Applying child psychiatry as IMG in mid-tier university program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phanerothyme

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I was wondering about how widely to apply for child psychiatry positions in the upcoming match cycle. For residency, I applied very widely and got few interviews and barely made it. I realize child is not anywhere near that level, but not sure what a good number of programs to apply to is? I applied to basically all of them for residency, is 30 a reasonable number now, with a mix of upper and mid-tier programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I follow, you "barely made it" but matched at a mid tier university program? That would imply you matched at around the midpoint for psychiatry residencies which is very good for an IMG. If that's the case you are very likely to match with 30 applications to CAP but that seems like a particularly high number to me and I would try and pair it down some. If there are other extenuating factors that you are not detailing in your post it may be a different story.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s hard to gauge numbers, but you’ll likely be turning down interviews with 30 applications.

Most child programs prefer their own known applicants. Let’s take a mid-tier or higher child program with 4 spots per year. They will have years with 6 internal applicants. Those years external interviews will be low and the chance of external applicants matching is about 0%. The same program may have 1 internal applicant the next year. Such a program will be at risk of not filling, and they will potentially interview everyone that applies even if they didn’t complete the application.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm not sure I follow, you "barely made it" but matched at a mid tier university program? That would imply you matched at around the midpoint for psychiatry residencies which is very good for an IMG. If that's the case you are very likely to match with 30 applications to CAP but that seems like a particularly high number to me and I would try and pair it down some. If there are other extenuating factors that you are not detailing in your post it may be a different story.
Thanks for your reply. I should clarify I meant barely in the sense that I had so few interviews the chance of matching was very low. If I hadn't applied as wide as I did I might've been in trouble. It did work out, but I'd like to avoid that stress this time to make sure I have a fair amount of interviews. From what you're saying it does seem like it'll be a lot easier this time around, that's reassuring!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think child psych is that competitive, maybe I would apply to 15-ish max with some safeties? When I applied three years back I knew I wanted to stay local (due to wife's work) so I applied to every program in a 150 mile radius... which ended up being 6 programs total. Went to 6 interviews and ranked 5.

Reactions: 2 users
Some programs told me to my face that "we interview everyone", so i wouldn't stress it so much

Reactions: 1 user
Two years ago I think 60% of child slots filled in the match. That means 40% didn't. We have been foolishly opening child programs like crazy so it will remain a buyer's market for the foreseeable future. If you did fine at an average place, you would have to really mess up to not match. Apply to 15 of variable competitiveness. Interview at 10 - 12 you like and rank as you want them and it should work out.

Reactions: 1 user