Apply now or wait??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Manny's Mangoes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently took my mcat on July 24 and an currently looking for a job as an emt or scribe. I'm confident I'll be hired by the end of next week but I'm not sure if I should submit my amcas right now or wait until I have a job so I can put it in my amcas.

Main reason I want to wait for the job is because it's been 4 years since I graduated and I haven't done much that is strictly medically related.

Please advise me. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Are you willing/able to wait a year (since you'll have a year of experience by the next cycle which I have to assume is much more beneficial)?

Are you willing/able to wait a year (since you'll have a year of experience by the next cycle which I have to assume is much more beneficial)?
I would really like to apply this year. I know that I'm neither early or late that's why I think I can get it done.

How much will lack of experience at this point hurt me? I have plenty of volunteering and shadowing from undergraduate and for a year after.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what exactly were the volunteering activities that you did during undergrad? And how much shadowing do you have?

I have hospital volunteering and other community service and more than 100 hours of shadowing

If you plan on applying submit your app ASAP and update schools about the job later.

I would really like to apply this year. I know that I'm neither early or late that's why I think I can get it done.

Honestly, if you haven't submitted your primary application at this point, I think your app will be on the late side (assuming ~six weeks to get verified), but I would wait for someone else to confirm this (just another premed here!). If you already have shadowing + clinical volunteering I don't think it makes sense to wait even longer to submit.

If you decide to apply without an MCAT score, only apply to one school you don't care that much about until the score comes back. Start pre-writing secondaries to the schools where your AAMC FL's would predict an interview..

This is actually my plan. My FLs were all over the place but I pretty much know which schools are in my range

Honestly, if you haven't submitted your primary application at this point, I think your app will be on the late side (assuming ~six weeks to get verified), but I would wait for someone else to confirm this (just another premed here!). If you already have shadowing + clinical volunteering I don't think it makes sense to wait even longer to submit.

It seems like the verification time for amcas is roughly 3.5 weeks for this cycle so if I submit now my app will be verified by the time I receive my mcat.

It seems like the verification time for amcas is roughly 3.5 weeks for this cycle so if I submit now my app will be verified by the time I receive my mcat.

Sounds reasonable then. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user