Applying to College Questions

tennisgrlcc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I am going to be starting my senior year of high school this year and I am overwhelmed!!:eek: There are so many things to do to apply to college and its all so confusing and overwhelming. So I'm hoping one someone can help me understand the process of applying to universities a little bit more, I've talked to my guidance counselor about it a little, but I'm always just left being more confused, and honestly I get terrified I'm going to forget something or do something wrong and ruin my chances. ok...breather....here's the colleges I want to apply to...
  • University of Texas San Antonio
  • University of Incarnate Word (San Antoni0)
  • Texas Lutheran University
  • Texas State University- San Marcos
  • A&M Corpus Christi
So I know since they are all Texas schools I have to apply through applytexas.org, but I'm just all sort of confused.
I've already taken my SAT and ACT my junior year, but I do not like my scores and am planning on retaking the tests October of this year, which will then have it to where I would get my scores back around December. But when I was at a college tour they said you should start applying around Oct/Nov.....but I won't have my scores....so I'm confused.

So when exactly should I fill out all of the apps online and submit them? How do I send my transcript? In the mail? Do I send it after I apply online? Also, when should I send my letters of rec??
Sorry for the long post. :help:

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, you should send in the applications before the deadline. Don't worry if your ACT/SAT scores are not the best because you can always submit them after you take the tests in October. Some schools have a deadline by December 1st and some are rolling admissions so it really depends on the school... About sending in your transcript, with most schools you can upload it on their online application, and you have to upload it while you're completing your application. Same goes for the LOR because on their applications they should have a place where you can upload that, well actually your teachers would because you have to send them an email and all.. Anyways, hope I helped and you can PM me with any more questions! :)

akram gave some solid advice. Apply as soon as you can. You can always update your application and send in new test scores when you receive them. One thing I would recommend is to be proactive with any schools you know you want to attend. This means e-mailing and calling them with updates and asking them questions about what they are looking for from their applicants. This is something that will show them that you are serious about attending their institution and will also show your maturity as an applicant. At large universities, this probably won't make much difference, but smaller schools will recognize applicants that make an effort to learn more about the school (I know this because I was an admissions ambassador at a small private school).

Questions about how to submit your LORs and especially transcripts should be answered by your high school counselor since they are the ones who will be sending them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha thanks! Trying to do my best..

as far as I know, applytexas.org prompts you through all the needed items. There should also be checklists at each school.

I applied online via ^^ as a transfer student last year, it's pretty simple. Don't stress!

I ran into a similar situation with my ACT scores when I applied to college. The colleges I applied to said that they would accept the new ACT score as long as the retake itself was prior to their application deadline. It didn't matter that I personally did not have the scores back yet. However, I urge you to call or email your admissions counselor at each and every school you are applying to to ensure that this is their policy as well.

You should fill out your applications and submit them as soon as you possibly can.

In regards to transcripts, check with your high school guidance counselor. At my high school, I had to fill out a transcript request form to have an official copy of my transcript sent from the school.

With your letters of recommendation from teachers/guidance counselors, please be sure to request them at least two weeks before your deadline. When you do this, tell your teacher exactly who they are submitting their letters of rec to and how they are doing so(online, mailing, etc.). If you want them to send them via snail mail, give them a stamped envelope addressed with where the letter of recommendation needs to go. Submit these anytime before the college's application deadline.

In most cases, it does not matter if you submit your transcript before or after applying online, as long as you get that transcript in before the deadline.

Good luck to you, OP! Please feel free to PM me anytime if you have any further questions.

Last edited by a moderator: