Apply to other graduate programs while waiting for vet decisions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

abbielovescats

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as we all know the final deadline for veterinary applications was today. Now that my applications to 8 schools are done and I can only sit and wait I was wondering if I should think about applying to other masters/phd programs to enhance my application if I do not get in this cycle. I had thought about going to grad school this semester but decided to wait and work at a vet clinic instead as this is my first time applying and I graduated college this past semester. I was thinking about animal science related degrees at schools where I want to go to vet school. I am an out of state applicant for all of my schools being that I live in NJ and am feeling quite unsure about my chances. I want to be able to keep bettering my application. Wasn't sure if anyone else was thinking or has done the same?

Members don't see this ad.

I thought about doing this when I applied... then decided not to. I didn't think I could put together a very strong application because everything I had done pointed to vet school. And as I looked around at programs I realized there was nothing I was really interested in studying at that level. It kind of snowballed from there into thinking man, I really don't want to spend the money when I really just want to go to vet school. So my plan was to do file reviews if I wasn't accepted my first cycle and go from there.

Do it if there's something you're really interested in that you could potentially make a career out of by getting a masters or phd. Otherwise, probably not worth it imo.

Reactions: 3 users
Do not do a PhD if you don't actually want to do research.

Agreed with @EngrSC, file reviews are a better option if you're not looking at the MS or PhD as a way to further your career, but just as a way to get into vet school.

Members don't see this ad :)
So as we all know the final deadline for veterinary applications was today. Now that my applications to 8 schools are done and I can only sit and wait I was wondering if I should think about applying to other masters/phd programs to enhance my application if I do not get in this cycle. I had thought about going to grad school this semester but decided to wait and work at a vet clinic instead as this is my first time applying and I graduated college this past semester. I was thinking about animal science related degrees at schools where I want to go to vet school. I am an out of state applicant for all of my schools being that I live in NJ and am feeling quite unsure about my chances. I want to be able to keep bettering my application. Wasn't sure if anyone else was thinking or has done the same?
I think you've gotten some great advice already, but I'll go ahead and add my thoughts too because I did almost apply for a MS program :)

If you're already planning on reapplying next year if you don't get in this cycle, I personally think you would be better off to not apply for any other programs right now. Absolutely do file reviews and get feedback wherever you can, this is the best way to improve your application because you're getting direct insight from the schools about what they would like to see.

When I was considering applying to a Master's program, it was because that year needed to be my last time applying to vet school (at that point in my life at least) and I felt like I needed something more to really create an alternate career path for myself.

Just to jump in, perhaps a little late, but I applied for the first time last Fall, and knowing that my GPA was not the strongest, I did decide to apply for a Master's program. I ended up not getting into any schools, and pursuing the Master's has boosted my GPAs. However, I was already very interested in this Master's program, to begin with, and unless you feel extremely drawn to/interested in a particular program, I would probably advise against it. It is a lot of work and, not to mention, a significant amount of money. Some schools do offer certificate programs though, which would allow you to get a chance to take more specialized courses if you were interested in a specific subject.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for all your replies. Makes me think a bit more. I should have mentioned that I have done 100s of hours of research in undergrad, so I do have an interest in fieldwork/research, but my real desire is vet school. I think I'm just worried about rejection and never getting in, but I'm going to keep improving my vet app at the moment and might do a masters in the future if I don't get in for a while.

Thank you for all your replies. Makes me think a bit more. I should have mentioned that I have done 100s of hours of research in undergrad, so I do have an interest in fieldwork/research, but my real desire is vet school. I think I'm just worried about rejection and never getting in, but I'm going to keep improving my vet app at the moment and might do a masters in the future if I don't get in for a while.
I definitely agree to not do a master's or PhD unless you want one. to add to the convo, I did get my master's before vet school. The big difference is that vet school wasn't my initial plan; I was thinking LVT/PhD, and that changed. My goal is still fieldwork oriented and I see becoming a veterinarian as an extension of my work in wildlife biology. I do think the Master's helped me, but I didn't have a ton of academic evidence that I was interested in science - I studied journalism in undergrad and didn't touch pre-reqs til grad school lol.

So if research comes second to vet school it might be worth it to wait this round to see if you get in. For what it's worth, I wouldn't repeat grad school and I love research. It's an entire thing. it was largely uncomfortable and sometimes miserable, but still worth it for me. If you go for it eventually, loving it is important.

I'll add that if you don't get in, most schools are really great about doing file reviews/interview feedback! If it's something that's offered I would highly recommend taking advantage of it, because that's your chance to hear directly from the admissions team about specific things to improve on. I know this whole process can be tough, hang in there!!

Reactions: 1 user