applicant/ positions- competitiveness of subspecialties

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panipuri

resident
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
check the attachment below

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• 2009 nrmp stats.docx
    11.2 KB · Views: 195
the above is 2010 nrmp match stats and not 2009...

This cleary suggests... competitiveness
1.GI
2.Endo
3.Cardio
4.Heme onc
5.Nephro
6.Rheum
7.PCC
8. Allergy and Immunology
9. ID

Members don't see this ad :)
This cleary suggests... competitiveness
1.GI
2.Endo
3.Cardio
4.Heme onc
5.Nephro
6.Rheum
7.PCC
8. Allergy and Immunology
9. ID

I doubt if you can make this a sole criterion for deciding competitiveness!!

PCC should be way above other specialties..endo in lower tier and Nephro given recent trends way way low!!

But in any case its an informative list

stats are sayin..m not buddy...
this is competitiveness on basis of spots avaialble and applicants...

if youconsider only applicants number pulmonary will be higher...but the spots avaialbe for fellowship is higher too...many community programs have pulm fellowship coz they need icu fellows.

while endo is solely in university setting...and very few spots..no.of applicants are higher compared to available spots..thats why it becomes more competitive...
so yes PCC is competitive but spots available are many...so its way low on the list...

stats are sayin..m not buddy...
this is competitiveness on basis of spots avaialble and applicants...

if youconsider only applicants number pulmonary will be higher...but the spots avaialbe for fellowship is higher too...many community programs have pulm fellowship coz they need icu fellows.

while endo is solely in university setting...and very few spots..no.of applicants are higher compared to available spots..thats why it becomes more competitive...
so yes PCC is competitive but spots available are many...so its way low on the list...

I have to aggree with Nephro. I think a better evaluation (yet somewhat crude) is to look at the ratio of # of FMG's that apply to a certain specialty to those who actually match....then compare these ratios amongst all specialties. I'm skeptical that endocrinology is that competitive, even though it's a great outpatient field that affords a nice lifestyle.

Not this nonsense (again)

I seriously lack the energy to describe why the list described above is stupid garbage, especially to someone that posted it in all seriousness.

I'm going back to the regularly scheduled programming.

I seriously lack the energy to describe why the list described above is stupid garbage, especially to someone that posted it in all seriousness.

two words:
self
selection

Don't comment then... Don't spend your energy in commenting.

Well one reason this list isn't accurate is it doesn't take into account positions filled outside the match. What do you guys consider a good match rate? would 70% be a touch match or easy match?
:rolleyes:

yeah that list doesn't totally jive with some real-life experiences I've heard about. However, i guess individual experiences do depend on each applicant's portfolio--i mean, someone who is a shoo-in for cards (for whatever reason, academic vs. nepotism vs both) might get 30 interviews and match at their #1, and not really feel the specialty is that competitive whereas a less desirable applicant (whether it's b/c of academics, reputation, or FMG status--hey i'm not saying the system is fair) to something like endocrine or ID might get barely any interviews and feel like those fields are extremely competitive.

I do agree somewhat with people saying there is some degree of self selection going on, in that some applicants who feel that they would never get in to a stereotypical "competitive" subspecialty end up choosing a stereotypically "less competitive" subspecialty, but then dont really end up trying to have credentials that demonstrate their commitment to the field or to an academic career (for those programs that focus on producing academicians), because they dont think they need to put in that effort since it's supposed to "not be competitive." But then there are the applicants applying to those same "uncompetitive" fields that have a real passion for it, and do have all these accomplishments that demonstrate their interest and commitment, and obviously the programs are going to have more confidence in applicants such as this.

The immediate disadvantage FMGs face is an unfortunate part of the process and I really can't explain that one other than it being a bureaucratic issue of funding. I think, though, that the numbers shared by panipuri in the OP do reflect some degree of FMGs tending to apply to something like endocrine thinking they might have a better shot of landing a fellowship spot, but unfortunately many programs automatically either dont even consider your candidacy, or would rather take an AMG if all else is equal.

And yes, I agree with prematches not being accounted for in this list, was going to mention it as well.

Last edited:
My overall impression of subspecialty competitiveness:

GI=cards=?=AI
Heme/onc
PCCM=endocrine > rheum=ID=renal (only 5000 US nephrologists while dialysis patients are on the order of hundreds of thousands :eek:--VERY understaffed)

PCCM is NOT a competitive specialty as far as I know, though as with any field some individual PROGRAMS may be more selective than others, if not near impossible to match at.

but HECK. WHO CARES.

Do what you LOVE!!!!

@workholics anon...
yes u r right...

check this out...2011 nrmp stats

rankings differ for AMG and all applicants(includes imgs)

so you are right...for e.g Endocrine on amg rankings becomes competitive for imgs...reason is programs favor amgs when selecting fellow even if they hv img applicants...thats why its low on amg rankings but is above cardio for imgs...

Attachments

• 2011 nrmp stats.docx
    11.9 KB · Views: 177
wait so is A/I like totally non-competitive now?? There are more spots than applicants, or 1:1 maybe.

Pulmonary medicine is so uncompetitive in Mexico that the CIRPHS was forced to make it a direct route specialty last year like Neurology and Dermatology are in the US to try to increase the # of Pneumologists in the country. I think there's like only 150 of them in the entire country and Tuberculosis is rampant everywhere.

The list in the US doesn't surprise me. Cardiology, Gastro and ED are also the most competitive subs of IM (not to mention Dermatology which isn't direct route). Geriatrics was also uncompetitive to such a degree that they were also forced to make it a direct route specialty last year. There's only 200 geriatricians in the entire country and thousands and thousands of unemployed Pediatricians because there's less children than before.

:eek:

why nephrology is so low on the list? I thought nephrology make more money than ID/ENDO/rheum and slightly less than the pulm.