AOBNP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm irritated with all this MOC stuff, and a mentor back from my med school days reminded me about the osteopathic boards. However, I know absolutely nothing about them. Do they have a similar MOC-style thing? What's the general impression of them? For future privileges, are they considered equivalent to the ABPN?

I also have a bit of confusion. I did a military internship, residency, and fellowship -- am I even eligible to take the general psych AOBNP exam? Are military programs dual-accredited by the AOA and ACGME?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
I'm irritated with all this MOC stuff, and a mentor back from my med school days reminded me about the osteopathic boards. However, I know absolutely nothing about them. Do they have a similar MOC-style thing? What's the general impression of them? For future privileges, are they considered equivalent to the ABPN?

I also have a bit of confusion. I did a military internship, residency, and fellowship -- am I even eligible to take the general psych AOBNP exam? Are military programs dual-accredited by the AOA and ACGME?

Thanks!
I don't know the rules about an MD going for AOA boarding.....but as silly as it is for a psych to have to memorize our omm rules they aren't that complicated if you just stop trying to make them justifiable in your mind. If you treat it like memorizing the rules to dungeons and dragons it's simple.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know the rules about an MD going for AOA boarding.....but as silly as it is for a psych to have to memorize our omm rules they aren't that complicated if you just stop trying to make them justifiable in your mind. If you treat it like memorizing the rules to dungeons and dragons it's simple.

I all fairness to D&D, a level 12 wizard can cure depression and anxiety better.

Reactions: 3 users
IMO, general OMM/OMT is included on the AOBPN exam in an obligatory sense, and is included vestigially for political reasons rather than for actual clinical utility. I would argue the same issue for most AOA specialties and subspecialties excluding primary care and neuromuscular medicine. Also, its unlikely you would see obscure material from such studies making it onto an AOBPN board exam, just as you wouldn't expect to see information from an obscure study making it onto the ABPN board.

IMO, general OMM/OMT is included on the AOBPN exam in an obligatory sense, and is included vestigially for political reasons rather than for actual clinical utility. I would argue the same issue for most AOA specialties and subspecialties excluding primary care and neuromuscular medicine. Also, its unlikely you would see obscure material from such studies making it onto an AOBPN board exam, just as you wouldn't expect to see information from an obscure study making it onto the ABPN board.

Eh, I'm from the corn-fed Midwest where DOs make up 20-25% of physicians (and my hometown was home to one of the biggest DO training hospitals in the country), so you won't hear an argument for me about that, but I've had some weird interactions with the true believers in the last couple weeks. While our boards are hardly altruistic enterprises, supporting "unique" osteo boards just seems like adding another head to the hydra.