Applying for jobs, but on the waitlist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Shouldn't you be advocating for yourself?

Of course you should. Nobody said otherwise. But advocating for yourself is completely different than being deceptive, which is what BeamingLight and one or two others have advocated. Advocating for yourself should not mean being deceptive to your (potential) employer.

I mean, none of this actually relates to the original question, but I think BeamingLight is trying to say that employees should be aware of their rights and advocate for themselves when necessary.

Well. Maybe. But if so, that's not what BeamingLight said. I mean, she (he?) specifically wrote that she wants a shift in thinking to the "employer serving the employee". I think that's a few dozen steps past employees "advocating for themselves" (which is perfectly appropriate).

An employer does NOT exist to serve an employee or vice versa. You are both there to provide something to one another.

Perfectly put.

I would not "piss someone off" and attempt to "write it off" as anything.

And even the way it was written ("if you get in you can just write it off as .....") implies deception. Pretty clear that the intent there is "hey, come up with an excuse now to explain why you didn't tell them", which suggests that you know you should tell them but don't want to.

Anytime you're trying to come up with an excuse ahead of time, that ought to be a big huge red flag that you are about to do the wrong thing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user