Applying now, but Organic Chem concern.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kelly11

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all! I'm a Texas resident who is applying this cycle! My overall GPA is a 3.7, with a 32 on the old MCAT. Organic chemistry was my hardest subject by far, and I had a rough sophomore semester, which led to me failing Orgo 2. I retook it and still only got a B. The first time was because I was in no condition to be taking that class due to external circumstances. The second time I tried as best I could. So...apart from that everything is fine concerning science grades. I got a B in a physics lab, but the rest were all A/A-. Obviously my sGPA took a hit. Do you think I have somewhat of a chance at MD Texas schools (I'm already applying to North Texas DO school), or even non Texas schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all! I'm a Texas resident who is applying this cycle! My overall GPA is a 3.7, with a 32 on the old MCAT. Organic chemistry was my hardest subject by far, and I had a rough sophomore semester, which led to me failing Orgo 2. I retook it and still only got a B. The first time was because I was in no condition to be taking that class due to external circumstances. The second time I tried as best I could. So...apart from that everything is fine concerning science grades. I got a B in a physics lab, but the rest were all A/A-. Obviously my sGPA took a hit. Do you think I have somewhat of a chance at MD Texas schools (I'm already applying to North Texas DO school), or even non Texas schools? Thanks!

Should be ok as long as you're factoring in that F as a 0.0 and the B as a 3.0 in your AMCAS GPA. Make sure you factor in both of them as MD schools do not replace grades.

Do you think I still have a chance of getting into an allopathic school though? My MCAT is okay but not stellar.

Members don't see this ad :)