Application year after NRMP waiver

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stopinthenameoflove

Reaction score
So I was given an NRMP waiver due to some health issues that needed to be addressed and unfortunately would take longer than the program was willing to wait. I am now reapplying and heading into the interview season but was wondering if anyone has done this and how you approach interviews? I have been told by advisors to just be as honest as possible. I was wondering how much programs will know about my circumstances going into interviews simply so I can be prepared for the questions.

Members don't see this ad.

There's nothing in ERAS that tells us about an NRMP waiver. There will be the gap year which you may be asked about. Gap years might be very common in some scenarios -- esp IMG's who need to take the USMLE exams. For USMD/DO, or carib IMG, less so -- people expect you'll match in immediately. So more than likely, you'll be asked about why you have this gap / what you did. Being honest is the best solution.

Ultimately, programs can check your match history in the NRMP site. I guess some programs might check now, I've always looked while I'm submitting my list And I expect that most people never check (it's an extra step on the NRMP site).