Applied/Accepted, Fall 2012!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ok, officially submitted my enrollment form to Hopkins today! Posting my stats in case this is useful to anyone..

Undergrad GPA: 3.85
GRE: 630V / 800Q / 4.5W

Experience: Undergraduate research and volunteer experience abroad, 1-2 years work experience in global health program management

Applied (all around late December - early January): GWU, Columbia MPH, Harvard SM80, Hopkins MSPH
Accepted: GWU (no funding), Columbia ($20K merit scholarship each year), Harvard (half tuition), JHSPH (nearly full tuition)
Decision: JHSPH

Note that I applied as an international student and wasn't expecting any aid, especially since I didn't have any demonstrated need either. So, to those of you in the same boat... don't despair - it's possible!
Idlemuse, you already heard about financial aid from all those schools??? Hm...I wonder if that's bad news for me, because I haven't heard from any of them on that (minus Harvard, which I didn't apply to). Do you know if they were intl student-specific scholarships?

Members don't see this ad.

Where do students usually live?

Last edited:
Idlemuse, you already heard about financial aid from all those schools??? Hm...I wonder if that's bad news for me, because I haven't heard from any of them on that (minus Harvard, which I didn't apply to). Do you know if they were intl student-specific scholarships?

Hi there,

I know the JHSPH one is for both domestic and intl students but I believe it's extremely limited.

HSPH was a general tuition waiver from OSFS, most likely based on merit. Apart from that funding pool, OSFS said that there are still school-wide scholarships that are still being rolled out -- in fact, they said that many of them would not be decided on until late March.

The Columbia grant was a specific institutional scholarship. They have all of them listed here: http://publichealth.columbia.edu/apply/financial-aid/scholarships-fellowships and my guess is that they are deciding on varying timeframes... perhaps you could find out more info if you called the admissions office.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got accepted to Columbia for epi.

But I wasn't that excited. Kinda just shrugged bc it doesn't seem to be a very competetive program since they accept just about everybody.
Really, Lenoch?!? Arrogant and unnecessary.

Hi there,

I know the JHSPH one is for both domestic and intl students but I believe it's extremely limited.

HSPH was a general tuition waiver from OSFS, most likely based on merit. Apart from that funding pool, OSFS said that there are still school-wide scholarships that are still being rolled out -- in fact, they said that many of them would not be decided on until late March.

The Columbia grant was a specific institutional scholarship. They have all of them listed here: http://publichealth.columbia.edu/apply/financial-aid/scholarships-fellowships and my guess is that they are deciding on varying timeframes... perhaps you could find out more info if you called the admissions office.
That's helpful, thanks. Congrats on all the great offers, and on making a decision!! I'll most likely be your classmate at JHSPH in the fall :)

Yeaaahhh I think I'll stay in so cal lol

Haha I know what you mean. Tulane also has it bit if you really like so cal I don't think you'd be into new orleans

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Okay, I'm deciding between UCLA Community Health Sciences, UMich HBHE, and Yale CDE. Hoping I can find a little clarity in a couple of weeks! I guess I can't go wrong with any of these schools, but it's still tough decsion...

I'm in at Cornell and VCU for Health administration! I'm kind of freaking out about which one would be best though...

VCU is higher ranked and would have in-state tuition rates
Cornell has the name and it would be great to travel, but I'm not sure how respected the program is or how effective the job placement process is (VCU is 100%).

Any advice?

I'm in at Cornell and VCU for Health administration! I'm kind of freaking out about which one would be best though...

Cornell has the name and it would be great to travel, but I'm not sure how respected the program is or how effective the job placement process is (VCU is 100%).

Any advice?

Prestige can definitely help you out, but having connections is far more important. If VCU would allow you the better connections, then I would personally chose VCU.

I got accepted in the accelerated MPH degree program in epidemiology at Columbia; I have applied to the two year MPH program. Am I accepted to the accelerated MPH program because I'm a dual degree student (MS/MPH..nursing/mph)? Thanks you for your time in advance.

according to their website, to be considered for the accelerated MPH program one needs to have graduate degree or nearly complete doctoral degree. I only have my undergrad degree and i'm kind of confused... help pls?

Hi guys, i was wondering how do the ones admitted to Columbia master intend to pay for it (in case they didn't get any school funding)? It seems to me that it will be 80,000 minimum per year: 60,000 for the fees and minimum 20,000 for living (which means starving in NYC). Taking 80,000 in loans just seems plain crazy to me....I haven't been accepted/rejected yet, in the meantime i am telling myself i wouldn't be able to afford it anyway....

I just got accepted to UMass Amherst MPH program for Health Policy & Management. Very excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe it costs total $60,000 per year ish.

Last edited:
thanks Lenoch for the info. i was convinced that 60,000 is for the tuition only:( For us Europeans this whole loan and debt business is pretty confusing and scary, we are just not used to thinking about it.

good luck with your plans!

I got accepted in the accelerated MPH degree program in epidemiology at Columbia; I have applied to the two year MPH program. Am I accepted to the accelerated MPH program because I'm a dual degree student (MS/MPH..nursing/mph)? Thanks you for your time in advance.

according to their website, to be considered for the accelerated MPH program one needs to have graduate degree or nearly complete doctoral degree. I only have my undergrad degree and i'm kind of confused... help pls?
Hey tnot, the same thing happened to me. I applied to the joint MPH/MPA program and was surprised to receive a letter saying I was accepted to the one-year accelerated MPH program (which I am not qualified for or interested in). I asked about it and they said "all dual degree students must apply to the one-year accelerated MPH program" and I could only switch into the two year program if I no longer wanted to do the joint degree. I guess they automatically switch all dual-degree applicants into the one-year accelerated MPH track. I assume this is because the joint programs cut out a bit of time and you have to do the accelerated MPH to fit it all in. That is not at all clear on the website, but that was the impression I got from emailing with admissions. Does that help at all? Might still be good to confirm, since there's a chance the MS/MPH is different...

That sounds correct. I know at a lot of schools you have to apply to both components of the joint program, and you are put into the condensed/accelerated version of the MPH. Are you sure that isn't the case with yours, tnot?

Any advice?

It really depends on what you want to go into after you graduate. For example, many consulting firms recruit from a specific set of schools whose reputation/prestige factors heavily into their inclusion in the process. On the other hand, hospitals tend to recruit from a broader array of programs. Another thing to keep in mind is that VCU offers a one year administrative residency while Cornell doesn't.

I'm looking for a program that has a major focus on health policy. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:
It's decision time. I have heard back from all programs but one (hello, Yale?) but I need to start making a decision. I was accepted into Columbia, UIC, BU, U of M and GWU. My main interest is Global Health. I live in a major city right now and would like to continue to do so. I have always wanted to move to NYC but now I am realizing how expensive it really is! I would love to hear your thoughts on these programs: i.e. networking opportunities, global health strength, quality of life, satisfaction of program from current students, etc... I won't be able to attend all of the admitted students day so if there are any current students from the above listed schools, please share your insight!
Thanks!

Accepted: Columbia (Pop and Fam Health with a concentration in Global Health), UIC (Community Health), BU (International Health), University of Michigan (Health Behavior & Health Education), GWU (Global Health)
Waiting: Yale
Rejected:

I'm still waiting for Berkeley, Epi/Biost in specific.

I emailed the epi department a couple weeks ago and they said the decisions would be released within this week.

But it's already Friday!!! Not a word yet...

has anyone heard from berkeley yet? -___-

I heard from Berkeley via email yesterday. Rejected from EHS MPH. I applied Dec 1st... was my top choice but I figured it was out of reach.

What may I ask is the nature of your unofficial UCLA accepteance? And who has heard from UCLA EHS?

Last edited:
I heard from Berkeley via email yesterday. Rejected from EHS MPH. I applied Dec 1st... was my top choice but I figured it was out of reach.

What may I ask is the nature of your unofficial UCLA accepteance? And who has heard from UCLA EHS?

I heard from UCLA EHS just yesterday. An email told me to view the decision at https://www.gradadmissions.ucla.edu/newapp/Login.asp?topage=AdmissionStatus.asp
You have to click on your "application term"

Hopefully you'll hear from them soon! It seems like there are unofficial/official responses coming out.

WOW! Someone else waiting for UCB epi/biostats, I thought I was the only one. I also heard that we'd hear back the 1st week of March. Maybe 2 pm decision release, just like the MCAT?

Hey tnot, the same thing happened to me. I applied to the joint MPH/MPA program and was surprised to receive a letter saying I was accepted to the one-year accelerated MPH program (which I am not qualified for or interested in). I asked about it and they said "all dual degree students must apply to the one-year accelerated MPH program" and I could only switch into the two year program if I no longer wanted to do the joint degree. I guess they automatically switch all dual-degree applicants into the one-year accelerated MPH track. I assume this is because the joint programs cut out a bit of time and you have to do the accelerated MPH to fit it all in. That is not at all clear on the website, but that was the impression I got from emailing with admissions. Does that help at all? Might still be good to confirm, since there's a chance the MS/MPH is different...

do you know how tuition is calculated for dual degree programs? i know that each MPH and MS cost around $60,000 at Columbia. Do you know that we, dual degree students, will make payment for around $120,000 in tuition or it will be much less as we'll be combining classes between the two majors? Do you know how many credit hours is needed to complete the accelerated MPH at Columbia? I emailed Columbia, they said they will get back to me and I have not heard anything yet. Thanks for your help in advance!

for anyone curious, Yale plans to start giving financial aid packages by next week. :luck:

Hi mikan ,congrats~~When did you recieve your offer from UNC-MCH?

Hi mikan ,congrats~~When did you recieve your offer from UNC-MCH?

Thanks xiaoqianli! Here's my timeline:
- submission of online application: 10 jan
- email invitation for phone interview: 26jan
- actual phone interview: 6feb
- official acceptance (email linking to online application system): 14feb

Hope this helps! How did your phone interview go?

Last edited:
Thanks xiaoqianli! Here's my timeline:
- submission of online application: 10 jan
- email invitation for phone interview: 26jan
- actual phone interview: 6feb
- official acceptance (email linking to online application system): 14feb

Hope this helps! How did your phone interview go?
I got in the UNC- MCH, but haven't received any financial aid from the dept,55555. So you mean you get your official ad with your awards at the same time via email?

This is my timeline:
submission:1.10 the same time with you ,haha
email from the dept for the interview:1.26
interview:2.10
ad via email:2.21

I am still waiting on UCLA CHS... I feel like they're just being cruel now.

MPH in Child & Adolescent Health - JHSPH ! :)
It wasn't easy at all saying no to Columbia but a choice had to be made.

Best of luck to those who are still waiting.

-------------
Applied: JHU (MPH - Child & Adolescent Health), Columbia (Accelerated MPH in Population & Family Health), Tufts (General MPH), U Miami (MPH), GWU (MPH in Maternal & Child Health), U Texas (General MPH) - I know it's a "diverse" group but I had personal reasons to apply to those places as well
Accepted: JHU, Columbia and Tufts
Withdrew application: All other places!

Has anyone received any financial aid from UMich's HBHE program?

I haven't heard anything from HBHE yet but email them a week and a half ago to ask about awards. As per Jackie Cormany, "We are trying to make decisions and get them out in the mail before Admitted Students Day on Mar 16. Notification will be sent from the Dean's Office and will later show up on Wolverine Access." So, if given an award, we should hear sometime this week! :)

I've heard form all my schools, finally!

Heard from Brown last night and was accepted into the Master's Program in Behavioral and Social Sciences Intervention (BSSI), Brown University Program in Public Health, with a merit scholarship that covers 25%! :clap: Pretty excited... I'm deciding between BU and Brown now.

I visited BU and really loved it... but also need to check out Brown.

Applied: BU, GWU, NYU, Harvard, Columbia, UConn, Dartmouth, Drexel, New York Medical College, Brown, Uni Pittsburgh

Rejected: Harvard, Columbia

Accepted: BU (merit scholarship), GWU, NYU (merit scholarship), UConn, Dartmouth, Drexel, New York Medical College, Brown (merit scholarship), Uni Pittsburgh

Last edited:
MPHApplicant92-

I lived in Newport for three years and love Rhode Island. I also lived in Massachusetts for three years right after. (Both were duty stations in the military) Where are you from? If you have the opportunity to visit, I would highly recommend it. Providence is not that great, but it isn't that bad. For a small city there are a lot of fun things to do there, and you aren't that far from Boston if you want to go up. For me, the choice would be Brown, no questions asked!

How much was your merit scholarship at BU and what program were you accepted to there?
Good luck with your decision :)

I hadn't even heard about general financial aid from UMich. I called to see what was up, and they informed me that since I didn't put my SS# on my application to the school (it was optional), that they couldn't pull my FAFSA up and create a financial aid package. Hopefully no one else has this same problem.

does that mean theyre done handing out acceptances?

I'm not too sure about this. Have you called/ emailed the MCH Program Coordinator?
I remembered there were at least 5 of us on this board who went through a phone interview and received our admission decisions 2-3 weeks later.

MPHApplicant92-

I lived in Newport for three years and love Rhode Island. I also lived in Massachusetts for three years right after. (Both were duty stations in the military) Where are you from? If you have the opportunity to visit, I would highly recommend it. Providence is not that great, but it isn't that bad. For a small city there are a lot of fun things to do there, and you aren't that far from Boston if you want to go up. For me, the choice would be Brown, no questions asked!

How much was your merit scholarship at BU and what program were you accepted to there?
Good luck with your decision :)

Thanks! I'm from Boston, so visiting BU was obviously no problem. They gave me a $12,000 scholarship (Social & Behavioral Science). I've heard the commute between Boston and Providence is about 45 minutes via Amtrak?

I'll def. need to make it down to Providence in the coming month or so.

I hadn't even heard about general financial aid from UMich. I called to see what was up, and they informed me that since I didn't put my SS# on my application to the school (it was optional), that they couldn't pull my FAFSA up and create a financial aid package. Hopefully no one else has this same problem.

I too called to find out why Wolverine Access hadn't posted any loans (scholarships will come from the SPH via email) and was told it was because they were missing my SS#. Having entered this info when I registered with SOPHAS, I called the Office of Academic Affairs at the SPH and the director told me that the school used a different electronic service this year to extract our SS#s from SOPHAS. Needless to say, it's been a slow process connecting this info with our application. But he was really nice and offered to enter mine manually, and by the next day, the Financial Aid Office had posted my loans to WA.

Financial aid package from UNC--all loans. >.< And got into Hopkins.

S Carolina JUST confirmed receipt of my application. Seriously?

Is anyone accepted/considering Harvard's HPM program 80 credit MS (or really any other department)? If so, I would love to hear how you are comparing it to any of your other options. And if you might be going to the admitted students day.

Has anyone been wait-listed into a PhD program and then accepted, or know if it's very common? I just called UPitt to check on my status (the only school I applied for PhD) and they told me I was wait listed, but they weren't sure which position I was in on the wait list--they're waiting to hear back from admissions, and that's why they hadn't sent me my letter let.

Should I be excited? I'm pretty happy, but I'm not sure if I should get my hopes up.

I'm not sure 100% about Columbia, but I do know that they just changed to the SOPHAS system this year and had a ton of problems when they sent out acceptance letters (i.e. sending the wrong letter, sending 2 different decisions, etc.). You may want to reach out to them just to check technically everything is okay (the lady in admissions is not the most pleasant person to talk to, but you can give her a try). Good Luck!