Are BDUs required during Navy OIS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BOHICA-FIGMO

Belt-fed Physician
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Subject line says it all: are BDUs required during OIS? If not, I can save some room by not packing them and my combat boots. The OIS website is not clear on the matter. Thanks!

P.S. I would have posted this under the OIS "sticky" but I'm hoping for quick replies since I leave Sunday :D Thanks again!

Members don't see this ad.

BOHICA-FIGMO said:
Subject line says it all: are BDUs required during OIS? If not, I can save some room by not packing them and my combat boots. The OIS website is not clear on the matter. Thanks!

P.S. I would have posted this under the OIS "sticky" but I'm hoping for quick replies since I leave Sunday :D Thanks again!

I went in July 2001, and they were not required. We only had to purchase two uniforms (khaki x2 and summer whites) plus PT clothes. I guess that is technically four, but whatever.

My guess, if you tried to bring your own stuff they'll make you buy new anyway. Some people had the poly/cotton khakis, they made us all wear the pure polyester version. Don't worry, they'll start paying you. My suggestions, bring black dress socks that you like.

MTGas2B said:
I went in July 2001, and they were not required. We only had to purchase two uniforms (khaki x2 and summer whites) plus PT clothes. I guess that is technically four, but whatever.

My guess, if you tried to bring your own stuff they'll make you buy new anyway. Some people had the poly/cotton khakis, they made us all wear the pure polyester version. Don't worry, they'll start paying you. My suggestions, bring black dress socks that you like.

Not required. Save the space.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not required. You will be in blue navy coveralls or smurf-suit sweats for a few days, then khakis will become uniform of the day for the remainder of training. Try to get a room overlooking the water if possible...you will see what I mean when you get there!

No I went to OIS this summer and you do not need to bring BDUs or boots. I do recommend bringing 2 pairs of running shoes though. That whole thing about bringing over the counter meds is horse crap. Bring what you need, they do not care. You will have to purchase three sets of PT gear, two pairs of kakis, one set of working whites, one dress blue unifrom, and one dress white uniform. Plus all of the ribbons and devices.