applying for jobs & Dr. title

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serotonin

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying for jobs and currently have a Ph.D.

Do you always use the Dr. title when referring to the person (also a Ph.D.) who may possibly hire you, until they tell you otherwise?

I've been communicating via email and phone with a possible boss. I initally used the "Dr. Soandso" title to address the person, but when writing back they consistently signed just their first name. we also spoke on the phone; inititally I called them "Do Soandso," and they used their first name. Also called me by my first name (obviously).

We're still emailing, and the tone is now casual. Given that they've referred to themselves by first name every time we've communicated, do I use their first name now as a greeting line? Or stick with the Dr. title until they explicitly tell me not to? As a student I always used the Dr. title until they told me not to, but I'm not sure if the rules change now that I'm no longer a trainee.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When we are both doctors, then I go to a first name basis pretty quickly, but with the first contact, I always use their title and sometimes mine depending on a variety of factors. The exception is when referring to them with a third party. For example, I would refer to her as Jane in personal conversations but Dr. Goodall when talking to other staff or patients.