Are newman projections something you'd see on the mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

csx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i quickly scanned the aamc outline and didn't see it...but was wondering if this is still soemthing one should def know

I ask because I always hated newman projections because I sucked at them and they never quite clicked with me.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's not directly on the outline but it could definitely show up in the form of a passage or indirectly, like conformational isomers or E2 reactions. Why are you so against learning them? They are incredibly easy to pick up. Find a good book or video online to explain it to you. It should literally take only a few minutes.

It's not directly on the outline but it could definitely show up in the form of a passage or indirectly, like conformational isomers or E2 reactions. Why are you so against learning them? They are incredibly easy to pick up. Find a good book or video online to explain it to you. It should literally take only a few minutes.

This is such a good point. Oftentimes, an E2 reaction question gets down the choice between two isomers, where making a Newman projection of the substrate in the activated complex with the leaving group and hydrogen in the anti- position is the quickest way to predicting the stereochemistry of the product.

i quickly scanned the aamc outline and didn't see it...but was wondering if this is still soemthing one should def know

I ask because I always hated newman projections because I sucked at them and they never quite clicked with me.

They honestly aren't too bad to grasp. I spent about 1 hour or so earlier this summer getting the hang of it. Granted, I also reviewed it heavily when I was taking Organic and felt very comfortable with it.