Are non-black people from N. Africa considered URM's?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
NewtonBohr said:
ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh now I see why they gave you a boost...

Awwww...sweetness, I didnt get any boosts. No prep schools, no legacies, no ancestors who came over on the Mayflower. In fact, I'm the child of a former refugee. I'm pretty confident my family and I earned everything we have...but nice try though :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

bon_vivant said:
Awwww...sweetness, I didnt get any boosts. No prep schools, no legacies, no ancestors who came over on the Mayflower. In fact, I'm the child of former refugees. I'm pretty confident my family and I earned everything we have...but nice try though :thumbup:

i was joking ;)

Virgil said:
I find it entertaining that no affirmative action advocate is willing to account for URMs with 3.45's and 29 MCATs getting into Harvard.

Sure, the notion of a nation of ethnically diverse nation of doctors is noble and all, but such a state of affairs is futile. Ortho2006, ironically in his argument for affirmative action, claims that 6543 URM applicants and a whopping 30821 non-URM applicants applied in 2005 (under his "Black + all others = URM; Asian + White = ORM (Non-URM)" assumption). There's going to be disproportionately more non-URM doctors in the end anyway. What gap?

"How likely is it that you will be willing to travel to Compton to King Drew to practice? It is definitely not likely...why is that? (I'll let you and the others answer that question)."

I'll answer your question with another question. How likely is it that a URM, who allegedly came out of such an area in the first place, be able to afford paying undergrad tuition, textbooks, test preparation and application fees/interview expenses (along with other miscellaneous living expenses), medical school, spend a few years in residency, become a practicioner in what is generally the highest paid career in the nation (medicine), only to come back in the slums which made him/her "disadvantaged" in the first place? I doubt that any doctor, or anyone who has been through an equally as grueling a process, would revel in coming back to the slums. I personally don't like getting robbed (because I'm a 'rich' doctor) or becoming a victim in gang warfare, especially after investing hundreds of thousands of dollars in my education.

And besides, being a URM doesn't automatically mean that you come from a place like Compton. In fact, I'm sure that this ignorant assumption is viewed as an insult by many URMs. If any consideration should be given, it should be based on socioeconomic factors alone.

You know i never said that URM's were travelling back to the hood: So I guess my statement was not so ignorant...maybe your interpretation of it was...hmmmmm :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
NewtonBohr said:
does it bother you that only 1000 black people get in every year w/ preferential treatment?? would you be bothered if you knew that only 600 would get in w/o it??
No it doesn't bother me. Not in the least. It should be their responsibility to improve these numbers, not mine. Again, I'm not going to give up my seat at Harvard for a URM with a 3.45 GPA and 29 MCAT (with wonderful extracurriculars, personal statement, and etcetera, I'm sure).

I personally have a few URM friends who use their URM status as an excuse for their poor scores/GPAs, and consequently don't feel like they have to work so hard for an acceptance. I'm going to propose a radical theory here: take away the crutch, level the playing field, kill the excuses, and maybe these friends of mine will realize that they have to work just as hard as everyone else. Although they are my friends, I hope that some of them don't get into medical school, because with that kind of work ethic at the age of 21, I seriously question their potential to become "competent" doctors. And I'm sure that this phenomenon is not only apparent at my university, but elsewhere as well. I'm not trying to make any generalizations here, but this seems to be the trend among my URM friends, at least.

riceman04 said:
Wow!!! based on this post and ones below it, you almost sound bitter.

Well, I'm glad someone read my post. Now, allow me to retort:

riceman04 said:
1. the purpose for actively recruiting URM's is to account for exactly what they are in healthcare: "underrepresented". Application numbers speak for themselves. Why is it that so few URM's are applying to med school relative to ORM's? The gap has to be filled somewhere.

This is that value distinction I spoke of before. Why do people feel the need to have every race represented equally? Who cares, why is this a factor? Should we have every religion represented equally? How about favorite color, I think we need to make sure every patient gets a doctor who has their same preference for ice cream flavors...

riceman04 said:
2. How likely is it that you will be willing to travel to Compton to King Drew to practice? It is definitely not likely...why is that? (I'll let you and the others answer that question).

I go to SC, so I travel to "compton" every day...I am the only white person on the bus every day...

If doctors aren't willing to practice in crappy areas then we need to either a) fix the system so that they are reasonable compensated for, or b) come to the realization that quality healthcare, like everything else in life, might require $. Once again, this is an economic issue, not a racial one.

But let's pretend it is, who guaruntees that Black doctors will practice in black neighborhoods? Do they sign some kind of special oath while all the whites and asians take the hippocratic one? Maybe it would be more pragmatic to screen for philanthropic values than skin colors....And what about all the white people who live in "compton"?

riceman04 said:
3. why dont you want to get into your second argument. I would like to hear what you have to say b/c "qualified", to me, is not solely defined by stats achieved as an undergrad. One can great stats that "qualify" him/her for med school, but that means **** when we are talking about the overall abilities. I think you are kind of limiting people to numbers. So for that reason please explain your second argument.

Here's a start: "qualified", to me, is better defined by undergrad stats than skin color. If you accept the fact that black students and white students both have an equal chance on their exams, then it follows that it is only fair to reward the students who have proved themselves. To accept this argument, of course, you have to understand that having dark skin does not justify poor(er) academic performance.

riceman04 said:
4. The stigma to which you refer is much more deeply rooted in overall societal issues than in some rinky dink attempt by AMA to incre. URM presence in healthcare....but like you in your other post, I will not discuss that argument right now.

You're talking about racism. I was talking about the stigma associated with minority physicians..which has nothing to do with your point and everything to do with the AMA/med schools. Talk to most people above the age of 50 and they will tell you than in their generation, black doctors were poorly qualified compared to "ORM" students. I'm not arguing that this is true, but the stigma itself is very real, and, as this conversation shows, will not go away anytime soon.

riceman04 said:
5. AA/URM...whatever you want to call it, does not come close to rectifying or even masking the problems that exist within our society. I was a psyc major too in undergrad. You have to consider the situation when you apply specific theories.

Derr :confused:

riceman04 said:
We can get into theories about stereotyped threat, perceived treats, diffused responsibility, etc...., but it would not be of any help.

I challenge you to come up with what you think a fair application system would involve and consider.

A fair system would negate skin color and take into consideration socioeconomic backgrounds/hardships, responsibilities, unique experiences, etc....legitimate factors that might add to your character and possibly detract from your GPA/stats. To me this seems like a 100% error-proof method without any URM "boogymen". Of course, we might not have our full representation of minorities...god forbid :rolleyes:

or maybe you (Virgil) were refering to the ignorant assumption you made in the restatement of that question?

need sleep

good night to all

Virgil said:
No it doesn't bother me. Not in the least. It should be their responsibility to improve these numbers, not mine. Again, I'm not going to give up my seat at Harvard for a URM with a 3.45 GPA and 29 MCAT (with wonderful extracurriculars, personal statement, and etcetera, I'm sure).

I personally have a few URM friends who use their URM status as an excuse for their poor scores/GPAs, and consequently don't feel like they have to work so hard for an acceptance. I'm going to propose a radical theory here: take away the crutch, level the playing field, kill the excuses, and maybe these friends of mine will realize that they have to work just as hard as everyone else. Although they are my friends, I hope that some of them don't get into medical school, because with that kind of work ethic at the age of 21, I seriously question their potential to become "competent" doctors. And I'm sure that this phenomenon is not only apparent at my university, but elsewhere as well. I'm not trying to make any generalizations here, but this seems to be the trend among my URM friends, at least.

Mine too. I have one friend who pledged in a black frat last semester and was skipping class all the time and drinking every night, and now when he gets into med school and I don't (hypothetically), should I be happy for him? I'm tired of excuses.

riceman04 said:
You know i never said that URM's were travelling back to the hood: So I guess my statement was not so ignorant...maybe your interpretation of it was...hmmmmm :rolleyes:
I don't see how that can be interpreted in any other way. It is obvious that you support affirmative action so I'm assuming that you were spouting out the old "nobody but URMs will serve in Compton!" reasoning. If this was not the intent of your ambiguous statement, then I apologize for calling you "ignorant." Big hugs! :D

riceman04 said:
or maybe you (Virgil) were refering to the ignorant assumption you made in the restatement of that question?

need sleep

good night to all
You're absolutely right, riceman, because I'm sure that everyone who lives in Compton can easily afford undergraduate tuition, textbooks, medical school, etc., etc., etc. Good night.

Actually, before I bid you a good night, I think I'll make another pretty ignorant assumption. You're probably an URM applicant. I'll go ahead and admit that it is "ignorant" of me to assume that, as I really don't know much about you except that you fervently argue for affirmative action, but all people who argue for it are URMs anyway, right? Well, actually, I'm not that ignorant.

But hey, please correct me if I'm wrong. Good night!

Zoom-Zoom said:
Mine too. I have one friend who pledged in a black frat last semester and was skipping class all the time and drinking every night, and now when he gets into med school and I don't (hypothetically), should I be happy for him?

no, and if fate is against him he will be rejected... The universe has a way of balancing things out...

I'm getting a vision...wait...by George, I think I've come up with a foolproof and "fair" system: abolish affirmative action! No loopholes, absolutely no preferential treatment, and get this--everybody gets a fair chance! Who would've thunk it??

Virgil said:
I'm getting a vision...wait...by George, I think I've come up with a foolproof and "fair" system: abolish affirmative action! No loopholes, absolutely no preferential treatment, and get this--everybody gets a fair chance! Who would've thunk it??
Amen.
THE END.

Virgil said:

I'd agree. Take the money that's been spent in legal fights against AA and spend it on improving the elementary and high school education in heavily minority areas. I'd be for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Virgil said:
I'm getting a vision...wait...by George, I think I've come up with a foolproof and "fair" system: everybody gets a fair chance! Who would've thunk it??
Wake up, wake up, wake up, WAKE UP!!!!!!

Things are NEVER going to be fair for EVERONE in this country!!!!!!! To think otherwise is pretty naive.

I hope everyone in this thread watches the cable series "Black White" where 2 families one black the other white, "change places" with each other and live as the opposite race.

PS- When was the last time a white man was chained and dragged behind a Ford truck by 2 black men? :confused:

1Path said:
PS- When was the last time a white man was chained and dragged behind a Ford truck by 2 black men? :confused:
Probably never, but I know of some white individuals who have been knifed or beaten for straying to the wrong side of town at night.... In any case, that doesn't have anything to do with medical school admissions. I feel confident that the dean of Harvard doesn't have that kind of racist attitude, so the black applicant should be able to get a fair shake, just not a better one than the white applicants of the same stats. Noone is denying that racism still exists in this country...

1Path said:

Things are NEVER going to be fair for EVERONE in this country!!!!!!! To think otherwise is pretty naive.

I hope everyone in this thread watches the cable series "Black White" where 2 families one black the other white, "change places" with each other and live as the opposite race.

That's just it. Most people maintain a naive view of things. Unfortunately, you cannot expect them to understand the depth of discrepancies...why?...it is obvious (so obvious it does not need to be stated).

Virgil said:
I don't see how that can be interpreted in any other way. It is obvious that you support affirmative action so I'm assuming that you were spouting out the old "nobody but URMs will serve in Compton!" reasoning. If this was not the intent of your ambiguous statement, then I apologize for calling you "ignorant." Big hugs! :D

hmmm what was ambiguous about it? You should not infer from that statement that I was suggesting URM's mostly GO BACK (as if they came from) to these communities.

My father is a physician now in an underserved community...and and what I see supports my opinion.

mashce said:
but I know of some white individuals who have been knifed or beaten for straying to the wrong side of town at night.... ...
I know of some individuals that were lynched for straying on the wrong side of town at night. What's your point?

mashce said:
In any case, that doesn't have anything to do with medical school admissions. ...
No, this thread is about people who want to "front" as URM's when it suits them, then be "white" for all other purposes in life. :rolleyes:

mashce said:
I feel confident that the dean of Harvard doesn't have that kind of racist attitude, so the black applicant should be able to get a fair shake, just not a better one than the white applicants of the same stats. Noone is denying that racism still exists in this country...
You made 2 completely different arguments with this statement. The reason URM status is considered in the admission process is BECAUSE racism still exists.

I find these types of threads really perplexing. If the Harvard Lacrosse team captian gets a leg up (which athletes do from what I've heard) on admission to Harvard then it's all good. If Miss Massachusetts has an "advantage" than that's cool too. If the daughter of a family full of Harvard graduates gets speical consideration, no one gives a dam and the reason is clear. All these advantages, like so many others like SES favor white folks. I've personally seen maybe 2 black lacrosse players in my entire life, the overwhelming majority of most Miss America preliminary pageants contestants are white, and I don't need to check Harvard yearbooks to see that there are far more white faces than brown ones (excluding asians). But when some white folks feel "excluded" from having an advantage greater than that which they already have by the nature of the color of THEIR skin, everybodys panties get bunched up.

Please people, given me a freakin break and free the wedgies! :laugh:

As for me......this is all I have to say on this matter........

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
Galatians 5:13-14

.......regardless of sex, age, creed, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, shape, size, color, ANYTHING! :love: :love: :love:

Zoom-Zoom said:
Well, I'm glad someone read my post. Now, allow me to retort:

This is that value distinction I spoke of before. Why do people feel the need to have every race represented equally? Who cares, why is this a factor? Should we have every religion represented equally? How about favorite color, I think we need to make sure every patient gets a doctor who has their same preference for ice cream flavors...

I go to SC, so I travel to "compton" every day...I am the only white person on the bus every day...

If doctors aren't willing to practice in crappy areas then we need to either a) fix the system so that they are reasonable compensated for, or b) come to the realization that quality healthcare, like everything else in life, might require $. Once again, this is an economic issue, not a racial one.

But let's pretend it is, who guaruntees that Black doctors will practice in black neighborhoods? Do they sign some kind of special oath while all the whites and asians take the hippocratic one? Maybe it would be more pragmatic to screen for philanthropic values than skin colors....And what about all the white people who live in "compton"?

Here's a start: "qualified", to me, is better defined by undergrad stats than skin color. If you accept the fact that black students and white students both have an equal chance on their exams, then it follows that it is only fair to reward the students who have proved themselves. To accept this argument, of course, you have to understand that having dark skin does not justify poor(er) academic performance.

You're talking about racism. I was talking about the stigma associated with minority physicians..which has nothing to do with your point and everything to do with the AMA/med schools. Talk to most people above the age of 50 and they will tell you than in their generation, black doctors were poorly qualified compared to "ORM" students. I'm not arguing that this is true, but the stigma itself is very real, and, as this conversation shows, will not go away anytime soon.

Derr :confused:

A fair system would negate skin color and take into consideration socioeconomic backgrounds/hardships, responsibilities, unique experiences, etc....legitimate factors that might add to your character and possibly detract from your GPA/stats. To me this seems like a 100% error-proof method without any URM "boogymen". Of course, we might not have our full representation of minorities...god forbid :rolleyes:

1. I thought you were a psychology major (you have taken social psyc right). You should know the benefit of having docs represented from particular races.

2. Just b/c you travel 1 mi on a bus to a gated campus for class does not suggest that would be willing to practice in such a neighbor hood...that school is not nicknamed University of Spoiled Children for an illegitimate reason...not to suggest that you are spoiled...but rather to point out the type of people who attend (and by the way...just for the sake of being correct...you dont travel through compton...USC is not in compton)

"b) come to the realization that quality healthcare, like everything else in life, might require $. Once again, this is an economic issue, not a racial one.

But let's pretend it is, who guaruntees that Black doctors will practice in black neighborhoods? Do they sign some kind of special oath while all the whites and asians take the hippocratic one? Maybe it would be more pragmatic to screen for philanthropic values than skin colors....And what about all the white people who live in "compton"?"

3. We can come to your realization in b) and then suffer the consequences (where did you grow up and what high school did you attend?...if you are from socal, that is), both economic and social. Healthcare is and always will be a social and economic issue...there is no way to get around that

4. No one guarantees that afr. amer. docs will practice in afr. amer. neighborhoods, but the likelihood of them doing so is much higher for them to do it than someone coming from an affluent, predominantly white.

Do you think that just because docs state the hippocratic oath they will follow a pursuit in medicine that focuses on the greater good of the human population. Sure they will be serving people, but many of them are, more so, pursuing personal gains.

5. Do you think that that many white people live in compton? Dont kid yourself

"You're talking about racism. I was talking about the stigma associated with minority physicians..which has nothing to do with your point and everything to do with the AMA/med schools. Talk to most people above the age of 50 and they will tell you than in their generation, black doctors were poorly qualified compared to "ORM" students. I'm not arguing that this is true, but the stigma itself is very real, and, as this conversation shows, will not go away anytime soon."

6. My dad is a physician. He attended USC for med school and earned his way in (so did the other 3 afr. amer docs in his class). Though there was no actual aa back then there was still a stigma that existed. Although they felt like they belonged b/c they had earned their spot, many of their white counterparts felt as if they did not...not b/c of their stats...but for the simple fact that they were black...."if they got in it must be b/c of some program" They received no handout and yet assumptions were made. I hate to say it but people will always make assumptions about other races.

You should go to USC's medical campus and check out the classes from back in the 70's 60's 50's etc....Tell me what you see!

"A fair system would negate skin color and take into consideration socioeconomic backgrounds/hardships, responsibilities, unique experiences, etc....legitimate factors that might add to your character and possibly detract from your GPA/stats. To me this seems like a 100% error-proof method without any URM "boogymen". Of course, we might not have our full representation of minorities...god forbid"

7. Ok so here you have some good aspects to your system but the problem is that they are already considered (but of course you will negate that just for the sake of making it seem like this system is so much more unfair than it really is...you will see when you get into med school just how this system does not assist URM's that much):

"responsibilities, unique experiences, etc....legitimate factors that might add to your character and possibly detract from your GPA/stats"...all of that is fine and dandy but they are already considered.

Here is the problem with socioeconomic status: It is very easy for people to falsely alter their presented income so that it seems as if they are facing more hardships than they actually are facing...This system is used in undergrad admissions decisions (it also is used to determine scholarship/fin aid) all the time. There are people who teach parents (and students) how to take advantage of the loopholes in this system...I know b/c the College Board is still conducting investigations on this issue (My mom works in education...LAUSD..etc...and has been contacted by the College Board).

go trojans (I grew up in a trojan family: my brother, sister, mom, and dad all attended for some schooling...I also used to go to all the home and some away football games)

Oh yeah...I grew up in Ladera Heights (the west end of it)...but I will establishing a practice in an underserved community for my people and for non-english speaking patients.

Oh yeah...one more thing: I have a friend from Rice who graduated with a 3.55 and scored a 28 on his MCAT. He was accepted into Harvard Med school in 2003. By your standards he is not qualified, right?...Well now he is in the 5% of his class...go figure! Is he still not qualified to be a doctor?

riceman04 said:
hmmm what was ambiguous about it? You should not infer from that statement that I was suggesting URM's mostly GO BACK (as if they came from) to these communities.

My father is a physician now in an underserved community...and and what I see supports my opinion.

My uncle (an Asian) is also a physician in an underserved Afr. American community. His patient population is almost 95% black. In fact, most of his patients like him so much they left black doctors in the area to go see him. There are also many other Asians/Indians working in the area, but no white doctors.

So it's hard for me to believe when someone says ORMs won't work in underserved areas because I'm seeing it happen. Also, it's hard for me to believe when someone says minorities will always prefer doctors of their ethnicity because that's exactly the opposite of what I'm seeing.

I'm not saying that the argument is wrong, I just don't see the evidence for it.

1Path said:
I know of some individuals that were lynched for straying on the wrong side of town at night. What's your point?
I was responding to the previous poster's insinuation that only blacks meet with racially motivated violence.

No, this thread is about people who want to "front" as URM's when it suits them, then be "white" for all other purposes in life. :rolleyes:

This thread has shifted from being about that to a debate about AA. I firmly oppose affirmative action, but the idea of someone falsely claiming URM status is repulsive because of its dishonesty. I already suggested to the OP that he should not try to claim URM status

You made 2 completely different arguments with this statement. The reason URM status is considered in the admission process is BECAUSE racism still exists.

No, I didn't. What I am saying is that while pockets of racism still exist, espeically among lower class whites, the majority of people at the education level of a dean of a medical school would not share those views, so while there is racism, it no longer should be a factor in med school admissions.

I find these types of threads really perplexing. If the Harvard Lacrosse team captian gets a leg up (which athletes do from what I've heard) on admission to Harvard then it's all good. If Miss Massachusetts has an "advantage" than that's cool too. If the daughter of a family full of Harvard graduates gets speical consideration, no one gives a dam and the reason is clear.
The captain of the lacrosse team or Miss Massachusetts are extracurricular activities that a person has put a lot of time and effort into. The black man who managed to balance playing Division I basketball and school will get the same kind of consideration as the lacrosse player, maybe more. As far as the family full of Harvard graduates getting preference, I and most other applicants on this board do oppose it. However, it's considerably less common and much harder to prove, so there aren't as many rants about it...
All these advantages, like so many others like SES favor white folks. I've personally seen maybe 2 black lacrosse players in my entire life, the overwhelming majority of most Miss America preliminary pageants contestants are white, and I don't need to check Harvard yearbooks to see that there are far more white faces than brown ones (excluding asians). But when some white folks feel "excluded" from having an advantage greater than that which they already have by the nature of the color of THEIR skin, everybodys panties get bunched up.

Please people, given me a freakin break and free the wedgies! :laugh:

Most whites aren't getting their panties bunched up about not being included in extra advantages; they just don't want anyone else to have them either. They want the process to be color-blind, or at least not have the bar radically lowered for minority students.

Jaykms said:
My uncle (an Asian) is also a physician in an underserved Afr. American community. His patient population is almost 95% black. In fact, most of his patients like him so much they left black doctors in the area to go see him. There are also many other Asians/Indians working in the area, but no white doctors.

So it's hard for me to believe when someone says ORMs won't work in underserved areas because I'm seeing it happen. Also, it's hard for me to believe when someone says minorities will always prefer doctors of their ethnicity because that's exactly the opposite of what I'm seeing.

I'm not saying that the argument is wrong, I just don't see the evidence for it.

The majority do not...numbers dont lie.

When you are seeing whatever you are seeing...you are observing an isolated incident and trying to generalize it to fit a larger perspective. That observation useless.

That does not mean that asian docs dont prac in these areas (b/c they do...especially those who are coming directly from other countries)...their numbers just are not as great

mashce said:
Most whites aren't getting their panties bunched up about not being included in extra advantages; they just don't want anyone else to have them either. They want the process to be color-blind, or at least not have the bar radically lowered for minority students.
You speak about a "radically lowered bar" but what all the "hoopes" people of color have to jump through to been seen "on par" intellectually with whites?? I have freinds of color with degrees from MD/PhD's to JD's and despite where we went to school, Ivy league or State school, what are test scores/GPA's were when we entered, we ALL have at one time or another been infairly evaluated grade wise.

:D
TimmyTheWonderD said:
As for me......this is all I have to say on this matter........

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."
Galatians 5:13-14

.......regardless of sex, age, creed, race, ethnicity, nationality, sexual orientation, shape, size, color, ANYTHING! :love: :love: :love:

true...but then if we did we would not be human (the fact that we are human is the problem...in terms of religion...you know what I mean right?

I am feeling lazy right now and do not feel like explaining...I know, I am pathetic... :) :) :D

1Path said:
You speak about a "radically lowered bar" but what all the "hoopes" people of color have to jump through to been seen "on par" intellectually with whites?? I have freinds of color with degrees from MD/PhD's to JD's and despite where we went to school, Ivy league or State school, what are test scores/GPA's were when we entered, we ALL have at one time or another been infairly evaluated grade wise.

Part of the reason that minorities from ivy league schools still aren't seen on par with whites from the same school is BECAUSE of the lowered standards. If the standards were the same, then I would know that the black student who graduated from Harvard got in on their own merit and not because of their race.
As far as being unfairly (not infairly) evaluated for grades, most science courses are not subjectively graded and neither is the MCAT....

Ok, so yeah URM threads are pretty lame. Doing a search of previous threads will show you that many of these things have been said over and over. But I think some things need to be posted here that haven't already. The point is, all the AA debate shows is that strong racial undertones still exist in American society. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about medical school admissions process. If you don't get in, it is your OWN FAULT. Show me the non-URM who attends HMS and who resents AA, and I show you a person who doesn't harbor resentment for URMs. Stop worrying about other people and handle your own business. This goes for both URMs and non-URMs. Nobody is holding you back except resentment of the other side. So, moving on, I think it's pertinent to re-post here some of the real reasons we have preferential admissions. Read it and understand:

I think this is pertinent and this is what adcoms are getting at. Black doctors are more likely to mentor young black students to become doctors than white doctors. You can't reverse a the vicious cycle of a culture that is anti-education until you have role models that are pro-education. The reason I asked Noroom to name black celebrities is that an overwhelming number of them are entertainers and athletes compared to whites. As a society where do we start to reverse the cycle? How can black doctors encourage young black elementary students (which is where most people would want to start to reverse the cycle) if there aren't any black doctors to encourage them? Many of you miscount the propensity of black doctors to help future black doctors. Being a black male, I feel a sense of pride and encouragement when I see or work with another black doctor. That is just a fact. Many white people probably don't know this, but blacks that casually encounter encounter each other in a white dominated professional field take time out to greet each other and show solidarity. It's just that black people relate to each other in a certain way that blacks and whites don't. This is not just a black-white thing. The same holds true for two countrymen that encounter each other in a foreign country. There is a certain bond. I know when I become a doctor I will do my best to mentor and encourage other blacks. Obviously I am not saying that white doctors will not or are unwilling to mentor blacks (bc I have many white mentors too) but more that blacks are more likely to mentor other blacks than whites.

But it is a problem when virtually the only successful black people you see on tv (youngsters are watching a whole lot more of this now I believe) are either athletes or entertainers. Try it. Turn on the tv flip through the channels and tell me in what light you see whites and what light do you see blacks. Then report back. Hell, the only "black" channel is "black entertainment television. My point is that yeah all kids grow up wanting to be athletes/rock stars. But when Jonny realizes he has no pitch his parents can say well look at so and so white person who is successful and not a rock star. But when the same thing happens to a typical black kid who else do they see on tv making money that is not an athlete or entertainer. I have been to the inner city schools and seriously these kids don't know any famous black people who aren't entertainers or athletes.

I can't tell you how many times I have been at an interview and I talked with a white applicant who says their mom, dad, or grandparents are doctors. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, that's awesome. But what's not awesome is that you would be hard pressed to find an african american family that has a traditiona of academic excellence and professional success. That is the problem currently facing us: that some black youngsters have no examples of academic excellence or professional success.

I went to a very prestigious university. First off I met white people in my hometown (this happened >90% of the time) they assumed I went to the local college (not very reputable) in my hometown. What's more when I told them I went out of state they thought I was in the military or something. Then, (now this happened every single time regardless if they were from my hometown or from anywhere else in the country) when I actually told them where I went to school they always asked me to repeat it (like a huh?) as if they didn't here me correctly the first time (I annunciate well and am a fine public speaker). I would then repeat it and their demeanor would change like that. Almost as if they now felt embarassed that they assumed something about me based on being a black male. You see this is something that only minorities see. And the unconcious lack of expectations for blacks are what is hurting our country. Sorry to go off, but that needed to be said. When people talk about seeing the world from a minority's point of view THIS is what they are talking about. There is nothing racist about what the white people above assumed. It's just certain pre-conceptions that people have. And many times these pre-conceptions turn into lost expectations.

What I am saying is that to alleviate the problem it's going to take both blacks AND whites going OUT OF THEIR WAY to mentor minorities. And my question to all of you is that regardless of your stance on AA if you would be willing to go out of your way. Bc seriously by no one going out of their way we will be left with the status quo. But if you think the status quo is the ideal situation for society that is a different story. Moose do you really want to help the situation and change people's attitudes? If so, what are you planning to do?

And please people, don't throw around the "we need to spend more money on inner-city schools" argument. If you know anything about American education, you know that the schools receiving the most federal aid are the ones that are performing the worst.

Anyway guys, carry on. And for the record, CHUCK NORRIS eats URM threads for breakfast. That is all.

riceman04 said:
The majority do not...numbers dont lie.

When you are seeing whatever you are seeing...you are observing an isolated incident and trying to generalize it to fit a larger perspective. That observation useless.

That does not mean that asian docs dont prac in these areas (b/c they do...especially those who are coming directly from other countries)...their numbers just are not as great

I only mentioned an observation because you did.

Also numbers CAN lie because statistics can and are often easily adjusted/twisted to support a particular argument. That doesn't mean they're wrong, it just means you can't blindly follow some numbers that were published somewhere.

1Path said:

1Path, I hope you realize that all I'm advocating is what I believe a fair system. I'm not saying that if we dissolve AA that it will end racism.

However, I am of the belief that any medical school's number one responsibility is to produce "competent" doctors, and I therefore see that ANY sort of extra advantage, especially one that deals with the skin color of the applicant (a factor which does not attest the potential of the individual to succeed) detracts from the aim of the applications process.

I know people are on two sides of the fence here. I'd like to add my own opinion. Just an opinion, no major set in stone stuff here.

Let us not forget the words of Martin Luther King, who only wanted people to be judged on the strength of their character rather than the color of their skin.

If we truly want to achieve that vision, we MUST abolish all checkboxes regarding race. If we keep those checkboxes, we are perpetuating the judgment by race that MLK so desperately wanted to abolish.

Yes, I know there were terrible terrible racial injustices done in this country years ago. Years can mean more than 1, so please don't go off on how 30 or 40 years ago isn't that long.. we have to start somewhere. Yet there are still white folk that hate black folk (for reasons they don't even know), there are black folk that hate white folk (again, for reasons they don't even know or no personal experience reasons), sisters and brothers still fight, girls hate boys, boys hate girls, protestants hate catholics, catholics hate protestants, we could go on and on.

You can't stop hate. But you can stop people from judging you based on a checkbox and start judging you on your merits. And isn't that what we all say we really want? We need to start somewhere. Getting rid of a few checkboxes is as good a place to start as anywhere else.

Sorry if this is rambly, but I haven't had my coffee yet this morning.

everyone should go see glory road. great movie about how one coach decided to let "negros" play college basketball in the early 60s and led them to a national title. true story. good stuff.
-dr. mota

ShyRem said:
I know people are on two sides of the fence here. I'd like to add my own opinion. Just an opinion, no major set in stone stuff here.

Let us not forget the words of Martin Luther King, who only wanted people to be judged on the strength of their character rather than the color of their skin.

If we truly want to achieve that vision, we MUST abolish all checkboxes regarding race. If we keep those checkboxes, we are perpetuating the judgment by race that MLK so desperately wanted to abolish.

Yes, I know there were terrible terrible racial injustices done in this country years ago. Years can mean more than 1, so please don't go off on how 30 or 40 years ago isn't that long.. we have to start somewhere. Yet there are still white folk that hate black folk (for reasons they don't even know), there are black folk that hate white folk (again, for reasons they don't even know or no personal experience reasons), sisters and brothers still fight, girls hate boys, boys hate girls, protestants hate catholics, catholics hate protestants, we could go on and on.

You can't stop hate. But you can stop people from judging you based on a checkbox and start judging you on your merits. And isn't that what we all say we really want? We need to start somewhere. Getting rid of a few checkboxes is as good a place to start as anywhere else.

Great post!!!!

gostudy said:
Ok, so yeah URM threads are pretty lame. Doing a search of previous threads will show you that many of these things have been said over and over. But I think some things need to be posted here that haven't already. The point is, all the AA debate shows is that strong racial undertones still exist in American society. There is absolutely no reason for anyone to complain about medical school admissions process. If you don't get in, it is your OWN FAULT. Show me the non-URM who attends HMS and who resents AA, and I show you a person who doesn't harbor resentment for URMs. Stop worrying about other people and handle your own business. This goes for both URMs and non-URMs. Nobody is holding you back except resentment of the other side. So, moving on, I think it's pertinent to re-post here some of the real reasons we have preferential admissions. Read it and understand:

I think this is pertinent and this is what adcoms are getting at. Black doctors are more likely to mentor young black students to become doctors than white doctors. You can't reverse a the vicious cycle of a culture that is anti-education until you have role models that are pro-education. The reason I asked Noroom to name black celebrities is that an overwhelming number of them are entertainers and athletes compared to whites. As a society where do we start to reverse the cycle? How can black doctors encourage young black elementary students (which is where most people would want to start to reverse the cycle) if there aren't any black doctors to encourage them? Many of you miscount the propensity of black doctors to help future black doctors. Being a black male, I feel a sense of pride and encouragement when I see or work with another black doctor. That is just a fact. Many white people probably don't know this, but blacks that casually encounter encounter each other in a white dominated professional field take time out to greet each other and show solidarity. It's just that black people relate to each other in a certain way that blacks and whites don't. This is not just a black-white thing. The same holds true for two countrymen that encounter each other in a foreign country. There is a certain bond. I know when I become a doctor I will do my best to mentor and encourage other blacks. Obviously I am not saying that white doctors will not or are unwilling to mentor blacks (bc I have many white mentors too) but more that blacks are more likely to mentor other blacks than whites.

But it is a problem when virtually the only successful black people you see on tv (youngsters are watching a whole lot more of this now I believe) are either athletes or entertainers. Try it. Turn on the tv flip through the channels and tell me in what light you see whites and what light do you see blacks. Then report back. Hell, the only "black" channel is "black entertainment television. My point is that yeah all kids grow up wanting to be athletes/rock stars. But when Jonny realizes he has no pitch his parents can say well look at so and so white person who is successful and not a rock star. But when the same thing happens to a typical black kid who else do they see on tv making money that is not an athlete or entertainer. I have been to the inner city schools and seriously these kids don't know any famous black people who aren't entertainers or athletes.

I can't tell you how many times I have been at an interview and I talked with a white applicant who says their mom, dad, or grandparents are doctors. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, that's awesome. But what's not awesome is that you would be hard pressed to find an african american family that has a traditiona of academic excellence and professional success. That is the problem currently facing us: that some black youngsters have no examples of academic excellence or professional success.

I went to a very prestigious university. First off I met white people in my hometown (this happened >90% of the time) they assumed I went to the local college (not very reputable) in my hometown. What's more when I told them I went out of state they thought I was in the military or something. Then, (now this happened every single time regardless if they were from my hometown or from anywhere else in the country) when I actually told them where I went to school they always asked me to repeat it (like a huh?) as if they didn't here me correctly the first time (I annunciate well and am a fine public speaker). I would then repeat it and their demeanor would change like that. Almost as if they now felt embarassed that they assumed something about me based on being a black male. You see this is something that only minorities see. And the unconcious lack of expectations for blacks are what is hurting our country. Sorry to go off, but that needed to be said. When people talk about seeing the world from a minority's point of view THIS is what they are talking about. There is nothing racist about what the white people above assumed. It's just certain pre-conceptions that people have. And many times these pre-conceptions turn into lost expectations.

What I am saying is that to alleviate the problem it's going to take both blacks AND whites going OUT OF THEIR WAY to mentor minorities. And my question to all of you is that regardless of your stance on AA if you would be willing to go out of your way. Bc seriously by no one going out of their way we will be left with the status quo. But if you think the status quo is the ideal situation for society that is a different story. Moose do you really want to help the situation and change people's attitudes? If so, what are you planning to do?

And please people, don't throw around the "we need to spend more money on inner-city schools" argument. If you know anything about American education, you know that the schools receiving the most federal aid are the ones that are performing the worst.

Anyway guys, carry on. And for the record, CHUCK NORRIS eats URM threads for breakfast. That is all.
You know what, I found a part of your post to be absolutely right on the mark:

"Stop worrying about other people and handle your own business. "

So, tell me, why should I be so concerned, so worried that "some black youngsters have no examples of academic excellence or professional success"? I'm going to handle my own business, like you said, and suggest that it is up to the role models of these black youngsters to become doctors, lawyers, etc. through hard work and fix this problem. Anyone who suggests that AA does this is incredibly naive.

Another valid point you make is that "it is a problem when virtually the only successful black people you see on tv (youngsters are watching a whole lot more of this now I believe) are either athletes or entertainers. Try it. Turn on the tv flip through the channels and tell me in what light you see whites and what light do you see blacks. Then report back." So obviously, AA, which has been in effect for nearly 40 years, clearly is not working.

Before I "go out of my way " to help African Americans, I'd like to see a lot more go out of their way first. This is why affirmative action's noble goal to produce a nation of ethnically diverse doctors is futile. You wouldn't believe how much scholarship money reserved for African Americans goes unclaimed.

I could not find any other valid points in your argument.

ShyRem said:

Exactly. Would anyone like to disagree?

I don't mean to be racist, but an interesting observation is that even though Asians have almost 0 preferential treatment in applying to medical school, they are still overrepresented! 1st generation Asians have no URM status or legacy and most of them don't come from very wealthy families. Considering that Asians originally came to America in pretty much the same state as most non-black URM families and were subject to a lot of racism and inequality in the past, it's interesting that they have become ORMs.

I'm not an Asian, btw.

Jaykms said:
I don't mean to be racist, but an interesting observation is that even though Asians have almost 0 preferential treatment in applying to medical school, they are still overrepresented! 1st generation Asians have no URM status or legacy and most of them don't come from very wealthy families. Considering that Asians originally came to America in pretty much the same state as most non-black URM families and were subject to a lot of racism and inequality in the past, it's interesting that they have become ORMs.

I'm not an Asian, btw.

I agree- I think the Korean and Vietnamese immigrants who come over here and manage to succeed are evidence that what really matters is not special advantages but a cultural emphasis on education...

Virgil said:
You know what, I found a part of your post to be absolutely right on the mark:

"Stop worrying about other people and handle your own business. "

So, tell me, why should I be so concerned, so worried that "some black youngsters have no examples of academic excellence or professional success"? I'm going to handle my own business, like you said, and suggest that it is up to the role models of these black youngsters to become doctors, lawyers, etc. through hard work and fix this problem. Anyone who suggests that AA does this is incredibly naive.

Another valid point you make is that "it is a problem when virtually the only successful black people you see on tv (youngsters are watching a whole lot more of this now I believe) are either athletes or entertainers. Try it. Turn on the tv flip through the channels and tell me in what light you see whites and what light do you see blacks. Then report back." So obviously, AA, which has been in effect for nearly 40 years, clearly is not working.

Before I "go out of my way " to help African Americans, I'd like to see a lot more go out of their way first. This is why affirmative action's noble goal to produce a nation of ethnically diverse doctors is futile. You wouldn't believe how much scholarship money reserved for African Americans goes unclaimed.

I could not find any other valid points in your argument.

Ok so since it is not working, why are you so worried about it?

OMG I could not agree with you more. In undergrad I tried to claim it, but most of them wanted me to attend an HBCU and I was not going for that.

Now that is something I am thoroughly upset about...but then again many kids do not know about these scholarships b/c many do not know that they exist (for various reasons)...but that's another topic

I have to agree with you there though.

do you know where I can find minority scholarships for med school?
Fastweb does not have any

riceman04 said:

His worry isn't that blacks will succeed; his worry is that the system is unfair to other races and isn't really helping the race it's intended to benefit on a larger scale.

Jaykms said:

I'm not an Asian, btw.

Interestingly, you also will find the same thing among 1st and 2nd generation Africans. The problem is many blacks don't value education like other races and ethnicities do. It's a black culture thing that needs to be reversed. Anyone have any solutions other than AA? I mean we spend so much time complaining about it. What should be done to correct the problem which AA unsuccessful sets out to repair?

riceman04 said:

I think he's trying to say it is working in that people are succesfully taking advantage of it, but it's not causing the changes we hoped it would.

I was speaking with an afr amer adcom professor who is pro-AA and he said that a lot of the AA is going to people who don't need it or don't deserve it and that's why it's not working. (for example, he said a large percentage of afr. amer. that are in med school are actually from Caribbean countries or their ancestry is caribbean so they shouldn't be entititled to AA but they get it anyway)

gostudy said:
Interestingly, you also will find the same thing among 1st and 2nd generation Africans. The problem is many blacks don't value education like other races and ethnicities do. It's a black culture thing that needs to be reversed. Anyone have any solutions other than AA? I mean we spend so much time complaining about it. What should be done to correct the problem which AA unsuccessful sets out to repair?

Well, if the problem really is that there aren't enough black role models, than as 1st and 2nd generation Africans fill more slots in med school and law school, maybe the rest of the black population will realize that their skin color isn't holding them back from success and will work hard to perform well on an even playing field.

gostudy said:

You make an excellent point. The part of black culture that doesn't value education must be reversed if this problem is to be solved. AA is not going to do it, and unless it is, we'll have to continue AA forever.

'INANE COMMENT'

-don't hate the player, hate the game...

Think about it, what is wrong/broken in the system that a procedure like Afrimative Action is allowed to operate. There obviously must be some real need if AMA supports and sponsors the idea, no.

Jaykms said:
You make an excellent point. The part of black culture that doesn't value education must be reversed if this problem is to be solved. AA is not going to do it, and unless it is, we'll have to continue AA forever.

Which is why I am now asking the question of what is a better solution to the problem than AA. We spend so much time complaining about it and criticizing it, but we come up with zero solutions. So, I am asking peeps out there what should be done to encourage more URMs to enter the sciences and medicine. And the money in education thing is null as I have stated earlier. More money doesn't equal success. Solutions anyone? It would make this discussion more worthwhile.

I don't know how much you guys know about India, but the government there put in a system similar to AA (although it was mandatory - 20% of the class had to be URM) for people that were oppressed/denied admission to schools during the time of the caste system. Turns out the URMs there took advantage of the benefits, worked hard, made it to the top of their fields, and encouraged more of their people to do the same. Now the URMs are becoming ORMs and they're dominating in medicine and engineering.

I think that's what AA was supposed to do here but for cultural and other reasons it hasn't worked.

Thank God Almighty! You recognize that AA is not working, and hopefully you also see that it needlessly perpetuates discrimination and is an unfair system.

I wish I had solutions to this problem, but it seems to me that the problem comes from the African-American community itself. As we have seen throughout the years, an indirect attempt to rectify this, such as AA, does not work. The change has to happen from within the community itself, or at least I think so.

gostudy said:
Which is why I am now asking the question of what is a better solution to the problem than AA. We spend so much time complaining about it and criticizing it, but we come up with zero solutions. So, I am asking peeps out there what should be done to encourage more URMs to enter the sciences and medicine. And the money in education thing is null as I have stated earlier. More money doesn't equal success. Solutions anyone? It would make this discussion more worthwhile.

Since it's a problem that's part of african american culture, the only people that can solve it are african americans themselves- especially those that are educated and successful. If they can't do it, there is no other way.

Edit: Sorry, on second thought that was a useless comment...

Virgil said:
Thank God Almighty! You recognize that AA is not working, and hopefully you also see that it needlessly perpetuates discrimination and is an unfair system.

I wish I had solutions to this problem, but it seems to me that the problem comes from the African-American community itself. As we have seen throughout the years, an indirect attempt to rectify this, such as AA, does not work. The change has to happen from within the community itself, or at least I think so.

No you are right about a change needing to occur within the community. The problem is where to begin! We can start with education, but then you have to deal with parents who dont give a damn and who, in many ways, are a detriment to their child's development into a mature and goal oriented individual.

It is disheartning to see a cycle such as that which occurs in these neighborhoods.

Jaykms said:
Edit: Sorry, on second thought that was a useless comment...

It is important to understand why some communities dont value education. What is present that persuades people to overlook something so valuable, like education? What are the detrimental factors present that may somehow be able to be reversed?