Are B's the new A's in medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
<bow> Studied every waking moment in my SMP and MS1 (I'm told) is harder (let you know come August). I only knew one person who made the volume look easy and I'm sure he spent hours too. Congrats I'm jealous.

All dependent on the SMP and which medical school you go to. My friend was in a post-baccaluareate linkage program with my state medical school. He would be studying around 8 hours a week with classes and 12-14 hours a week without classes (all his classmates studied similar amounts of time). He had almost no free time. When he passed the year long program, MS-1 was like a vacation to him and MS-2 was somewhat easier. In his case, he had a brutal post-bacc, but an easier medical school curriculum.

Members don't see this ad.

I just want to add its so incredibly variable from school to school due to things like testing schedule, mandatory attendance, class rank, grades vs pass/fail, etc.

You're going to have a different pre-clinical experience if you go to a mandatory attendance/graded school compared to a no attendance policy P/F school.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 2 med student friends tell me that I should get use to the fact that I wont be making A's on my med school exams as consistently as I use to in undergrad. They told me that "B's are the new A's." Can anyone relate? How would you guys describe the effort necessary to maintain an A average?

As are As, Bs are Bs. "Bs are the new As" is what people say to cope with not getting As like before. Or what people say to incoming MS1s to help prepare them for what's about to happen.

Unless you go to a school where grades are determined by a bell curve, the only thing preventing you from getting As is yourself.

That said, As aren't as important as they were in premed. The most important thing is learning as much as you can as well as you can as fast as you can. The second most important thing is being comfortable with what your absolute best/max effort is capable of achieving. Some people are going to be B students. And the B student who accepts they aren't an A student anymore is going to have a much more enjoyable and productive MS1 than the B student who has a panic attack everytime they don't get an A.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
you shouldn't even worry about your numerical grade. what really matters is where you stand in the class. if you get a 62 on a test but you fall within the top ~90% of the class, then you have nothing to worry about. the school won't kick out 20 people, doing so would lose 20x tuition&fees and since its ALL ABOUT MONEY they're definitely going to keep you in, regardless of whether you're an idiot.

And the B student who accepts they aren't an A student anymore is going to have a much more enjoyable and productive MS1 than the B student who has a panic attack everytime they don't get an A.

This.

Reactions: 1 users
This was under Dubin -- TCOM was leading the COMLEX 1 pack by at least 1 SD above the norm, other schools were coming in to see how we were getting those scores -- average MCAT for my class was 26-27; I'm not exaggerating -- the average study time for us was 2-3 hours per night AFTER class all day with 4-5 hours per day on the weekends -- some of us did more -- a whole lot more; One of my Clin Med professors used to say that if you slept more than 4 hours per night, you were doing it wrong -- study groups would regularly split up the reading assignments and then each person would do study notes over their section and make copies for everyone in the study group;

One of my Clin Med professors used to say that if you slept more than 4 hours per night, you were doing it wrong

Med students: you DON'T need to this to succeed. Get your sleep while you can. 6-8hrs will not come at the expense of grades... but consistently only getting 4 hours of sleep will... and someday it will catch up to you. Stay healthy, in body and mind. No time for neurosis.

Reactions: 8 users
Med students: you DON'T need to this to succeed. Get your sleep while you can. 6-8hrs will not come at the expense of grades... but consistently only getting 4 hours of sleep will... and someday it will catch up to you. Stay healthy, in body and mind. No time for neurosis.
Especially the night before an exam. Never understood how people can pull all-nighters and expect to perform well.

Especially the night before an exam. Never understood how people can pull all-nighters and expect to perform well.
Did this all the time for physics and o-chem in undergrad. Actually did great when I did those all night cram sessions. I wouldn't ever even attempt it in med school. I usually take the day before the test (monday tests) off and get up early to skim something I thought was weak.

Did this all the time for physics and o-chem in undergrad. Actually did great when I did those all night cram sessions. I wouldn't ever even attempt it in med school. I usually take the day before the test (monday tests) off and get up early to skim something I thought was weak.
how-gif-1.gif

Haha I understand, but for me Sunday is my day for church/family and that's it. So I treat it as if Saturday's my last day to study. That's all. Doing the same for the USMLE in 1.5 weeks!

BTW, I love Dr. Who. LOOOOVE it.

Haha I understand, but for me Sunday is my day for church/family and that's it. So I treat it as if Saturday's my last day to study. That's all. Doing the same for the USMLE in 1.5 weeks!

BTW, I love Dr. Who. LOOOOVE it.
I had similar aspirations for Sundays when I started school, but it was pathetic how short lived that goal was.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar aspirations for Sundays when I started school, but it was pathetic how short lived that goal was.
I have definitely studied on Sunday if I didn't prepare adequately, but it's more of a rarity now. Got to do what works for you is all.

I was going to ask if that was your plan haha. Best of luck to you.
Thanks! I don't get to take a day off before the COMLEX though, since I'm taking it 3 days later. When are you taking yours again? (or have you already?)

My class avg is usually like 72-76

Never fear; it's harder to get out of medical school than in. Meaning, once you're in, we do everything we can to make sure that you graduate.

exactly, we had more than 30 applicants for every spot....and 1 yr in we only lost 4 (out of >150) and two of those are repeating the first year and one left for personal reasons

They really do want everyone to graduate and get a residency

B's don't have to become A's, but by making this change after the first semester I have not had as much anxiety and my quality of life is better.

It is up to you.

In third year though I will be aiming for Honors.

Its me, OP. 3 months into med school and Bs are in fact the new As.

I actually did a lot better than my undergrad or SMP, but like some say, it might be we are familiar with the current materials

How many students leave (%), approximately, due to academic reasons?? Im scared lol
Can anyone explain how medschools "keep your from failing out"? I dont see how thats possible unless they hand you the test answers!

How many students leave (%), approximately, due to academic reasons?? Im scared lol
Can anyone explain how medschools "keep your from failing out"? I dont see how thats possible unless they hand you the test answers!

My OMS I class finished with 115 and OMS II started with 111. We picked up one person from the class above us, and lost four; of those, three are repeating the year and only one decided not to come back. Over 99% retention isn't bad.

Mine "keeps you from falling out" by allowing for remediation, within reason, and if that doesn't pan out, generally allowing people to repeat the year.

My OMS I class finished with 115 and OMS II started with 111. We picked up one person from the class above us, and lost four; of those, three are repeating the year and only one decided not to come back. Over 99% retention isn't bad.

Mine "keeps you from falling out" by allowing for remediation, within reason, and if that doesn't pan out, generally allowing people to repeat the year.

That being said. Some people aren't cut out for medical school

Are there a certain personalities, a weakness, or something that is indicative of someone who isnt cut out?

so far, no one has left my class. we recently finished a 10 week accelerated anatomy crash course and no one thought it was hard enough to quit.

Schools will curve grades slightly for each exam. Also, if you fail, they'll give you a couple of times to retake the course. To my understanding, most people who retake end up passing the 2nd time. However, there are some people who slip through and are asked to leave

Are there a certain personalities, a weakness, or something that is indicative of someone who isnt cut out?

couldn't tell you just yet, but from the people who aren't doing so hot, its usually just their laziness or lack of enthusiasm that holds them back. Exams aren't easy either; a lot of questions are critical thinking clinical based Qs which require you to think. I would imagine someone who has a hard time with that wouldn't be doing so well

My school make sure you have a private tutor if you are falling behind and they closely monitor your progress... They allow you to remediate or repeat etc... We have a 98% retention rate so far. I am guessing more than 90% of us will graduate on time...

Its me, OP. 3 months into med school and Bs are in fact the new As.
I know you're busy so quick question, everyone has told me not to worry about auditing or studying before I start next year. I did well in chem and Ochems (As) but I never took biochem. Do you suggest I take anything or audit it? A cardiologist I shadow told me don't worry and it's easy (lol ok...) and an SMP student and a med student told me to just relax and take the year to travel. How do you feel about this knowing what you know now?

I've thought if anything I'll go over my Mcat prep study books lol

I know you're busy so quick question, everyone has told me not to worry about auditing or studying before I start next year. I did well in chem and Ochems (As) but I never took biochem. Do you suggest I take anything or audit it? A cardiologist I shadow told me don't worry and it's easy (lol ok...) and an SMP student and a med student told me to just relax and take the year to travel. How do you feel about this knowing what you know now?

Skip the mcat study books. Almost all of that isn't even touched in medical school.

After going thru 3 months of MS1, I am very content with the amount I study and getting B's. I have a some A's, but you really have to kill yourself to score that high

I was going for the bio sections. But that's good advice if it won't help lol
The bio in med school is histo/cell bio, which is very heavy in histo. The molecular bio in med school is a heavy biochem/genetics with a bunch of crazy pathways and some rare diseases... Just enjoy your free time right and you will be glad you did...

As @Shinobiz11 said, it's not extremely difficult to get B and C in med school, but getting As consistently requires that you know every single minutiae in the book.

The bio in med school is histo/cell bio, which is very heavy in histo. The molecular bio in med school is a heavy biochem/genetics with a bunch of crazy pathways and some rare diseases... Just enjoy your free time right and you will be glad you did...

As @Shinobiz11 said, it's not extremely difficult to get B and C in med school, but getting As consistently requires that you know every single minutiae in the book.

I appreciate the advice! It feels like all the work before med school is just to see if we're capable of learning, and it sounds like med school everyone starts off on a level playing field from scratch. I've just had a fear of forgetting everything or being really rusty and off to a rough start lol

I did study a few chapters of the assigned anatomy book before starting and it did help me out because the material wasn't new to me when classes started. That being said, burnout is a real thing (I'm experiencing it now and its only half way through the semester). you need to take every break you can get and be efficient when you have to study; thats just how med school works. So I recommend you hang out with all your friends as much as u can before you start because you're not gonna see them as much next year and it gets lonely (moving to another city in the middle of nowhere sucks).

I appreciate the advice! It feels like all the work before med school is just to see if we're capable of learning, and it sounds like med school everyone starts off on a level playing field from scratch. I've just had a fear of forgetting everything or being really rusty and off to a rough start lol

People do NOT start off on a level playing field. Everyone comes here from different backgrounds. Some are VERY well prepared and some aren't.

Just try asking a PharmD how hard Pharm was compared to say a history major.

People do NOT start off on a level playing field. Everyone comes here from different backgrounds. Some are VERY well prepared and some aren't.

Just try asking a PharmD how hard Pharm was compared to say a history major.

lol, good point. I just mean like in that we don't know what to expect in terms of rigor and material. But yeah, I'm sure your background is very important. I appreciate you taking time to help answer some questions, I'm sure you're really busy with school! I was just worried lol. I left a corporate job to go into scribing to take it easy for the next few months and get more exposure. I just didn't know if I should sprinkle in some studying to stay fresh or "in study mode". Burnout wouldn't be good though haha

Truth. Pulled an all-nighter Wednesday into Thursday and failed my Thursday exam. Knew the material going in, but psyched myself out and was tired and distracted during the exam. Now I'm having to adjust my hopes for Micro from "can I pull off an A?" to "can I hold on to a B?"

Truth. Pulled an all-nighter Wednesday into Thursday and failed my Thursday exam. Knew the material going in, but psyched myself out and was tired and distracted during the exam. Now I'm having to adjust my hopes for Micro from "can I pull off an A?" to "can I hold on to a B?"
Get 8 hours sleep the night before the next exam and eat a good breakfast. It will do wonders.

Reactions: 3 users

You have a million tests in med school. Start as strong as you can and work on your problem areas. The rust goes away. My worst test so far was on one of the "easiest" tests this year, but it was our first. I adjusted and am consistently in the top quartile.

People are just not on a level field. It would have helped if you had a tough biochem or anatomy class in undergrad, but doing anything but enjoying your free time is unwise before starting.

I miss TV and Netflix. I miss having a day off where I could be hungover. I miss golf. Start there and then turn the switch on when you start, because you can't really turn it off.

Was a straight B student with a bunch of C's in undergrad to straight A's in med school with only biochem background. It is all about how hard you work