Are DDS and DMD the same?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

toofache32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please help me clarify this. My friend's dad is a veterinarian who's pharmacist has a brother who said that dentists need a DMD if they want to have any respect. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

Please help me clarify this. My friend's dad is a veterinarian who's pharmacist has a brother who said that dentists need a DMD if they want to have any respect. Is this true?

Muahaha. Dad's vet's Pharm.D's bro's wrong!!! ...says a friend of a friend of the dean of dental school's son.

Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding was that the two degrees are equivalent, but different universities have their preferences as to which they award. Some award the DDS as it is traditionally the degree they have always granted, while others award the DDM as they feel it fits better with the future role of dentistry. Basically, same degree, just different initials.

Try the search function. There has got to be over twenty threads out there on this same topic.

:laugh:

Are you bored toothache? Stay in the dent board. :p

this is from ada.org:

"1867—The Harvard University Dental School, the first university-affiliated dental institution, is founded. The school calls its degree the Dentariae Medicinae Doctorae (DMD), creating a continuing semantic controversy (DDS vs. DMD)."

other sites i have googled insist that DDS and DMD are completely and utterly the same and equivalent in everything but name only.

who cares...i just wanna be a dentist!!!

lolz people, toofache knows. Calm down.

ah, i took the bait. i guess i never expect people to stay on this board for more than a couple years tops. :)

they are the exact same. I know when case swithed to the dmd degree they contacted all previous graduates and offered to switch their title from dds to dmd. some people think dmd sounds better cuz it has the md ending.. but in the end they all do the exact same things

they are the exact same. I know when case swithed to the dmd degree they contacted all previous graduates and offered to switch their title from dds to dmd. some people think dmd sounds better cuz it has the md ending.. but in the end they all do the exact same things

If that is the case, talk about huge inferiority complex! What a shame... DP

Except that a huge percentage of the general public thinks a DMD has more training and is more highly qualified then a DDS. It's not inferiority, it's good business to get a DMD.
All I ever knew before I wanted to become one was that the word on the office said "dentist", and the person that drilled my teeth everyone called "doctor". Didn't know or care what was behind their name...i must be gullible:)

Hell in California a lot of DMD's change their title to DDS since that is what is known in California. Makes no difference. all i care about are those two D's Doctorate and Dentistry.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You guys are all ******ed!

:D

I love how people still entertain this question...

Hey now! I knew when I read the question. Who actually asks a question beginning with "my friend's dad is a veterinarian who's pharmacist has a brother"? I was just so happy that I finally knew an answer to a question that I responded anyway. Besides, I believe in being a good sport. It is all in good-natured fun!

Except that a huge percentage of the general public thinks a DMD has more training and is more highly qualified then a DDS. It's not inferiority, it's good business to get a DMD.

In actuality, more people are aware of DDS than DMD. More than once my patients asked me what DMD is. I have yet to come across one who questions DDS. DP

Hell in California a lot of DMD's change their title to DDS since that is what is known in California. Makes no difference. all i care about are those two D's Doctorate and Dentistry.

It is illegal to change from DDS to DMD or viseversa. You degrees must be exactly appeared on your diploma. DP

Status
Not open for further replies.