Missing committee letter

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heartman1998

Reaction score
It completed one of the popular post-bacc programs. However, I failed to secure a committee letter due to a few missed emails; additionally, my post-bacc GPA was quite low. My advisory dean has offered to write me a "cover letter" in its place. This letter will confirm that I completed the post-bacc program in good standing and will request that the absence of a committee letter not be held against me. I otherwise have five very strong letters of recommendation.

Will this cover letter truly help my application? Or should I submit the letters I have individually?

TBH, I'm not sure I trust my dean, and I also worry their cover letter will draw attention to the missing committee letter.

uGPA: 3.8
post-bacc GPA: 3.3
MCAT: 524
research: few thousand hours, 10+ pubs
volunteering: 500 hours

Members don't see this ad.

How many pre-reqs did you complete as an undergrad. How many credits did you complete in the post-bac? I wouldn't be too worried about the lack of a post-bac committee letter as I would about a non-trad career changer who only managed a 3.3 in post-bac but a 524 on the MCAT. What happened in the post-bac?

I wouldn't bother with a letter from the dean. Anyone who looks at the grades can see that you completed the post-bac with a specific gpa which appears to be above the average needed to avoid academic probation.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
How many pre-reqs did you complete as an undergrad. How many credits did you complete in the post-bac?
I did all the chem and bio pre-reqs in the post bacc. These added up to around 30 units.

What happened in the post-bac?
I was juggling too many things. Full-time job (40-60 hours/week), medical research (10-20 hours/week), volunteering (5-10 hours/week). I was unable to find time to go to office hours or complete time-consuming assignments and reports. But I did have a strong grasp of the material. This is why I was able to do well on exams and the MCAT. Still, the shoddy assignments dragged down my grades.

Although these other engagements made it difficult to maintain my post-bac GPA, I believe they were just as, if not more, important.

I wouldn't bother with a letter from the dean.
Thank you for giving me a definitive answer. I was also thinking that I could selectively use the cover letter. Perhaps only with the schools that get a lot of applicants from my post-bacc program. What do you think of this?

Your science GPA is low, I suspect. With the very high MCAT, it will raise some eyebrows and perhaps pique some curiousity.

I'm not sure that anything from your post-bac dean is worth bothering with.

I'm concerned that you took on too much, didn't prioritize grades over all else (which is the coin of the realm in pre-med) and are now paying the price.

I was a physics major and math minor in undergrad. So, my science GPA comes out to 3.65 despite my post-bacc. But yes, I suppose I will pay the price now.
raise some eyebrows and perhaps pique some curiousity
How do you suggest I address questions about my low post-bacc GPA?

I'm not sure that anything from your post-bac dean is worth bothering with.
Amazing! Thank you for the clarity! But to triple check, should I not bother with their letter even when I'm applying to medical school at the same university my post-bacc was in?

The cover letter by itself appears to be pro forma and won't help or hurt you, so I think having it isn't going to be a problem. I don't know what you did with getting other letters of recommendation/evaluation.

Are any of your individual rec letters from faculty in the post-bac program?

What's your overall letter composition?
I was juggling too many things. Full-time job (40-60 hours/week), medical research (10-20 hours/week), volunteering (5-10 hours/week). I was unable to find time to go to office hours or complete time-consuming assignments and reports. But I did have a strong grasp of the material. This is why I was able to do well on exams and the MCAT. Still, the shoddy assignments dragged down my grades.
As to how to address your post-bacc GPA.... not like this. Is there a positive trend on your post-bac GPA? Can you show that you realized that you over-committed and course corrected?

The mindset in your posts here suggests that you consider some things to be less important (time-consuming assignments, reports) and/or might lack attention to detail (missing emails leading to a missed committee letter).

Where are you in the submission process now? Are these letters for next cycle, or are you still not complete for this cycle?

Reactions: 1 users
Are any of your individual rec letters from faculty in the post-bac program?
One of them is.

What's your overall letter composition?
1 from faculty with whom I took two classes and got A+s
2 from MDs that I published with
2 from PhDs in my old, non-science career that I was doing research with

As to how to address your post-bacc GPA.... not like this. Is there a positive trend on your post-bac GPA? Can you show that you realized that you over-committed and course corrected?
Uh oh. Detailing my other extra-curricular engagements was exactly how I was going to approach it.
My post-bacc was only a year long leaving me no time to course-correct.

The mindset in your posts here suggests that you consider some things to be less important (time-consuming assignments, reports) and/or might lack attention to detail (missing emails leading to a missed committee letter).
I know what I'm going to say will turn off some people here. But I want to be radically honest in the hopes that you can help me craft a better answer to the "why low GPA" question.

I did view a lot of the coursework as merely procedural hoops to jump through. A lot of it felt like rubber stamping after having been engaged in real-world R&D for the past few years. I felt that my performance in prior undergrad and grad studies should be sufficient evidence that I can handle intense coursework. I thought the MCAT would be more than sufficient to prove my mastery of the pre-requesite material.

Where are you in the submission process now? Are these letters for next cycle, or are you still not complete for this cycle?
I'm not complete yet, but I will be by the end of the week. I already have all the letters ready in AMCAS. I'm forwarding them to schools as and when I complete secondaries.

FWIW, if you were one of my students I would say that you're late enough in the process that your chances of a successful cycle are already significantly impacted by being complete in October.
1 from faculty with whom I took two classes and got A+s
2 from MDs that I published with
2 from PhDs in my old, non-science career that I was doing research with
Depending on the school, this is very, very research heavy for letters and (to me) seems light on letters who can support your ability in coursework: are you applying for an MD/PhD or an otherwise research focused school based on mission? You also say you were counting on your undergrad coursework performance, but it doesn't seem like you have letters from any of your undergrad faculty who had you in a class?
I did view a lot of the coursework as merely procedural hoops to jump through.
Personally, I wouldn't disagree with this view, but let me provide the counterpoint: the rest of your career is going to be riddled with procedural hoops to jump through that are important and need to be taken seriously, for better or for worse. I would be cautious of an approach that suggests that you "blow off" procedural things you personally consider unimportant.

As has been mentioned, wide gaps between pre-req GPA and MCAT performance can suggest students who are competent with the material but don't have follow-through with doing diligence on a regular basis, especially for things they consider unimportant. That's not always a great look to committees, and the direction you're going with your explanations doubles down.

I think a more successful tact would be to go with the "I over-committed, it's a mistake I won't make again and here are the practices I've learned to make sure I prioritize my work".

Unrelated to the above, I notice in your OP and subsequent posts you mention GPA/MCAT/Publications/Research experience, but don't really mention how much clinical experience and community service you have. Are the numbers of these latter categories substantial? This ties back into where you're applying (research focus, MD/PhD) but your application reads as very strong for a PhD program or research focus, and I'm hoping has other things to balance it out.

Reactions: 1 users
counterpoint: the rest of your career is going to be riddled with procedural hoops to jump through that are important and need to be taken seriously, for better or for worse. I would be cautious of an approach that suggests that you "blow off" procedural things you personally consider unimportant.

As has been mentioned, wide gaps between pre-req GPA and MCAT performance can suggest students who are competent with the material but don't have follow-through with doing diligence on a regular basis, especially for things they consider unimportant. That's not always a great look to committees, and the direction you're going with your explanations doubles down.
That's a strong argument! Please can you help me craft a defense?

I over-committed, it's a mistake I won't make again and here are the practices I've learned to make sure I prioritize my work.
I can certainly say this, but I don't have much to back it up. My post-bacc was only a year long, so I can't show an upward GPA trend. I couldn't just give up on my full-time job since my immigration status was conditional upon my continued employment. And as a 30yo, I was unwilling to take fewer classes/semester and delay my application further.

Depending on the school, this is very, very research heavy for letters and (to me) seems light on letters who can support your ability in coursework: are you applying for an MD/PhD or an otherwise research focused school based on mission?
I am indeed primarily interested in research. Specifically interdisciplinary research between medicine and my old field.

I'm only applying to MD. I don't want to do a PhD since I don't think I'd gain much from it. I already have a strong research resume; I have design ed led many research projects myself. I don't want to work in academia or manage a lab. I'm interested in either surgical specialties, or skipping residency alrogether in favor of working in medtech or investing.

I'm interested in either surgical specialties, or skipping residency alrogether in favor of working in medtech or investing.
I'll be honest, I think this alone might be a hard sell for a lot of medical schools in a time when we're critically understaffed on physicians.

Why do you think an MD would be the best career option for you if you don't plan to practice medicine, and instead want to do research or medtech?

Reactions: 3 users
Honestly, I'm not sure exactly what I want to do. I agree that an MD is not optimal for working in MedTech. If I want to work in investing, I should probably get an MBA.

However, surgery is fascinating, and it's my primary objective in med school. MedTech and investing are fallback options in case I decide I dislike clinical medicine, or I find a super interesting application.

I'm aware of the physician shortage, but I believe there's an even greater need for interdisciplinary work. As I progress through med school, I will approach everything from the perspective of an engineer who has constructed real-world machine learning models. I suspect that I'll likely find a niche I'm passionate about. Every year, 10-20 students at Stanford choose not to participate in the match. Many of them go on to have an impact on the field of medicine that's just as significant, if not more so than they would have had as clinicians.

I know I don't fit the traditional mold of a med student. In some of the ways you have pointed out, these are areas of concern. I will work to adjust my mindset regarding them and present myself appropriately. However, in other instances, I believe my unique perspective is valuable, and I wish med schools were not so homogeneous in what they are looking for.

Some really good responses in this thread already, but I'll give some additional points on a couple of topics raised. For context, my perspective is that of a physician in a hybrid/non-pure clinical role. I still have a clinical practice (GI - clinic/procedures/inpatient consults) but most of my time is in hospital leadership/clinical informatics -- c-level hospital exec role (many layers of reporting under me), as well as a separate team of direct report data scientists (master, phd, md/phd members). I am faculty at a "brand name" medical school and a major tertiary/quaternary academic medical center. I am faculty for two fellowships (GI/clin informatics) and have mentored med/grad students as well as MD trainees (residents/fellows).

1) Value of MD in a career with a small % of clinical practice. I'll burst the bubble on the value of the degree right off the bat. The MD itself, fresh out of medical school, is basically not worth all that much. As a med school graduate, you have an overall mediocre grasp on clinical medicine in terms of patient care. It's through the actual practice of medicine (residency/fellowship/attending practice), that you actually gain expertise in the healthcare system, operational workflow, patient care challenges, areas of need for innovation/scientific discovery in whichever choosen field. Without that perspective, the MD degree does not really bring anything of value to any collaboration, whether it's medtech/industry/consulting/investing. As a medical student, you simply cannot grasp the complexities of all of these areas to offer any real insights. Imagine investing in a company that promises to reduce length of stay for patients using an "AI platform" (I hear this one a lot in my job) but having no real grasp of the challenges of inpatient workflows/admissions etc. Similarly, in medtech, what is the relative value of a young medical graduate vs a seasoned expert in the field? I am a big fan of "hybrid" backgrounds as I firmly believe multiple perspectives to consider a problem helps give the most innovative solutions. Having worked with PhDs, MD/PhDs, MD/MPHs, MD/MBAs, pure MBAs, MHS, and many more alphabet soups, I will tell you that the MD value comes from actual experience practicing medicine, not the degree itself.

2) Doing a lot at the same time. I commend folks who are high achievers and do a lot at the same time. I think the key takeaway is that doing a lot is not an excuse for not doing a good job. People ultimately look at results when determining value. I would recommend doing a lot at the same time only if you're going to be able to pull it off and be successful. We've all worked with trainees who have a lot going on and deprioritize one aspect (for example, the clinical training for MD/PhDs who are sure they will never practice and just live in lab). This overall paints an unfavorable impression of the person. General advice -- if you're going to do something, do a good job at it. Every choice you make, including deprioritizing some things over others, is reflection of your values/thought process. The people you will deal with moving forward in your career are going to be increasingly savvy observers of individuals. They can see through a lot.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Since your undergrad GPA is high, can you just get a committee letter from your old undergrad university? They save records, especially if you were on the pre-med track. I attended a med school admissions meeting back in undergrad, and someone that worked on admissions said if you don't have a committee letter, you can submit extra science professor LORs. Not sure if that is true for a lot of schools, but it might be worth a shot! Good luck to you!