Applying to med school and residency at the same time.

PsychStudent

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! My husband is going to be applying to residency the same year as I'm applying to med school. Does anyone know the best way to ensure we end up together? I know that I need to apply really early so hubby can rank his list according to where I get in, but at what point do we tell the schools? Also, is there any way he will be able to push me over the edge to admission at schools I'm qualified for, assuming he's a really great applicant?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys! My husband is going to be applying to residency the same year as I'm applying to med school. Does anyone know the best way to ensure we end up together? Thanks so much!

One approach would be to agree that you will only apply to programs within one city. Obviously, you'd have to pick a huge city with many, many options for both, eg Chicago (6 med schools if you are a very-competitive applicant, and an osteopathic program). Unless you go early decision and know where you are going by October 15, he will have ranked his residency preferences for the match long before you are likely to get an admission offer somewhere (Dec thru August).

My husband and I did residency (me) and job (him) at the same time. His job was rare, few places to work and many thought that Feb for a June start was early!
What we did: I applied to 30+ residency spots in the cities where there might be a job. As interview invites came out, we narrowed those down by citiies we were no longer looking at (no job available) and by programs (if 7 in same location and all offered, I chose my favs). Then I canceled some interviews later as well, to make it a manageable number. After all the interviews, I ranked based on my dream (what I want, he follows me), I had him rank my list on his dream (I go where he wants, for job and city to live in) and then I made a reasonable combined list. On rank list day, he had one official offer, one offer pending funding, 2 'no fundings,' so we ranked based on the funded job, then the pending job. We really wnated to stay together but separating for two years or so before he could transfer was also considered.

Maybe you could do soemthing similar? Apply broadly for residency and for med school, knowing that the match gives no choices at the end, and one of you might have to take a "not favorite" or "lower level" to stay together. Also consider if hi residency training will overlap yours once down with med school, and if you should consider your residency options as well? Or just later consider being apart for a year or so, and then consider his options at a fellowship/attending job where you would move to do your residency.

Good luck! It works out if you are both more committed to each other than to your careers- if one is more for the job and one more for each other, there could be resentment done the line.