Applying late, any schools to avoid?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkiStallion

Reaction score
Hi guys, I was originally an all-MD applicant but have decided to apply to just a few DO schools. My current list was western (Pamona), RVU Colorado, Touro in NorCal, and Noorda.

I heard some schools have accrediting issues, some are for-profit, etc. I’m new to the DO world so any advice is highly appreciated.

For context I’m a CA resident and being somewhere where I can ski is important to me.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your cGPA and sGPA ? What are your MCAT scores ? Any physician shadowing or clinical volunteering hours ?
cGPA 3.84, sGPA 3.82, MCAT 514. 2000 clinical hours, shadowing about 70 hours, volunteering low about 120 hours. Research 500 hours. Unique extra curriculars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Noorda is anew school so you could remove that one. Unfortunately, most DO schools are in the South or Midwest so nowhere near skiing. You could add TUNCOM, AZCOM, UNECOM, RVU-Utah.

777 u m vHi guys, I was originally an all-MD applicant but have decided to apply to just a few DO schools. My current list was western (Pamona), RVU Colorado, Touro in NorCal, and Noorda.

I heard some schools have accrediting issues, some are for-profit, etc. I’m new to the DO world so any advice is highly appreciated.

For context I’m a CA resident and being somewhere where I can ski is important to me.
I cannot recommend those schools that have yet to graduate a class, nor LMU, ICOM ARCOM, RVU, LUCOM, CHSU

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Did you note the nor in the sentence?
Well, you also said ICOM twice, so I assumed it was a typo. Any specific reason? Match was great, board scores are great, great reviews from preceptors.

Well, you also said ICOM twice, so I assumed it was a typo. Any specific reason? Match was great, board scores are great, great reviews from preceptors.
copy and pasted from Goro's guide to the process, will let him elaborate

ICOM: Not recommended due to the apparent dishonesty they had in setting up their school that poisoned the relations with hospitals in Idaho and/or the Idaho Medical Association. In addition, most of their rotation sites are very far away from the school. This raises the risk that the rotations are not adequately supervised, and preceptors are not fully trained in teaching. And they have the nerve to give you only 48 hours to decide upon submitting a $1500 deposit!

Many thanks for catching the typo.

I can't recommend for-profit schools simply for ethical reasons. When your first obligations are to stock holders, something else takes second place. I'm not going to budge on this.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many thanks for catching the typo.

I can't recommend for-profit schools simply for ethical reasons. When your first obligations are to stock holders, something else takes second place. I'm not going to budge on this.

I suppose I agree overall that a for-profit raises hairs - but to your other points that the poster showed me, we did not soil relations with the IMA. The rotation sites are far away because of regional interest and Idaho is simply rural (Boise is the only large city within several hours). As for the preceptors, this isn't true and I'm not sure where you've pulled this from. I'm not saying my school is perfect; it doesn't deserve these criticisms. I could absolutely message you privately about this and can speak with our admissions and admin to give you evidence to the contrary if you so wish.

I think your list is fine, just make sure that if you are not accepted to a MD school this cycle and you do end up getting accepted to a DO school you actually end up attending the DO school for the following school year.

No point in going through this process if you'd rather take another shot at the cycle next year rather than attending a DO school. Best of luck in this process.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I suppose I agree overall that a for-profit raises hairs - but to your other points that the poster showed me, we did not soil relations with the IMA. The rotation sites are far away because of regional interest and Idaho is simply rural (Boise is the only large city within several hours). As for the preceptors, this isn't true and I'm not sure where you've pulled this from. I'm not saying my school is perfect; it doesn't deserve these criticisms. I could absolutely message you privately about this and can speak with our admissions and admin to give you evidence to the contrary if you so wish.
I agree with @Goro about for profit schools, in general. Avoid them. I had a family member graduate from a For Profit Law school with good grades and a member of a national award winning school Moot Court team. They have been unable to pass the State Bar Exam after multiple attempts. For Profit schools seek" Profit", not results. Plenty of desperate low stat students to prey on.

• Sad
I will just throw this out there--your stats are definitely higher than "normal" for DO schools. If you're not getting MD interviews then you need to be REALLY SURE that you are ready to "settle" for DO rather than correct whatever deficiency you have in your application.

Basically... please don't be that person in the spring who asks "Should I decline my DO acceptance and reapply MD?" If you decide to apply DO then be sure that you will be happy with getting in at one of those schools.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
I will just throw this out there--your stats are definitely higher than "normal" for DO schools. If you're not getting MD interviews then you need to be REALLY SURE that you are ready to "settle" for DO rather than correct whatever deficiency you have in your application.

Basically... please don't be that person in the spring who asks "Should I decline my DO acceptance and reapply MD?" If you decide to apply DO then be sure that you will be happy with getting in at one of those schools.
I'm ready to "settle" for only a few DO schools that match what I want in a school which is why I only picked 4. At the end of the day, I just want to be a doctor.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I agree with @Goro about for profit schools, in general. Avoid them. I had a family member graduate from a For Profit Law school with good grades and a member of a national award winning school Moot Court team. They have been unable to pass the State Bar Exam after multiple attempts. For Profit schools seek" Profit", not results. Plenty of desperate low stat students to prey on.
RVU seems to be the only for-profit school that I'm interested in purely because of location, lifestyle, and student life I really would enjoy. They had a pretty decent match list, passing rates, etc. Anything about RVU-Colorado specifically that I should be concerned about?

I would not settle for any DO school with your stats unless you have some major red flag in your app that you're not sharing (DUI, Academic Misconduct, etc). If you just want to be a doctor, drop your close to skiing prerequisite and apply more broadly.

RVU seems to be the only for-profit school that I'm interested in purely because of location, lifestyle, and student life I really would enjoy. They had a pretty decent match list, passing rates, etc. Anything about RVU-Colorado specifically that I should be concerned about?
Not specifically. Just know for profits are a different animal.

Agreed with posters above, I would not apply to rocky mountain oyster university.

• Haha
and not a single answer to OP's question. welcome to internet forums where everything gets derailed. lol

i applied early Oct so I was a little concern abt this too. what I did was looked at deadlines. sorry i can't be more help

While I agree on paper, the school will still lose accreditation if they have attrition above the norm or scores below the requirement. It is a profitable business but so is all sides of medicine. Even MD schools make profits even if they're labeled "Non profit"

I think you are confusing what I'm saying. My problem with for profits, especially in the example I gave, is that they really aren't all that concerned with students success. Class attrition, failed boards,students not matching, etc.. many students will graduate and move on. But, remember, there are alao many desperate pre meds, or pre laws in my case, out there for them to take advantage of. They have investors who get paid first. Whether you match a residency or not is a lesser concern.

• Love
I think you are confusing what I'm saying. My problem with for profits, especially in the example I gave, is that they really aren't all that concerned with students success. Class attrition, failed boards,students not matching, etc.. many students will graduate and move on. But, remember, there are alao many desperate pre meds, or pre laws in my case, out there for them to take advantage of. They have investors who get paid first. Whether you match a residency or not is a lesser concern.
But why would non profits care more?

Reactions: 3 users
Because their mission is to train good doctors, not put butts in seats to pay dividends to investors.
I just dont believe that. Why else would all these new schools be opening? To train good doctors? Obviously not, they are further contributing to a big problem. Its all about money for for-profit or for non profit. Maybe its not in the form on dividends to investors but people are getting paid.

I never said traditional.med schools don't take in money. There is a difference in mission, and that mission is different for non profits and for profits. For profits pay shareholders if there are profits. After paying shareholders, and if money is left over, then it gets put in to schools. Non profits aren't allowed to have profits, hence rhe name, and monies left over are called retained earnings, which can be put back into the school with no investors to pay. Theoretically, there should be more money invested back into the school for non profits. I have a problem with for profits as per the example I listed earlier.
Many students will survive in the for profit model, I'm sure. Tuition will be higher, gotta pay the investors, and their will be more interest in the bottom line than the success of the student. I would personally avoid them as I already believe the ROI for the more expensive med schools is not worth it, especially with the corporatization of medicine.

• Love

"Class attrition, failed boards,students not matching"

Can you put some stats regarding these parameters of RVU? They are in existence for quite a white. There should be plenty of stats to support your assertion, right?

"Class attrition, failed boards,students not matching"

Can you put some stats regarding these parameters of RVU? They are in existence for quite a white. There should be plenty of stats to support your assertion, right?
Read the rest of my comments. You'll understand my why I feel the way I do.

Read the rest of my comments. You'll understand my why I feel the way I do.

By paying the investors first if this school is occupying the top place among ALL DO schools, then more power to their model.

I don't think a bunch of desperate pre-meds can pull these outcomes.

Lecom has identical stats and does it for about 100k less over 4 years. So do many DO schools. PCOM is about 20k a year cheaper. CCOM is about 15k a yr more expensive. All with good match lists. Life is full of choices. If you have the resources to pay the For Profit tax,( higher tuition to pay investors), then go for the bigger student loan payment. Attrition numbers for individual schools are very difficult to obtain. Once again, I explained my objections to attending a for profit school earlier.

I'm ready to "settle" for only a few DO schools that match what I want in a school which is why I only picked 4. At the end of the day, I just want to be a doctor.

Well, a skiing Dr ;) / med student.

There is a ski resort near VCOM in blacksburg, though I'm now realizing this is from last year

edit: looks like it's at least three hours away, but not terrible for a weekend trip, at least if you carpool so you can study haha.

Last edited: