Are "letter packet", "committee letter", "pre-health committee" and "composite letter" synonymous?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blinks

Reaction score
My school only offers letter packets, does this supercede individual letter requirements?

For example, Rutgers med has this written in their LOR requirements section:
  • A pre-medical committee packet is preferred by the NJMS Admissions Committee.
  • If your school does not have a pre-medical committee, a minimum of (2) science and (1) non-science recommendation letters from faculty who are able to assess your candidacy for medical school are required.
Another example is Brown, who says this:
  • The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University requires either one composite letter from your undergraduate school’s premedical committee or a minimum of three individual letters of recommendation from your premedical or research adviser, professors at the institution where you last studied, or other individuals of your choice (maximum of six).
My school does have a pre-medical committee, but they put together letter packets and add a cover letter on top (they no longer write committee letters).

Can I still apply to Rutgers in this situation if I don't have a non-science recommendation and my school doing letter packets? Is "composite letter" in Brown's language the same as letter packet?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My school only offers letter packets, does this supercede individual letter requirements?

Yes.

For example, Rutgers med has this written in their LOR requirements section:
  • A pre-medical committee packet is preferred by the NJMS Admissions Committee.
  • If your school does not have a pre-medical committee, a minimum of (2) science and (1) non-science recommendation letters from faculty who are able to assess your candidacy for medical school are required.
Another example is Brown, who says this:
  • The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University requires either one composite letter from your undergraduate school’s premedical committee or a minimum of three individual letters of recommendation from your premedical or research adviser, professors at the institution where you last studied, or other individuals of your choice (maximum of six).
My school does have a pre-medical committee, but they put together letter packets and add a cover letter on top (they no longer write committee letters).

Can I still apply to Rutgers in this situation if I don't have a non-science recommendation and my school doing letter packets? Is "composite letter" in Brown's language the same as letter packet?

Yes, for these purposes, your school provides something that can be a substitute for three separate letters.

Reactions: 1 user