Apply now or wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrPresident

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for PA school. MCPHS PA program has a deadline of Jan 15. If I begin my application NOW and have everything sent out by Dec 15 (at the very latest), will that be adequate time? I already have all of my required shadowing, HCE, etc. done. LOR have agreed to write, just need to physically write. Basically what it comes down to is needing the physical LORs, transcripts, CASPA set up, and the narrative.

If it helps, I most likely will have all of my "stuff" ready to send even before December starts. Dec 15 is just the absolute latest that I would have to send my application.

So... Should I wait? Or if I work diligently to get this done before Dec 15 will there be enough time?

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Conventional wisdom is that applying as early as you can gives you a better shot at getting accepted for the term you are shooting for. The logic is that when a school has more seats to fill, it's better to have them see you first, and also be less picky about handing out seats since they have more on hand. That could be true to varying degrees, but there do seem to be seats to fill all the way up until the end, so why not try. My thoughts are that if you can, it's helpful to throw your hat in the ring so that you get the process down, and can be in top shape for the next round, which I think typically begins in April or May. I believe heavily in performing dry runs so you can clear up unforeseen issues. I don't believe it would hurt you to apply soon, and might even help. The people writing you letters of rec might feel fatigued doing two in a row, but that really shouldn't be any kind of big deal if they are eager to see you succeed. The one time I applied to PA school, I did it as an afterthought, thinking it would be a learning tool for the next application cycle when I felt I would be most prepared. I was surprised that I got several interview invites, which I wasn't expecting.

Conventional wisdom is that applying as early as you can gives you a better shot at getting accepted for the term you are shooting for. The logic is that when a school has more seats to fill, it's better to have them see you first, and also be less picky about handing out seats since they have more on hand. That could be true to varying degrees, but there do seem to be seats to fill all the way up until the end, so why not try. My thoughts are that if you can, it's helpful to throw your hat in the ring so that you get the process down, and can be in top shape for the next round, which I think typically begins in April or May. I believe heavily in performing dry runs so you can clear up unforeseen issues. I don't believe it would hurt you to apply soon, and might even help. The people writing you letters of rec might feel fatigued doing two in a row, but that really shouldn't be any kind of big deal if they are eager to see you succeed. The one time I applied to PA school, I did it as an afterthought, thinking it would be a learning tool for the next application cycle when I felt I would be most prepared. I was surprised that I got several interview invites, which I wasn't expecting.
Thank you for the insight! I know the process is rather lengthy, primarily due to waiting for transcripts and verification. I understand that applying early is typically better for them to be "less picky." With that being said, if I don't get accepted, will that hurt my chances of being accepted into the same school again next time around?

Thanks again.

I've never heard someone give me a good explanation why it would hurt an applicant, but I've heard quite a few reasons why it would help.