Applying for HPSP 3 Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

komondor

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you have not started dental school, can you apply for a 3 year scholarship instead of a 4 year one? Or is it only awarded to first year dental students and those that did not get the 4 year one?

I am thinking of a career in dentistry, but am not sure how my family situation will be. I know there is not be a big difference between a 4 year commitment vs a 3 year commitment, but it is still a difference.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have not started dental school, can you apply for a 3 year scholarship instead of a 4 year one? Or is it only awarded to first year dental students and those that did not get the 4 year one?

I am thinking of a career in dentistry, but am not sure how my family situation will be. I know there is not be a big difference between a 4 year commitment vs a 3 year commitment, but it is still a difference.
The biggest difference is that there are 1/2 as many 3 yr scholarships available than 4 yr in the Army. So if you are applying for a 3 yr you are already handicapping the probability that you will get one of them.

Thanks, I always assumed that the 3 year scholarship is easier since students who don't get the four 4 scholarship are reconsidered for the 3 year scholarship.