Applying to residency without Step 2 (US Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bigboi41992

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth applying for the match, if I will have only my step 1 score as soon as eras application open in September? I do plan take it however like in octobrer/november.... Will it even be worth it or should I just apply next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Will you have Step 2CS/CK in before the rank deadline? That's all that matters. I got my CK/CS in end of January and matched fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Will you have Step 2CS/CK in before the rank deadline? That's all that matters. I got my CK/CS in end of January and matched fine.

Thank you for your response. Yes, I will. But, I have heard that programs will not even extend interviews until your step 2 scores are released. And if I take my step 2 in October/November, I feel like programs will already have their interview list already setup since I am technically applying late

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your response. Yes, I will. But, I have heard that programs will not even extend interviews until your step 2 scores are released. And if I take my step 2 in October/November, I feel like programs will already have their interview list already setup since I am technically applying late

Not sure where you heard that. Many (most?) programs extend interviews without Step 2 scores, they just won't rank you without them. If what you're saying is true, I would not have received any interviews and would not have matched.

Reactions: 1 users
Wtf r u talking about OP? Most US students don’t have their step 2 done by September...you need it done by the time you’re gonna get ranked unless you are a foreign grad. How are you a US student but asking about delaying applying to residency because of step 2? Disnt your school teach you this stuff?

Reactions: 2 users
I didn’t have my CK score until November and it definitely hurt me in terms of getting interviews (Step 1 was barely below the mean, and on par with the mean for the specialty I applied to). If you have a strong Step 1 it should be less of an issue, but I disagree that not having a CK score available at least early in the season isn’t an issue. CS on the other hand, you just need to have available before rank lists are due.

Last edited:
Depends on how you did on Step 1.

If you had a strong performance on Step 1 (especially for the specialty you're applying to), you may still get a decent number of interviews from PDs.

“Most” might not be true but it’s definitely a very sizeable minority at least.

As others have said, it is routine practice to submit ERAS without CK on file if you have a good step 1 score.

“Most” might not be true but it’s definitely a very sizeable minority at least.

As others have said, it is routine practice to submit ERAS without CK on file if you have a good step 1 score.
The quoted individual inferred most haven’t taken CK until after September which I would bet my student loan debt against. Score available v. have taken are very different. Also, this is something which is very Step 1/MS1-3 performance dependent and specialty preference dependent. I applied with a Step 1 at the mean for my specialty , as did 2 of my classmates - it was brutal. 2 of the 4 faired better despite similar stats; the main differentiating factor was availablility of CK scores.

Edit - Also, based on your post history you haven’t even applied to residency...so....

Last edited:
The bigger question here is why are you planning on waiting until oct/nov and how did you make it until July before thinking about if it makes sense to apply this year. What’s your step 1 score?

The quoted individual inferred most haven’t taken CK until after September which I would bet my student loan debt against. Score available v. have taken are very different. Also, this is something which is very Step 1/MS1-3 performance dependent and specialty preference dependent. I applied with a Step 1 at the mean for my specialty , as did 2 of my classmates - it was brutal. 2 of the 4 faired better despite similar stats; the main differentiating factor was availablility of CK scores.

Edit - Also, based on your post history you haven’t even applied to residency...so....
You’re talking about a 5-6 week window in terms of before the end of September and on ERAS. It’s not that big of a difference.

I wouldn’t think a mean step 1 score for a specialty could get away with no CK on ERAS. Not sure why you and your classmates did.

Re my post history, are you joking? I recently asked about buying a laptop since I was about to start and I was posting interview days last fall. What do you think the 18 in my name is for?

I didn’t have my CK score until November and it definitely hurt me in terms of getting interviews (Step 1 was barely below the mean, and on par with the mean for the specialty I applied to). If you have a strong Step 1 it should be less of an issue, but I disagree that not having a CK score available at least early in the season isn’t an issue. CS on the other hand, you just need to have available before rank lists are due.

That sounds about right. Just curious given the prevailing ideas about timing of step 2 with subpar step 1, why did you wait?

Members don't see this ad :)
To qualify I did have above average Step 1 score for my specialty but otherwise my application if I'm being honest was pretty lackluster.

You’re talking about a 5-6 week window in terms of before the end of September and on ERAS. It’s not that big of a difference.

I wouldn’t think a mean step 1 score for a specialty could get away with no CK on ERAS. Not sure why you and your classmates did.

Re my post history, are you joking? I recently asked about buying a laptop since I was about to start and I was posting interview days last fall. What do you think the 18 in my name is for?
Sorry, I just double checked your post history and I had to have accidentally hit another user instead (SDN likes to act funny and jump around on pages when I’m on my phone). OP is talking about not taking CK until end of October/early November which is different than taking it in September and not having a score available until end of October/ early November. I fell into the latter due to a LOA for non academic/performance/professionalism/health issues that was well explained in my MSPE (i.e., other than delaying me taking CK the LOA should’ve been a non-factor in regards to me getting interviews). My CK score was available Nov. 1st and I notified all programs I applied to as soon as I got my score. If OP has an above average Step 1 score, comes from a brand name school, or applies to programs where graduates of his/her school are a known product it should be less of an issue.

Last edited:
That sounds about right. Just curious given the prevailing ideas about timing of step 2 with subpar step 1, why did you wait?
Step 1 was on par with the specialty I applied to. LOA (as mentioned in above post it wasn’t for academic, performance, professionalism, health, mental health, or legal issues - if details regarding the LOA really matter other than what I’ve mentioned you can PM me) pushed back my 3rd year into the end of August of my 4th year and my school wouldn’t approve/allow me to register for CK or CS on their end until I finished 3rd year clerkships.

Sorry, I just double checked your post history and I had to have accidentally hit another user instead (SDN likes to act funny and jump around on pages when I’m on my phone). OP is talking about not taking CK until end of October/early November which is different than taking it in September and not having a score available until end of October/ early November. I fell into the latter due to a LOA for non academic/performance/professionalism/health issues that was well explained in my MSPE (i.e., other than delaying me taking CK the LOA should’ve been a non-factor in regards to me getting interviews). My CK score was available Nov. 1st and I notified all programs I applied to as soon as I got my score. If OP has an above average Step 1 score, comes from a brand name school, or applies to programs where graduates of his/her school are a known product it should be less of an issue.
Fair enough. I took CK in mid/late October and got my score early/mid November (it was almost 3 weeks to the day for the turnaround) but I’m MSTP doing path with a 245-250 step 1 so my CK was definitely an after thought. I had already received invites from everywhere I applied and had gone on almost half my interviews before my score even came back.

Step 1 was on par with the specialty I applied to. LOA (as mentioned in above post it wasn’t for academic, performance, professionalism, health, mental health, or legal issues - if details regarding the LOA really matter other than what I’ve mentioned you can PM me) pushed back my 3rd year into the end of August of my 4th year and my school wouldn’t approve/allow me to register for CK or CS on their end until I finished 3rd year clerkships.
Thank you for your honesty. I have a similar situation as you, as I had to delay my step 1 into August, which means my 3rd year will be delayed and I will be completing 3rd year in Sept. And will thus take my ck/cs after Sept and late into the residency app cycle

Some beauty stats (sarcasm). But, need people to be real

Applying to family medicine
Non-US IMG (need visa)
Below average Step 1 score
Without a CK score until late October (CK scheduled for October 2nd). Getting my ECFMG certification probably takes me into early-mid November. Should I apply on the 15th, or wait for a complete application early-mid November? Also, going straight into Step 3, want my score back in January. Would this be beneficial, or too late to even be considered by most programs?

Appreciate some advice :D

I don’t understand how you could not know that you don’t need step 2 to apply, get ranked, or match. My mind is completely blown trying understand that you were seriously contemplating sitting out a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Some beauty stats (sarcasm). But, need people to be real

Applying to family medicine
Non-US IMG (need visa)
Below average Step 1 score
Without a CK score until late October (CK scheduled for October 2nd). Getting my ECFMG certification probably takes me into early-mid November. Should I apply on the 15th, or wait for a complete application early-mid November? Also, going straight into Step 3, want my score back in January. Would this be beneficial, or too late to even be considered by most programs?

Appreciate some advice :D

Below average step 1 and step 2 score not available until near November? That’s a bad combo. Any good reason why you waited so
Long?

Below average step 1 and step 2 score not available until near November? That’s a bad combo. Any good reason why you waited so
Long?

No good reason really, just the time it took me to be prepared. Finished rotations earlier this year, did CS and my countries board exams (Canada), got a job as a physician assistant in the meantime, took my NBME CCSE got 235, now just putting in 4 more weeks in hopes of a 240.

Last edited:
Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but since it's recent I don't want to make another one for similar questions.

I am a DO student, have my step 1 248, COMLEX 1 611, applying IM.
I have recently auditioned at a program, and met with 2 adcom members. Both of them says that I'm in a good position and a STEP 2 can only hurt me, they urged me to not release STEP 2 unless I beat my STEP 1 score percentile wise. This seems to be the opposite of the SDN consensus where you NEED a STEP 2 to look normal...also on FREIDA many programs stated that they require STEP 2..

thoughts?

Sorry to piggyback on this thread, but since it's recent I don't want to make another one for similar questions.

I am a DO student, have my step 1 248, COMLEX 1 611, applying IM.
I have recently auditioned at a program, and met with 2 adcom members. Both of them says that I'm in a good position and a STEP 2 can only hurt me, they urged me to not release STEP 2 unless I beat my STEP 1 score percentile wise. This seems to be the opposite of the SDN consensus where you NEED a STEP 2 to look normal...also on FREIDA many programs stated that they require STEP 2..

thoughts?
The DO thing adds a wrinkle but when I was considering medicine, I was still told that I could delay CK if I wanted to. I think most programs require CK for ranking/matching which didn't used to be the case (i.e. as recently as when my original class applied and one of my friends who did optho aka an early match took CK in December or January.) I still think very few require it for interviews.

Is a 611 equal or better percentile than a 248? I have no idea what the comlex scales are.

The DO thing adds a wrinkle but when I was considering medicine, I was still told that I could delay CK if I wanted to. I think most programs require CK for ranking/matching which didn't used to be the case (i.e. as recently as when my original class applied and one of my friends who did optho aka an early match took CK in December or January.) I still think very few require it for interviews.

Is a 611 equal or better percentile than a 248? I have no idea what the comlex scales are.
yeah 611 and 248 are pretty similar percentile wise (both around 80), I was told that I needed Step 2 before Feb. in order to be put on rank list, I will definitely have my score released by then, as long as they don't require it for interview I'm fine with it.

Took step2 CK October 31st and CS Nov 27th...

Both step1/2 were below average for IM and I matched easily. Two of my classmates matched (IM and EM) without CS. I suspected there were even more. I only knew these two.

Last edited:
Hey guys,
I was taking another year off until I read this. I am grateful to you guys. So, I am an IMG from a European med school. I have a step 1 score of 254. Two neurology electives in the US and 3 LOR. 1 unpublished research project in neuroscience. I’m taking Step 2 CK in August and my results will be back before ERAS opens. However, the closet CS date I could get is on October 16th.Shall I apply to the match without CS and see my chances? Another question, if I applied and got nothing, will that affect my success for a future match?

This is a super long thread and I stopped reading halfway through but all I have to say is I received double-digit interview invitations before receiving either of my step 2 scores.

I believe that if your step 1 score is high enough, programs will assume you'll do at least decently on step 2.

I took step 2 early because of my step 1 score but my school also has a deadline to take step 2 by sept 30th. But, as said before, step 2 isnt needed for interviews, just to be ranked.

any updates regarding your situation?