Applying For Med School: How Do I Break The News To My Family?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

squintgeek

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had always done very well at school, up until high school anyway. I have a university degree in IT, but it wasn't the best time of my life. I got distracted by financial problems (and more) so I had to extend. Let's just say that I was looked at as a failure for a lot of the things I've done in my early 20s.

I'm 29, I started my own business last year, and although it's taken off alright, like any other startup there are ups and downs. I now feel unchallenged (on a technical level) so I want to apply to med school.

I have absolutely no idea how to break the news to my family (as in my siblings, relatives and parents). I don't think they'll take me seriously but I need their emotional support for this. I know they will give it to me but the challenge is how to convince them that I'm actually serious.

Despite my troubles during my university years, I feel that the important thing was that I didn't give up. It took me a year longer than my peers to complete the course because of these hardships but I didn't give up. I refuse to discredit myself and allow people to believe that I'm some kind of bum.

I've had a relatively playful few years of my life, and it's my time to give back to the community. That's what the rest of my life should be about.

Should I tell my family about my plans before I apply, or should I go ahead and apply and if I am accepted I break the news then?

Members don't see this ad.

I know how you feel. My family always gave me crap about changing my mind, and they were generally right. I didn't tell them when I was taking all my classes. When I finally applied I let my parents know. When I started getting interview offers I told my siblings. The whole time I was taking science classes so it wasn't a big surprise. They still gave me crap here and there about changing my mind and not bring serious, but when I finally got accepted, every single one of them was incredibly supportive and have been ever sense.

So do whatever you feel comfortable with but know that they will be supportive when you need them to be.

I definitely understand where you ar coming from. I think the important thing is you have shown alot of growth and you overcame your situation.
DOn't feel alone, there are many in similiar situation but you are the one that understand your family best. I think you need to think long and hard about whether you want to tell them.

However in my opinion I think you should tell them because the med school processs is tiring and demanding, so you will need their emotional and mental support to get you through it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Telling your friends and family about your desire to apply to medical school won't be easy but once you do it you will feel relieved. Not everyone is going to support your decision to go back to school...at least not right away. Some of your friends may even feel threatened with you desire since they may not be going after their own goals in life.

Once you reveal your intentions of going to medical school to the world you will be pleasantly surprised on the support you will receive. I find this to be especially the case as an older non-traditional student myself.

I really appreciate the empathy and encouragement everyone! I'm so glad that you guys know what it's like and what I'm going through. I remember my university years and having the support of my family was crucial. They are an opinionated bunch but they help me find solutions so I definitely need them.

I finally told a close friend of mine about this decision a few hours ago and he laughed. I was so hurt, and then he realized that I was actually serious. I can expect the same reaction from my family members. This will not be easy.

I had one good friend and my husband who were supportive from the very beginning,...but the less close "acquaintances" and "colleagues" can bring a lot of pessimism to the table. I waited to tell them until I had rocked almost a year of prerequisites, while working full time and volunteering. Even then, it was more like "By the way, I'm applying to medical school next year, I'm extremely excited about finally finding my passion in life and having clear direction".

Having confidence in your choice and a little bit of success under your belt, can make "coming out" a bit easier. Believe me, I understand how terrifying it can seem to walk away from a stable career, but you are going to need a support system, so just have a good response for any negative comments you get, and good luck.

If you aren't married or in a serious relationship with anyone, then yes, I would say you need to tell your family at least, so you can feel you are being supported in your goals. I would stay away from friends and coworkers, though, at least until you are further along in the process or have been accepted somewhere.

You don't need their emotional support. You might want it, but you don't need it. If telling them is going to cause more drama and more stress for you, I'd say don't tell them until you're making final plans to go. Otherwise, just tell them and let them deal with it. Hopefully they'll choose to support you. The bottom line is that at 29 it's 100% your life.

You just started a business last year and now out of the blue with a background in IT you want to go to medical school? I kind of understand why your family doesn't take you seriously.

You just started a business last year and now out of the blue with a background in IT you want to go to medical school? I kind of understand why your family doesn't take you seriously.

:wtf:
------------
If you really want it, share with the important people. And work your @ss off. :)

Even after two years of working full time and school full time and getting straight As, my parents are still pretty worthless when it comes to encouragement. I've pretty much given up on expecting anything from them until I put on a white coat. OTOH, I've got my sister and a huge circle of friends who have been amazing in their support and have even met a lot of strangers through my work who have been great, including a few that want me to keep them informed and such as I progress, so, while I would prefer my parents be behind me as much as others are, I've got the support I need.

I had a similar dilemma deciding on how to tell my family. I'm 27 and have never taken school seriously. I did horrible in high school, I barely made it out. I skipped and fooled around 98% of the time. I was the " he's got so much potential." kid. That's all I ever heard.

Given all that, I knew there was a great potential for my family to not take me seriously. They would never laugh, or jest. It would be more like placating. But I just told them anyways. From my wife all the way to my grandma and every one in between all I've felt is 100% support. Even if they think I'll fail they're keeping it well hidden and giving me a chance. I'm sure they realize that regardless I'll do better with their support.

If your sincere, honest and serious and you present your self as such, you may be surprised how quickly they get behind you. Every one wants a doctor in the family.

Sent from my iPhone

I really appreciate the empathy and encouragement everyone! I'm so glad that you guys know what it's like and what I'm going through. I remember my university years and having the support of my family was crucial. They are an opinionated bunch but they help me find solutions so I definitely need them.

I finally told a close friend of mine about this decision a few hours ago and he laughed. I was so hurt, and then he realized that I was actually serious. I can expect the same reaction from my family members. This will not be easy.

Seriously, if you want this, and you know you want it and it's right for you, who gives a flying buffalo chip what they think. If you feel like you can blow off any disbelief or negativity, fine. Tell them. If you are still testing the water on this thing for yourself, keep it to yourself. Once you feel strong about where you are going, that's when you speak about it--and that's when you tell them as if you are blowing a bubble--you don't care where it lands or pops. It's your path, if is meant to be, not theirs, period.

The business was made official last year (when I quit my day job). Before that, I was juggling 2 jobs because I was passionate about what I did. In no way was I financially struggling. It's come to the point where I feel I've hit the end of the road for this, and I no longer want to do something for the money. I have always been passionate about Science; like I said, it's something I did all throughout high school. I always thought I'd end up doing something in Science.

I want this question answered. When we look back, the only regret we ever really have in life is not doing the things we always wanted to do.

I completely understand it from your perspective; it does seem absurd to a certain degree. But it also makes a lot of sense at the same time, at least to me.

I don't have to let go of IT completely. It's always going to be around for me. In fact, I hope that one day I can provide a resource that will be a combination of my two passions.

If your sincere, honest and serious and you present your self as such, you may be surprised how quickly they get behind you. Every one wants a doctor in the family.

You're right, everyone wants a doctor in the family. So even if my friends and family might think it's a little too late, I bet some of them wish they had the courage to chase after their dreams.

I know they'll be behind me if I can convince them that I'm serious about it. I am hesitating because I feel l've let them down a couple of times before. I don't want to let them down this time. So I do think that the best thing for me to do right now is concentrate on doing what I need to do to get accepted into med school (I have 7 months left before I need to submit my application).

Seriously, if you want this, and you know you want it and it's right for you, who gives a flying buffalo chip what they think. If you feel like you can blow off any disbelief or negativity, fine. Tell them. If you are still testing the water on this thing for yourself, keep it to yourself. Once you feel strong about where you are going, that's when you speak about it--and that's when you tell them as if you are blowing a bubble--you don't care where it lands or pops. It's your path, if is meant to be, not theirs, period.

To be honest with you, I'm only keeping it to myself at the moment because I have a fear of it sounding ridiculous. There are many people in the Science field who end up wanting to be doctors, and it makes sense. But just like the comment made by TriagePreMed - let's not kid ourselves; that's exactly what many people's reactions will be.

While non-trads inspire many out there who wish they had the courage to go after their dreams, others will look at us and see a bunch of confused people who think that 1 person is enough to change the world. In a heartbeat, I believe that it indeed takes only 1 person to change the world. I'm going to be a little bit soppy right now and tell you that I even believe a smile makes that much of a difference. But that's because I'm not a bitter person and I believe we all have our own paths.

We're all taught to go to school, pick a career path, get a degree or two, start a family, and retire. If some of us stray away from that close-minded, "pre-installed" pathway all of a sudden we're weirdos.

To be honest with you, I'm only keeping it to myself at the moment because I have a fear of it sounding ridiculous. There are many people in the Science field who end up wanting to be doctors, and it makes sense. But just like the comment made by TriagePreMed - let's not kid ourselves; that's exactly what many people's reactions will be.

While non-trads inspire many out there who wish they had the courage to go after their dreams, others will look at us and see a bunch of confused people who think that 1 person is enough to change the world. In a heartbeat, I believe that it indeed takes only 1 person to change the world. I'm going to be a little bit soppy right now and tell you that I even believe a smile makes that much of a difference. But that's because I'm not a bitter person and I believe we all have our own paths.

We're all taught to go to school, pick a career path, get a degree or two, start a family, and retire. If some of us stray away from that close-minded, "pre-installed" pathway all of a sudden we're weirdos.

You know, only you know your own situation. So you know what is best. I forgot how old you said you were. I say this b/c as you get a little older, and you have been through fire storms and wars of your own, you just don't let OP's opinions carry so much weight. I mean sage advice and perspectives add up to one thing, and such may well be worth considering. But in general, people will put downer-spins on things--as if you were too daft to have already given their litany of negativities and obstacles serious consideration.

I had some casual friends basically tell me to just get the masters or doctoral in ed and chill, that way we can go on more traveling vacations together. I smiled internally, but they were dead serious. Don't get me wrong. I love traveling. But I don't see that as my purpose for the rest of my life. I mean vacations are nice, but they aren't like mission trips. I have done mission trips. Its a whole other animal. I mean they aren't generally as pleasant, but you feel like you actually accomplished something worthwhile--you actually worked to make some people's lives a little better. Going on them doesn't make you a great person. Also, I say doing them for the high of feeling good about yourself doesn't cut it either. It's just the simple act of giving--paying it forward--doing unto others--whatever you want to call it.

People debate about nursing or medicine being a calling. I am not sure if you can go too far in either direction on it being a calling or not. IDK. Maybe it is so for some, and not so much for others; but those others are still providing a service to people that need it, so it's OK. Like I said. IDK. But I do know that I don't want to be hitting a golf ball around a golf course or running from vaca to vaca for the rest of my life. Also, while I know that I really love teaching, I truly don't feel overwhelmingly compelled to teach nursing full time until retirement. Nothing wrong with doing that. It's just that the idea doesn't speak to me like medicine does.

Over the years I have had to face a hard reality, and believe me, I fought it many times--that is, my purpose of function has leaned more toward being a physician than a nurse. And nursing is great in many ways--at least it can be. And it isn't such a killer as medicine in terms of prepping to get to the point of functioning in the role--although some scenarios are exhausting--beyond draining; but that's something that I think is fairly prevalent in all of healthcare--especially in certain areas.

Good luck to you. You have to do and say what you think is best.

As for me, I don't care what anyone thinks or think they think in the general scheme of things. Am I worthy of a medical school slot? Only time will tell. I will killl myself to get all my ducks in a row--and go from there. If it doesn't happen, like an idiot I will do my best to improve anything that may be needed and apply again, go off shore, whatever. It's only when the energy input outweighs the opportunities that accompany the risks and glaring realities (for example, say w/ serious physical health or something of that nature), that I will scrap it. I say this not because I don't think I can make a great application; but b/c the statistics are what they are, and they are harsh. Budgets and spaces are tight. I have no illusions about that.

So you see, I think this path is so worthwhile and so incredibly demanding--perhaps moreso for some than others--IDK--that I can't waste my time and energy on worrying what other people may think. I think some people don't declare their intensions about medical school b/c of fear of not getting accepted. I means it's definitely a strong possibility. But even with such a situation, I still don't care about what others may say. I don't care about losing face with them. I mean I don't go on bragging about it and then forsake the steps required to get there. My only delays, once convinced of this path, have had to do with critically and terminally ill loved ones and serious family needs. But as I said, I don't go on about it or brag to others about it. They ask me, and I tell them the truth, period. And if something goes wrong, or if somehow I err or am wrong, and persistently so, so what? What is it to them? I should worry what they say with friends in front of the TV or fireplace on a cold winter's night? I don't think so.

Kathryn Schulz, in her book, Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error talks about our extreme negativity on "wrongness." She mentions Don Quixote. An honorable wackadoodle of sorts, whom I have always found intriguing. She writes:

[Don Quixote, who, as both knight errant and utter lunatic, deserves his own special place in the pantheon of wrongology. Although far from home, the knight is hardly in exile, and still less in disgrace. Unlike the juif errant, who is commanded to wander and does so aimlessly and in misery, the knight errant is on a quest: he wanders on purpose and with purpose, as well as with pleasure. He is driven, like all travelers, by curiosity, by the desire to experience something more of the world.]
Schulz, Kathryn (2010-05-25). Being Wrong: Adventures in the Margin of Error (pp. 41-42). Harper Collins, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

So, I figure, at the least let others see me as a lunatic; b/c I feel like Don Quixote. I am "wandering?" down this path with purpose and pleasure. I am driven by both a sense of 'purpose and curiosity'. . . and by 'the desire to experience something more of the world." Also, in this curiosity and quest for experience, I have been privleged to watch other residents and attendings--many--go before me. Thus I perhaps do not have as many unrealistic delusion about the process or what it means to be a physician. I can never say that what I have witnessed over the years is anything close to some rosy path or glory road. I am in their debt for opening up their world to me and showing me many of the harsh realities, and yet, most have still encouraged me to pursue the path.

Whatever the outcome, it is my quest. My very own. And I will not let others destory my aspirations, nor the work invested in them, simply b/c they do not understand it, or b/c it is not their own. Like DQ, I don't care if I sound ridiculous. It's a journey through life that I must pursue my own way to the best of my ability. If for some extraordinary reason it turns out to be a windmill, I am still glad I tilt at it.

Just a view . . .

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing your story jl lin. Being in this forum has inspired me so much. You're right, part of me isn't ready to tell my family about this because I fear that my application will be rejected. I feel like I've been out of the game for so long (I haven't taken an exam in YEARS). That, and the school that I really want to get into has the highest tuition fees.

I'm no longer worried about what my family will think of this. All the comments above has helped me overcome this fear or care. I know that as soon as I announce it they will think I'm just kidding around, but once I've actually shown them my acceptance letter (fingers crossed!) I know they will be behind me 100%.

Just a quick update on this - I finally told my sister. I'm very close with her but I didn't initiate the conversation. We were just talking about our careers and I was just telling her that I'm wondering if I should move into a different direction. She remembered that I quite a while back I mentioned wanting to start med school. It's almost like she was on to me or something because med school isn't something I even repeated to her after I mentioned it back then.

So anyway, she knows about it and she admires me for wanting to take this leap. She told me that she thinks I'm capable of getting in and sticking with it. So the few words of encouragement was really good to hear. I have asked her to keep it to herself for now.