Applying to med school without a degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GreenBlade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many of you nontrads are considering applying with a degree?

I only have six courses left before I have completed all of the prerequisites.

Background: 5.5 years of military service, 4.0 sGPA, 92 hours completed, 450+ hours of shadowing military physicians, one acknowledgement in a published paper, currently working in an analytical chem lab, two associate degrees, married with a child on the way. Only thing that worries me is that is that 57 hours are from a CC.

Members don't see this ad.

I'd say even with your background, applying without a degree puts you at a serious disadvantage. You can always try, but I think it will be a difficult road. The CC courses may or may not be an issue depending on the school.

Definitely check with your home state public school(s) and other prime targets by first analyzing the admissions FAQs and then making some phone calls.

The MSAR will show you the stats on # of matriculants who have a bachelors, and it's always 99%. You need details on that 1%.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Absolutely finish your degree.

Nearly everyone who is accepted to med school w/o a Bachelors has amazing stats (GPA and MCAT) plus great ECs and went to a top undergrad. In addition, there seems to be fewer and fewer of these applicants accepted each year as more and more schools require a BS/BA.

That being said, you can still apply without having finished your degree (like most traditional college juniors). You'd just have to finish your degree while applying.

Absolutely finish your degree.

That being said, you can still apply without having finished your degree (like most traditional college juniors). You'd just have to finish your degree while applying.
While odds may be against you, I see little risk in applying without your degree in hand. There are three potential outcomes:
1. You're rejected everywhere, and you should complete your degree and re-apply...
2. You get a conditional acceptance that requires you to finish your degree; and you'll have time to do so before matriculating...
3. You're accepted with no conditions attached.

Either way you spin it, there's very little risk applying this cycle. I'm usually a proponent of one taking their time to build the strongest application possible, but aside from you not yet having your undergrad degree, your application seems very strong. Courses taken from a CC all depends on the school(s) you apply to, but I wouldn't worry about them. They should be fine, for most schools anyway.

Reactions: 1 user
First, many thanks for your service to our country. My own school requires a degree from a accredited institution. I believe that you will greatly harm your chances without a degree.

How many of you nontrads are considering applying with a degree?

I only have six courses left before I have completed all of the prerequisites.

Background: 5.5 years of military service, 4.0 sGPA, 92 hours completed, 450+ hours of shadowing military physicians, one acknowledgement in a published paper, currently working in an analytical chem lab, two associate degrees, married with a child on the way. Only thing that worries me is that is that 57 hours are from a CC.