Are my high school classes good for a future in medicine?

Anesthetistofthefuture

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I'm a sophomore in high school and I am most likely going to Indiana university. So what I wanted to know from some of you professionals or current college students is how my classes sound in consideration of my future in medicine. So I'm going to list the classes I've taken or am going to take and I would really appreciate if you could give me your opinion on if they will help me or not. Thanks!

Science: Honors Biology 1, Biology 2, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology, Honors chemistry, Human Genetics, and AP Biology.
Math: Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Precalculus/Trig, and AP Calculus BC
English: Honors English 9, Honors American Lit, Honors English Lit, Advanced Composition, and Speech
Foreign Language: Spanish 1-3, Spanish 4&5 were completed as college classes.
Social Studies: World History, AP U.S. History, AP Psychology

As a side note: I attend a Catholic school so I also have 8 semesters of Theology education which I don't really think apply to this.

Thanks for any and all help here!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In all honesty your high school classes are going to have close to no impact on medical school performance. Med school is 4 years away and much more in-depth to the degree that it will likely negate any background knowledge you have in any of those topics.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with @DrYoda , though if you continue with the Spanish throughout college that could come in handy depending on the community you eventually work in (especially if you reach near native competency).

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll admit I overlooked the language section. I agree with eteshoe, Spanish being the most common language after English in the US is a valuable thing to know. Even where I practice in the Midwest where it's less common we regularly get Spanish only speaking patients. If you practice in the southwest or either coast this is even more so. If you've gone so far as to take 5 semesters of Spanish I would encourage you to continue practicing it or taking classes.

You think you know a lot in high school when taking "honors biology," then you learn in college... that you know absolutely nothing.

Hi! I'm a sophomore in high school and I am most likely going to Indiana university. So what I wanted to know from some of you professionals or current college students is how my classes sound in consideration of my future in medicine. So I'm going to list the classes I've taken or am going to take and I would really appreciate if you could give me your opinion on if they will help me or not. Thanks!

Science: Honors Biology 1, Biology 2, Microbiology, Anatomy & Physiology, Honors chemistry, Human Genetics, and AP Biology.
Math: Honors Geometry, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Precalculus/Trig, and AP Calculus BC
English: Honors English 9, Honors American Lit, Honors English Lit, Advanced Composition, and Speech
Foreign Language: Spanish 1-3, Spanish 4&5 were completed as college classes.
Social Studies: World History, AP U.S. History, AP Psychology

As a side note: I attend a Catholic school so I also have 8 semesters of Theology education which I don't really think apply to this.

Thanks for any and all help here!
In all honesty, no one really cares what you take in high school.