Fellowship Transfer to another program, same subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FellowDoc

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I really need your help. I would like to know if transfer during fellowship (same subspecialty) is possible?

My situation is, I’m a first year fellow and I don’t like my current program as much as I should. Recently I came across an opening in another program. I even talked to them and they kinda liked me and they’re even okay with me starting July 2023 as 2nd year fellow in their program.

But how is the transfer process? Do I need to obtain a waiver through NRMP?

I appreciate your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don't need an NRMP waiver. All you need is for the other program to accept you. You resign from the first program, and start at the second.

You will likely need an acceptable reference / summary from your current program also.

This happens very infrequently. If you had asked in general (without another program already being interested) I would tell you that the chances of it happening were very small.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not sure I’d go through all the effort of trying to switch etc - especially when these fellowships are only 2-3 years.

What’s going on at your current program? Is it just a matter of not liking it, or is it malignant or otherwise seriously lacking somehow?

Members don't see this ad :)
You don't need an NRMP waiver. All you need is for the other program to accept you. You resign from the first program, and start at the second.

You will likely need an acceptable reference / summary from your current program also.

This happens very infrequently. If you had asked in general (without another program already being interested) I would tell you that the chances of it happening were very small.
Thanks for your input. I called NRMP this morning and I was told that I don't need waiver.

I’m not sure I’d go through all the effort of trying to switch etc - especially when these fellowships are only 2-3 years.

What’s going on at your current program? Is it just a matter of not liking it, or is it malignant or otherwise seriously lacking somehow?
It's not malignant at all, in fact it's very chill! Everyone is so nice. But it's lacking in training.

It's not malignant at all, in fact it's very chill! Everyone is so nice. But it's lacking in training.

I have seen similar situations. Some people do choose to switch programs, while others stay and push through (you may need to spend extra time learning yourself. Do more readings and round with the team in your off times. Volunteer to go to more clinics)

If you are in rheumatology, can PM me

Were you able to transfer? I am in the same situation. I want to transfer to a different program in the same sub specialty.
I know it is very hard but not impossible. My program is malignant.
How do you find an open spot? My PD would happily let me go!

Hi all,

I really need your help. I would like to know if transfer during fellowship (same subspecialty) is possible?

My situation is, I’m a first year fellow and I don’t like my current program as much as I should. Recently I came across an opening in another program. I even talked to them and they kinda liked me and they’re even okay with me starting July 2023 as 2nd year fellow in their program.

But how is the transfer process? Do I need to obtain a waiver through NRMP?

I appreciate your help.

Hello,

Were you able to transfer? I am in the same situation. I want to transfer to a different program in the same sub specialty.
I would really appreciate your help.

Hello,

I would really appreciate your help.
One of our first year cardio fellows just let our program know he is leaving at the end of this month. We are in Michigan and NOT a malignant program at all

Hi I also want to how it we
How it went for you? I am planning to this as well

If you are interested in transferring, you should check out residentswap.org