Applying to both MD/DO...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO only?

• DO only

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • MD only

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • DO & MD

Votes: 48 73.8%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

rasajdak

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Where are you guys applying?

Critical Thinking:
And Why?

See poll.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to both. The schools that I applied to I chose based on location alone. Because I have a family, that was my primary consideration about where I wanted to attend.:)

I applied to both. The schools that I applied to I chose based on location alone. Because I have a family, that was my primary consideration about where I wanted to attend.:)

I hear ya... minus the whole family part, but I plan on applying to the four SUNY MD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear ya... minus the whole family part, but I plan on applying to the four SUNY MD schools.

I only applied to Upstate and Buffalo. (I didn't have a chance in h#ll for either one, but I applied anyway.:rolleyes: :smuggrin: ) I tried to avoid schools too close to the city because of the COL down there. I did apply and interview at NYCOM, but that was at the persuasion of my father who grew up on LI. I withdrew after my interview there though....WAAAY TOO EXPENSIVE to have a family down there. COL in TN is fabulous. Very family friendly place.:D :thumbup:

If you are instate, the tuition at the SUNY schools is really good. :)

LOL! Just saw your avatar and I see you are in Buffalo. That would make you instate.:laugh: :p

I voted DO-only. I have no interest in attending an allopathic medical school. I want OMT in my repertoire.

What could possibly be the "other" option...(DDS, PA...along with MD/DO). As for myself I applied to both. Initially having no idea how the process works, I applied to 20 schools and basically received like 20 secondaries, so from there on I only returned secondaries to 4 schools (yeah, kinda wasted the money), I based my decision on my comfort/location of the school (Midwest area), and after having been rejected by my top 2 schools, I ended up choosing my 3rd choice which I am completely happy with. It's not cut and dry MD or DO (or else I would have returned all my MD secondaries first) but which schools fit me the best (This includes curriculum, matchlists, pass rates..etc)

only D.O. - I like their philosophy and want to learn OMM.

I applied to both. Finished 6 DO and 2 MD secondaries. I was accepted to all of them but happened to get an acceptance at my state MD school (I WILL BE ATTENDING THIS SCHOOL - CAN'T BEAT THE CHEAP TUITION). If I wouldn't have been accpted at my state MD I would have been attending either AZCOM or OSUCOM this fall. DOs are great. I had the greatest time shadowing a few. It will be great to have 'em as colleagues. Good Luck All!!!:thumbup:

DO only, reasons in no particular order:

1. Competitive but collaborative spirit amongst students.
2. The history of the philosophy and that the philosophy is still alive and well and has been affecting mainstream medicine for years now (one mans opinion?)
3. I want to learn OMM inside out, residency, the whole sheebang.
4. Top notch education ( P C O M, baby)
5. I've got a spanish research paper to write, but when I come back, I'll give you 5-10... unless I forget? But DO ALL THE WAY!!

keep fooling yourself. Just admit it...

some people do apply only DO aresenal (go Man U!...lol). I think the only people who are fooling themselves are those that apply to "MD" schools as a back-up, but for those who apply DO only or MD/DO, there is no reason to past judgement. I don't see the reason for lying..it's an anonymous internet forum...:laugh:

some people do apply only DO aresenal (go Man U!...lol). I think the only people who are fooling themselves are those that apply to "MD" schools as a back-up, but for those who apply DO only or MD/DO, there is no reason to past judgement. I don't see the reason for lying..it's an anonymous internet forum...:laugh:

Anyone but chelski!!!

Is that a typo?

Anyone but chelski!!!

Is that a typo?

I agree with on Chelski, although I cant stand Ronaldo on Man U.

But I have seen some people on SDN say that certain MD schools were their back-up over certain DO schools, although the MD school was significantly harder (mcats/gpa wise) to get accepted. So they knew well that if they were accepted to this MD school, they would most likely get accepted to the DO school. I had my DO school ranked higher than numerous MD schools (for my own personal reasons), so I guess if I actually finished those "MD" applications those schools would technically be my back-up, but those schools were not significantly greater in numbers than the school I will attend. If my schools average mcat is a 27, I am not going to apply to a school with an average mcat of 32 as a back-up.

I agree with on Chelski, although I cant stand Ronaldo on Man U.

But I have seen some people on SDN say that certain MD schools were their back-up over certain DO schools, although the MD school was significantly harder (mcats/gpa wise) to get accepted. So they knew well that if they were accepted to this MD school, they would most likely get accepted to the DO school. I had my DO school ranked higher than numerous MD schools (for my own personal reasons), so I guess if I actually finished those "MD" applications those schools would technically be my back-up, but those schools were not significantly greater in numbers than the school I will attend. If my schools average mcat is a 27, I am not going to apply to a school with an average mcat of 32 as a back-up.
I will be applying to both.....probably 25 MD programs and possibly 8-10 DO programs. The main criteria are cost of attending and cost of living (read as "location"). I see minimal (insignificant) differences between the two types of schools and therefore applying to both simply to increase my chances of getting in somewhere and becoming a quality physician.

I may also be applying to law school as a backup in case I don't get in (with the intention of practicing malpractice defense). I also have an interest in MD/JD or DO/JD (I think there is one of the latter) programs.

I will be applying to both.....probably 25 MD programs and possibly 8-10 DO programs. The main criteria are cost of attending and cost of living (read as "location"). I see minimal (insignificant) differences between the two types of schools and therefore applying to both simply to increase my chances of getting in somewhere and becoming a quality physician.

I may also be applying to law school as a backup in case I don't get in (with the intention of practicing malpractice defense). I also have an interest in MD/JD or DO/JD (I think there is one of the latter) programs.

haha...if you do become MD/JD or DO/JD you can defend yourself in court when you get sued:laugh:...

Paitent: "Your honor I am here to sue Dr. DKM for giving me a pig's heart during the transplant"

(In comes attorney DKM)

DKM: "Your honor, I only gave her the pigs heart b/c I knew she would sue anyway, and by the way did I forget to mention how great your new haircut looks and did you lose some weight..wow you look great"

Judge:"case dismissed!, next please...