apply early with CDAT VS retake CDAT and/or USDAT (reapplicant)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

edc217

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone Canadian reapplicant here :rofl:

I did my undergrad in the States and a la carte post-bacc in Canada. I applied late in Sept 2021 to Canadian schools and a few US schools (Suny at Buffalo, NOVA, Pitts) but only got an interview at UBC. I continued to work as a dental assistant while taking more pre-reqs and science electives. I also redid the CDAT this year.

I am looking to reapply for this cycle. Is it better to submit early in June with my 2023 CDAT scores or retake the CDAT and/or US DAT in mid July/ early Aug for improved scores? Would appreciate it if anyone knows whether taking the US DAT can increase my chances at US schools that accept the CDAT or whether an improved CDAT is good enough?

Please, if any Canadian accepted to US schools can share your CDAT and/or USDAT stats?

CDAT:
2021: RC 20 Bio 16 GC 20 TS 18 AA 19 PAT 18
2023: RC 20 Bio 20 GC 23 TS 21 AA 21 PAT 18

Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.77
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.79

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
schools are pretty competitive for international students, 19AA just wouldn't cut it. The 21AA improvement helps, however the 18PAT isn't great. What did you say for manual dexterity prompt?

I would apply to much more schools. Look at the east coast and Midwest - Minnesota, Marquette, Creighton, UDM, Touro, Temple, NYU, they are all fairly accepting of international students. The ones you applied to were fine (Pitt is a little bit of a reach), just your DAT pretty much hurt your chances. The improved score should help. I would get your apps in ASAP when the cycle opens.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the list :)

Last edited:
I am looking to reapply for this cycle. Is it better to submit early in June with my 2023 CDAT scores or retake the CDAT and/or US DAT in mid July/ early Aug for improved scores? Would appreciate it if anyone knows whether taking the US DAT can increase my chances at US schools that accept the CDAT or whether an improved CDAT is good enough?

Please, if any Canadian accepted to US schools can share your CDAT and/or USDAT stats?

CDAT:
2021: RC 20 Bio 16 GC 20 TS 18 AA 19 PAT 18
2023: RC 20 Bio 20 GC 23 TS 21 AA 21 PAT 18

Overall GPA: 3.73
Science GPA: 3.77
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.79
If you haven't been in contact with UBC, I would hope you can. It helps getting a higher TS/AA, but the PAT staying level... I don't know. If you retake, you need to significantly improve: as it stands, you didn't.

Look up and check on your north/south border schools. UDM, Case, Buffalo, Creighton, Marquette, NYU, Boston, Tufts, Touro, Temple... whatever the DSE says there are Canadian matriculants.