Applying this weekend--hopefully

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mask667

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I haven't yet applied to dental schools yet, and am planning on getting in fall 2007. Will be taking the DAT October 17th. I intend to hand in the application by Sept. 30th or October 1st. These are schools I know I want to apply to:

Case Western
Penn State
Pittsburgh
Temple
Arizona
Crieghton (did I spell that correctly)
UNC
Alabama
Louisville
Kentucky
Marquette
Connecticut

Do you guys suggest not applying to some of them at this point, if so why?
Also, do you guys suggest adding schools to this?

I am involved with school and the community and my GPA at this point is pretty competitive. Just a little scared about this test though.

Thank you,

Mask667

Members don't see this ad.

i would not apply to penn state, namely because penn state does not have a dental school.

i would however apply to university of pennsylvania, which is not penn state. big difference-one is public and the other is private. id suggest doing some research on your schools before you go to interviews.

case is already handing out interviews for alternate spots so unless you are a 4.0 30/30 dat you might want to think about it

Members don't see this ad :)
If you would be considered out-of-state for UNC then I'd be very careful of applying unless you have a VERY high GPA and an amazing DAT score. They tend to interview all OOS people first and that interview date was a week or so ago. Also, UNC has a very long supplemental application so your time might be better spent on other apps. Just a thought.

Penn is definately not Penn State -- I haven't heard that mistake since I was applying to undergrad... How much research have you done on these schools? Why this specific list? Do they sound pretty?

I wouldn't bother with Case - they're booked
Also, depending on which state you're from I would consider removing some of your out-of-state schools -- I think alabama only accepts around 1-2 out-of-staters.

You should also consider applying to NYU or BU. Look them up.

Sorry, I realize its not penn state, it UPenn. I picked those school based on the reference book from ADEA. I am from North Carolina (should've mentioned that). So you guys suggest not applying to Alabama huh? I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I asked them to send my scores to them once I have taken it. Is there anyway to change the schools after you have paid and everything? Thank you for all of your input.

Mask667

Still applying to Case, there just something about it.

Sorry, I realize its not penn state, it UPenn. I picked those school based on the reference book from ADEA. I am from North Carolina (should've mentioned that). So you guys suggest not applying to Alabama huh? I haven't taken the DAT yet, but I asked them to send my scores to them once I have taken it. Is there anyway to change the schools after you have paid and everything? Thank you for all of your input.

Mask667

Still applying to Case, there just something about it.

Hey Mask,

I think it would be in your best interest to apply to some schools with bigger class sizes, or are popular for being slightly less competitive namely NYU, BU and maybe USC. You could go ahead and apply to Case, but be forewarned, by the time they get your application, they may have already passed out all their alternate list interviews as well. the woman told me they send out about 300 interviews including both primary and alternate list...and since there are about a million competitive applicants in front of you in the application process...you may want to reconsider. btw, its CrEighton :).

I wouldn't apply to case or some state schools if I were you.
Like everyone said, case is all booked.

I applied in mid Sept last year and took my DAT first week in October. Almost everywhere said I was way too late since they didn't get my app until nov/dec. I have slightly better than average stats. Sorry, looks like you missed the boat.

Save your money until next cycle, you are foolish to apply so late!

Sorry tough love:love:

Yeah there is always next year. A late applicant has his application in June 30th

I agree. You should apply next cycle to ease off some of the ) but it is kind of late now. You might want to consider NYU or NOVA. Oh and if you meant UPenn by Penn state don't bother unless you're truly the best applicant out there.

i agree, save your money for next cycle. It is bit too late now.

are all your recommendation letters in? if not, they take a very long time to get processed. Even if you have the best stats out there, your chances are so slim now because of timing. save your money man.

Members don't see this ad :)
plus taking the DAT in october doesn't help at all. it would have been different if you had already taken the DAT.

I hate to beat a dead horse but it sounds like you are a longshot based mostly on the lateness of your applcation more than anything else. I agree with the NYU, BU, USC, and Nova at a minimum. Based on where you are in the cycle, it seems reasonable to focus on class size and where people would take as a second choice school if they had the choice. You would be betting on scooping a place after someone else turns them down. Of course, your overall application will need to be strong as well.

While i agree with the last few posts, if you want to take the shot then i say go for it. My friend applied applied the beginning of august (which i know is not late september) and she had her interview for NYU September 15 (a ridiculously fast response) and has another for case (though its in march). My other friend is a D1 student at UMich, and she applied mid-september with relatively competitive scores (but not insane like a lot of sdners). I advise you to keep in mind that you'll probably need some luck as well as competitive stats to make your time worthwhile.

I guess the only thing to do now is to pray. I will do that. Man, reality has hit me and this really sux because I was hoping to have the next summer off. I have never really taken a summer off after high school. I took college right after high school, kinda burnt out. So lets say I don't get anywhere, what would be y'all suggesstion? I really don't wanna do undergraduate for another year.

Mask667

If you arent going to be graduating in May 07 then I definitely wouldnt waste my time. Finish your degree first then apply to d-school. Not many people get in after 3 years anymore especially with the competition going down this year

If you are URM then apply to Howard and Meharry. If you want to keep going to school I'd say go for a MS in Biomedicalsciences or something similar and apply next year. Otherwise, take the year off from school but find something to do that is dental - such as work in a lab or be a dental assistant.

I'm going to disagree...don't totally blow off this year's cycle. Just be smarter.

If you don't care what school you go to for dental school, then apply now, but apply only to a few schools you know are not filling up right now. It won't cost a ton of money to only apply to a few schools, and you never know if you might be one of the lucky ones who gets in cause your DATs are in the upper 20s.

From your list I would say...

NO Case Western
NO UPenn
TRY Pittsburgh
NO Temple
NO Arizona
TRY Crieghton (did I spell that correctly)
TRY UNC
NO Alabama
NO Louisville
? Kentucky
? Marquette
NO Connecticut

you might also try USC and NYU both of which tend to interview potential applicants way late into the cycles.

It's up to you, but you just have to think more about which schools. You also should consider your options when your DAt scores come out...they could make or break your ability to get accepted in this cycle...even if you do apply later.

s o . . . mark667...are you appling for this cycle? :)

my 2 cents:

the outlook is grim, even for UNC. i know of a woman who sent in her aadsas last yr. in august and got interviewed at UNC in jan. (the last interview date). she was placed on the alternate list (even with her high stats) b/c of how "late" she applied. she did get in at UNC but she called and called and met with the dean and other people several times over the spring months to get in, which was interesting. she was hell bent on getting in!!!

so, i guess my point is that it is late, even at UNC. i agree that it is a total waste to apply to most of the schools you have listed, if not all of them. call the schools if you are wondering if you have a shot of being considered.

i would recommend studying all spring for the dat (low stress studying since you will have a number of months), get all of your LOR's ready this spring and be the person who submits their COMPLETED aadsas the first day of the new cycle in mid-may. have your transcripts in the mail to aadsas, LOR's completed and ready to be mailed out by your evaluators as soon as you can submit them, and your dat done.

there are a lot of options for the next year while you wait and interview: research, volunteer work, working in a dental office, etc.

Thank you guys for your input. I will still be applying this year--motivation being that I might get in. I am graduating this year, although it is my last year--am I at an advantage or disadvantage or niether? If at advantage where should I mention that in the application? Whats URM (minority?), I am a Pakistani, i dunno if that counts.

Thank you,

Mask667

Thank you guys for your input. I will still be applying this year--motivation being that I might get in. I am graduating this year, although it is my last year--am I at an advantage or disadvantage or niether? If at advantage where should I mention that in the application? Whats URM (minority?), I am a Pakistani, i dunno if that counts.

Thank you,

Mask667

Hey, don't worry. I m in the same boat as u r. I just submitted my application today. I think Pakistani are asian, so considered minorities, but I am not sure about this. And there is no section in the aadsas asking u about minority, I think only ADA webpage asks u for this when u sign up for dat. gdluck for ur dat...

Look, I disagree with everyone else saying that it's "way too late"... someone even gave an example of a friend applying in august as "late"... est BS.

The fact of the matter is, your chances go down the later you apply because it's a rolling admissions process. People are still accepted to some schools through March -- just not as many as those who interview before Dec 1. I know someone who applied in Dec last year and just started up at Buffalo. It's doable.

My list, in your situation would be:

UNC (instate -- check their deadline though)
NYU (large class and interviews late)
BU
USC
Penn
Pittsburgh
Temple
Creighton
Marquette
~and any out-of-state school you really like

Last year, the rush of applicants was at the beginning of september so you DEFINATELY haven't missed the boat -- but you're cutting it close. Good luck, though!

Mack

Thank you soo much, mackchops, I am feeling a little better--not that the other posters are wrong, but I was feeling a little down after I heard that I was too late. I think I am gonna call up some of those universities and find out what I should do.

Thank you all,

Mask667

So anyway, I called Case they told me that if I do apply, they can only give me an interview to be waitlisted. Called Arizona and UPenn, but they kinda made me feel stupid in that they just said the deadline is not until so and so, therefore I will be considered.

Mask667

Apply. I know people who have been accepted that applied after the first of the year. Good things can happen....

Look, I disagree with everyone else saying that it's "way too late"... someone even gave an example of a friend applying in august as "late"... est BS.

The fact of the matter is, your chances go down the later you apply because it's a rolling admissions process. People are still accepted to some schools through March -- just not as many as those who interview before Dec 1. I know someone who applied in Dec last year and just started up at Buffalo. It's doable.

My list, in your situation would be:

UNC (instate -- check their deadline though)
NYU (large class and interviews late)
BU
USC
Penn
Pittsburgh
Temple
Creighton
Marquette
~and any out-of-state school you really like

Last year, the rush of applicants was at the beginning of september so you DEFINATELY haven't missed the boat -- but you're cutting it close. Good luck, though!

Mack

look... there needs to be clarification. it is "late" when you consider that the OP hasn't TAKEN the dat and aadsas will take probably 6 weeks to mail out the app. so only schools that actually check the online app. are going to get his app. only 1 of the 7 schools i applied to actually checked my online app. the others watied for the hard copy. so it took like 8 weeks for them to get my acutal app. (6 weeks for aadasa to get it in the mail and then another 2 weeks in the mail - don't know what mail carrier aadsas is using, but it took that long), so by the time the schools actually get the OP's app. it will be "late"

i'm not saying there isn't hope but the OP should go into this with their eyes open before spending a lot of money!!!

case is already handing out interviews for alternate spots so unless you are a 4.0 30/30 dat you might want to think about it

you are soooo wrong

it sounds like you want to discourage people from applying

you are soooo wrong

it sounds like you want to discourage people from applying

he is absolutely right..plus looks like you can't read that op actually called case and that is exactly what they told him as well

he is absolutely right..plus looks like you can't read that op actually called case and that is exactly what they told him as well

I made a similar post about this in another thread, and you quoted it and said "good post". It is you who cannot think straight.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=321678 (post 13-14)

You're right, you will be an alternate. BUT, you don't need a 30 DAT and a 4.0 GPA to eventually get in, that's what I was commenting on.

Don't you guys know that many people will be saying NO to their invitation to Case? It's simple. People get in in Jan/Feb and as late as March. It's the truth. I've seen it happen twice last year. And like I said, they didn't have stellar numbers. People with 30 DAT and 4.0s are not STUPID enough to go to CASE, they go to Harvard and Columbia and Penn State (hahahha)

someone in my class didnt take the dat until xmas break last year and hes in. so of course it depends on your stats and no one here can really tell you much of your odds w/o knowing them. compare your stats to those on predents.com or other peoples profiles to see if you feel you match up. its not too late at all if you are a competitive applicant, i know plenty of people who didnt apply til september and october last year.

I made a similar post about this in another thread, and you quoted it and said "good post". It is you who cannot think straight.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=321678 (post 13-14)

You're right, you will be an alternate. BUT, you don't need a 30 DAT and a 4.0 GPA to eventually get in, that's what I was commenting on.

Don't you guys know that many people will be saying NO to their invitation to Case? It's simple. People get in in Jan/Feb and as late as March. It's the truth. I've seen it happen twice last year. And like I said, they didn't have stellar numbers. People with 30 DAT and 4.0s are not STUPID enough to go to CASE, they go to Harvard and Columbia and Penn State (hahahha)

whoa whoa relax bro. the 4.0 and 30 dat score was used for rhetorical effect. The OP just needs to know what he is up against...which is about a million (again...this is rhetorical effect...i don't actually mean there are 1 million other applicants..) other competitive applicants sitting at Case right now waiting for an alternative invite. Again, from the admission committee, they only pass out about 300-350 invites, which includes both primary and alternative... so yea, unless you can turn their head with some amazing stats, i think the prior posters were pretty dead on. no one is stopping the OP from applying, this is just an opinion with some vaild reasoning...whereas your logic about knowing three people from last year who applied in jan...is cool to. you just have to realize Case this year is different from Case last year.

PS: Busdent agreed with you quite a few days ago...and after newfound info (the poster calling the school and getting the same feedback...), his position changed. things of yesterday do not apply today...wouldnt you agree? so who is not thinking "straight"?

I saw people already have Creighton interviews. Is it too late to apply there?

whoa whoa relax bro. the 4.0 and 30 dat score was used for rhetorical effect. The OP just needs to know what he is up against...which is about a million (again...this is rhetorical effect...i don't actually mean there are 1 million other applicants..) other competitive applicants sitting at Case right now waiting for an alternative invite. Again, from the admission committee, they only pass out about 300-350 invites, which includes both primary and alternative... so yea, unless you can turn their head with some amazing stats, i think the prior posters were pretty dead on. no one is stopping the OP from applying, this is just an opinion with some vaild reasoning...whereas your logic about knowing three people from last year who applied in jan...is cool to. you just have to realize Case this year is different from Case last year.

PS: Busdent agreed with you quite a few days ago...and after newfound info (the poster calling the school and getting the same feedback...), his position changed. things of yesterday do not apply today...wouldnt you agree? so who is not thinking "straight"?

good post. i was afraid to get in the middle of the mud slinging ;)

Hey guys,

Sorry you kinda had a fight, I just wanted opinions. Anyway, I talked to the UNC recruiter, he looked at my essay and liked it and said I was cutting it close, and might get an interview in January. But he also mention that it comes down to the one thing that I haven't done---the dreaded DAT. By the way this recruiter was awesome, and his presentation was so fascinating.

Thank you all for your input,

Mask667

Hey guys,

Sorry you kinda had a fight, I just wanted opinions. Anyway, I talked to the UNC recruiter, he looked at my essay and liked it and said I was cutting it close, and might get an interview in January. But he also mention that it comes down to the one thing that I haven't done---the dreaded DAT. By the way this recruiter was awesome, and his presentation was so fascinating.

Mask667

gl bro :thumbup:

Hey guys,

Mask667

I'm glad you're contacting schools. That's the best thing you can be doing right now. Take their advice for what it is and consider the advice given on an anonymous message board with a grain of salt.

Good luck! I wish I applied to UNC.