What are my chances? Canadian citizen applying to Canadian Med schools with UK degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sookie456

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

just thought maybe if there was someone out there who has gone through the same thing or has heard of a similar case, and would like their input:

so i am a Canadian citizen and I went to the UK for pharmacy school (faster there) and graduated with an MPharm in 2020 from the UK and came back to Canada, did all my boards and have been practicing for a year now. I want to apply to med school in Canada (states will not be affordable for me) but I don’t even know if my degree will be seen as remotely equivalent to what med school in Canada want. I have reached out and emailed some school and it seems as though i just have to get my WES done and do the MCAT, CASPER the whole shabeel and then just wait it out?? But my question is that there must be another way?? How to know if i need to take prerequisite courses??

I can do the MCAT, CASPER no issues but i just wanted to know everyone’s thoughts on what i should acc do to find out these things. I used the WES quick tool to find out my iGPA and it was a 4.0 so im not really sure how good that thing is lol. But i did get a first in my MPharm degree with honours.

Thank you to all for your input!!

Members don't see this ad.

First, have you reached out to their admissions offices about your situation? I'm not sure how picky they are with taking pre-requisites outside the country or degrees from England. That's always the first place to check.

First, have you reached out to their admissions offices about your situation? I'm not sure how picky they are with taking pre-requisites outside the country or degrees from England. That's always the first place to check.
So I actually have tried to call and also email about 5-6 schools and no response. Even when calling they don’t pick up. And emails r never answered im just passed around from person to person. One school basically seemed like they were saying I just have to apply fully and then wait. and it’s such a unique situation i don’t know many people that have done this.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I actually have tried to call and also email about 5-6 schools and no response. Even when calling they don’t pick up. And emails r never answered im just passed around from person to person. One school basically seemed like they were saying I just have to apply fully and then wait. and it’s such a unique situation i don’t know many people that have done this.
The issue is how to consider your courses. Most schools will require you to take classes in Canada or the US at accredited institutions, so then would they consider a waiver given for education. I would think they have a better idea how to evaluate your b academic history, but your England grades cannot be calculated in an AMCAS application (and guessing the same for OMSAS).

The issue is how to consider your courses. Most schools will require you to take classes in Canada or the US at accredited institutions, so then would they consider a waiver given for education. I would think they have a better idea how to evaluate your b academic history, but your England grades cannot be calculated in an AMCAS application (and guessing the same for OMSAS).
So some schools do have a part on their website Saying I need To get my degree evaluated by WES in Canada, and then send that evaluation to the schools. They will then look at it on a case by case basis? I suppose that is really the only way to do it then. Some schools tell me they do not have any specific prerequisites.

Reactions: 1 user