DO".

if you are ever walking the wards and see a blinding light coming toward you, run. run as fast as you can. it is likely the glow of light reflecting off the thousands of pins the members of these organizations wear on their white coats.
Lol, pins. The first thing I did was remove all of mine when I got my white coat- I'm not a damn Friday's server.
event_209386832.jpeg

While I love that the AOA is advocating for our profession, I think the ads they are using are pretty corny and can actually be used negatively. The public definitely needs more awareness of the DO degree, but not as much as SDN pre-meds need it. Can the AOA create an ad campaign for them please? Just please don't make it so corny... (machines don't feel, I DO :nono:)

They would do more of a service to DOs if they encouraged schools to invest more in their currently open schools rather than build new extension campuses. Emphasis on quality helped DOs advance into mainstream medicine, now it seems to be an emphasis on quantity.

Lol, pins. The first thing I did was remove all of mine when I got my white coat- I'm not a damn Friday's server.
event_209386832.jpeg

Only pin I'll be wearing is an American flag

They would do more of a service to DOs if they encouraged schools to invest more in their currently open schools rather than build new extension campuses. Emphasis on quality helped DOs advance into mainstream medicine, now it seems to be an emphasis on quantity.
I couldn't agree more. Not only extension campuses but the class sizes are getting ridiculous too.

This really is some nursing lobby level advertising

Some people are still clueless what osteopathic medicine is... even those who work in the healthcare along DO's.
When I told one of my coworkers that I am starting osteopathic medical school, she asked me whether I am going to study nursing or doctoring there. :bucktooth: " I will study to become a physician duuuhhh" I told her. Well, whatever, the person is not on the medical side, so she probably does not know.
Well today I told RN that I am going to the osteopathic med school.
" What are you going to study there?" she asked
"o_Oo_Oo_O ummm medicine"- I told her.

I do think people need to be educated about osteopathic medicine, I do not think AOA is doing a good job tho.

Some people are still clueless what osteopathic medicine is... even those who work in the healthcare along DO's.
When I told one of my coworkers that I am starting osteopathic medical school, she asked me whether I am going to study nursing or doctoring there. :bucktooth: " I will study to become a physician duuuhhh" I told her. Well, whatever, the person is not on the medical side, so she probably does not know.

I do think people need to be educated about osteopathic medicine, I do not think AOA is doing a good job tho.
I don't think this only applies to osteopathic medicine. I've told numerous people I was going to med school and they asked what I was going to study there.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I don't think this only applies to osteopathic medicine. I've told numerous people I was going to med school and they asked what I was going to study there.

No comment lol
why..? how? :confused:

Best thing I have done since graduation, unsubscribe from all AOA crap, and throw away the AOA membership renewal form.

"membership fee $55"
suggested gift to AOAOCO $55
suggested gift to ACGICOGO $55
suggested gift to BLAH BLAH $55

begging for money

No comment lol
why..? how? :confused:

Most lay people dont understand what medical school is unless they have family or freinds who have gone through it. I think med school is what a lot of medical assistants call their schooling (check instagram by searching #medschool and youll see what i mean). Better off calling it doctor school to the lay person but we are in a time where youll get a response like "my friend is going to doctor schooltoo! shes getting her dnp at national university online!"

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Most of my class went to DO school as a fallback to MD school, when most of us go into the real world of medicine, most of us will be happy to be physicians, we really will not care whether people know about Osteopathic Medicine or not, many people at my school do not do much to promote the awareness, they realize this reality. Some other schools make a big emphasis on the Osteopathic emphasis of the curriculum, others do not, there are many schools that fall into the latter category.

If you look at the merger, many DO residencies are closing, which will make DO awareness even harder.

Most of my class went to DO school as a fallback to MD school, when most of us go into the real world of medicine, most of us will be happy to be physicians, we really will not care whether people know about Osteopathic Medicine or not, many people at my school do not do much to promote the awareness, they realize this reality. Some other schools make a big emphasis on the Osteopathic emphasis of the curriculum, others do not, there are many schools that fall into the latter category.

If you look at the merger, many DO residencies are closing, which will make DO awareness even harder.

With the massive amounts of DO students being pumped out, DO awareness will rise. It will just be a matter of how much does the lay people know about DO physicians and what they do. This is where the importance of good advertisements comes in.

With the massive amounts of DO students being pumped out, DO awareness will rise. It will just be a matter of how much does the lay people know about DO physicians and what they do. This is where the importance of good advertisements comes in.

That is the main way people will become aware of DOs, but as a whole there will be nothing to differentiate DOs from MDs other than OMM and many schools' emphasis on primary care medicine. Many DOs do not want to be seen as different, because to many people that implies being inferior. I have met quite a few DOs who have "MD" on their lab coats and ID tags.

That is the main way people will become aware of DOs, but as a whole there will be nothing to differentiate DOs from MDs other than OMM and many schools' emphasis on primary care medicine.

With the merger, that difference will be gone also. MD residencies/schools having OMM sessions and there already are primary care focused medical schools, my state school is an example of one.

That is the main way people will become aware of DOs, but as a whole there will be nothing to differentiate DOs from MDs other than OMM and many schools' emphasis on primary care medicine. Many DOs do not want to be seen as different, because to many people that implies being inferior. I have met quite a few DOs who have "MD" on their lab coats and ID tags.
People always say this. But have never seen it. Where are all these people that do this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

People always say this. But have never seen it. Where are all these people that do this?

Sent from my SM-N910V using SDN mobile

Ran into a few that had "MD" on their coats and ID badges at some hospitals where the majority of physicians were MDs, these were large tertiary hospitals. I have friends who encountered other DOs who passed themselves off this way, in the real world, once you finish your residency and fellowship and are in practice, no one cares what school you went to or where you received your degree.

Hospital administrations in some places see no difference between DOs and MDs.

Last edited:

I was with a DO attending in the ED and we were talking about me going off to med school and osteopathic medicine. And there was a tech right there listening to us and he says to the attending very seriously "osteopathic..so you're like a bone Doctor?" And the attending goes "what do you think? I've been working here in the Emergency room with you for the last 5 years" and the tech just blank stared at him like he had no idea what was going on

Last edited:
I was with a DO attending in the ED and we were talking about me going off to med school and osteopathic medicine. And there was a tech right there listening to us and he says to the attending "so you're like a bone Doctor?" And the attending goes "what do you think? I've been working in the ER with you for the last 5 years" and the tech just blank stared at him like he had no idea what was going on
People are pretty ignorant in general.